Maple Syrup season 2015

Rod Caster

Finished off 5L last night. Pulled taps and cleaned everything up. Not sure how next year will be, we're moving and dont have the maples there. Going to have to find a few trees to tap now.

I think I finished about 16l this year. No monster runs like other years, slow and steady.

S.

I have access to a few bushs around, its just a matter of finding the most convenient one with the best access.

I did birch a few years ago, just one tree. Its different than maple for sure, and the yeild is crazy low. Hardly worth it IMO.

S.

With the rain coming this week, I'd say my season is over. Today I had another good run and I'm right now boiling down some dark syrup, maybe 2-3L worth.

My total will be approx. 8L for 17 taps. Not bad, not great. Some trees produced extremely well and others were essentially duds. Next year I hope to double my tree count and aim for 20L of syrup.

For this summer I'll be tending to my maple forest, creating trails, a proper fire pit (concrete or blocks maybe), thinning out trees and applying forest management techniques.

Maple syrup season makes you appreciate winter, without it, there would be no sap runs!

If you have a south facing slope, set up some lines. Its the best way to go. I have the slope, but its facing the wrong way, and my lines kept freezing up, so the buckets were the best way to go.

It wasn't a great run this year, but we have no control over it, and its always interesting.

S.

If you have a south facing slope, set up some lines. Its the best way to go. I have the slope, but its facing the wrong way, and my lines kept freezing up, so the buckets were the best way to go.

It wasn't a great run this year, but we have no control over it, and its always interesting.

S.

Yep, I slope hard to the north as well. Discussing with my buddy, we were thinking of using tubing for a few clusters and then buckets for the rest. Good point about the freezing-up, I really didn't consider that.

I just jarred the last 2.75L of dark syrup for 2015! Is it a good idea to take maple shots just before bed??

edit: once I get a chance to upload the million photos I took this month I'll post photos of my season.

Edited by Rod Caster