Brutal winter-Will it affect the spring bite ?

knightfisher

I know everything north was late i.e. weed growth. I can only talk about Erie. Even though the lake was 100% frozen for the first time in many, many years the Bass and Walleye were right on time. Bass were off the beds before opening. Some how the lake temps came up very fast in June. The perch however stayed deep and stayed there all season here.

I can't see this fishing season as much different, perhaps a bit better because last winter was colder than this year. That cold snap in December lasted until April. Yesterday a farmer I know well told us this spring will bring winter temps, I wanted to bop him in the snazz.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Things can change quickly. But we can't control the weather. Last year was one of my best years ever, you just have to be prepared to experiment to find a pattern that is working and grind it out. Not the most fun at all times, but interesting and quite a learning experience.

I'm a fan of the later spring. Still too early to say though...

Yes, too early to predict a late spring for sure. I don't know why people are so up in arms about a tough winter. Its been nothing close to a hard winter. Im tapping trees today. I know its early, but its going to happen sooner or later.

S.

Yes, too early to predict a late spring for sure. I don't know why people are so up in arms about a tough winter. Its been nothing close to a hard winter. Im tapping trees today. I know its early, but its going to happen sooner or later.

S.

Tapping today???? Did you fall and hurt yourself recently :whistling:

February has been harsh. More cold and snow in a 4 week span then I have every experienced. But December and January where awesome. I'd take our Dec-Jan weather we got this year every winter for the rest of my life if I could get it.

February has been harsh. More cold and snow in a 4 week span then I have every experienced. But December and January where awesome. I'd take our Dec-Jan weather we got this year every winter for the rest of my life if I could get it.

Nope, no injuries lately. We have school groups starting next week, so have to have everything done. My trees at home won't be touched for a while yet.

S.

December?

You like 2 degrees and raining garbage.

Here in the tropics it was -14 f when I woke up, the last day of February? Unless the spring heats up fast here we may have ice around the docks and marinas into April? Usually next month sometime (March) is the start of the spring walleye run up some of the rivers, and April is usually prime crappie time, that may get delayed a bit?

We are currently at our 5th winter on record with days below zero f, there is more ice on the lakes and snow pack on the ground than normal, that usually means the water isn't going to warm up anytime soon?

The county that I live in has the largest number of private ponds in the state, I suspect that winter fish kill will be a problem for a lot of them.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0008.html