Mooching reel - rod selection

Fisherpete

I have just added a mooching reel to my salmon arsenal for this summer. The concept seems very cool, can't wait to try it out. I've seen them in use on many shows, usually in the west coast.

Would love to hear some feedback and tips from those of you who use them. I was planning on just using it with one of my current downrigger rods, any drawbacks to this? If that's not the best way to go, does anyone have a suggestion for a mooching specific rod?

Thanks

Pete

Lets face it;

Catching salmon in the lake with levelwinds is really a simple task, so long as you have the drag set correctly, and an overactive thumb does not try and stop the fish on a run.

Many years ago I used to charter for salmon on Lake O. When out with my friends we used the Shimano mooching reels, instead of the levelwinds. It was a lot more fun. Used them on the same Fenwick rigger rods, and had no issues with the rods.

You should enjoy the catching a lot more with the mooching reels.

Mine is on an old Fenwick Fenglas steelhead blank, a 1264 or 1262 , a 10 1/2 foot slow action blank, probably 12 or so inches of cork behind the reel seat and 8 inches in front of the seat, similar to a float rod.

edit: it's a homebuilt

Edited by dave524

Thanks for all the info guys. I added it simply for the fun aspect... cause it looks like a blast! I'll start out with it on one of my rigger rods and go from there.

Bill - thanks for the warning... they are called 'knuckle busters' for a good reason I'm guessing LOL!

Cheers

Pete

I run those Mitchell 782s, red band model if that makes any difference. They are a riot.

I read it after the fact on Lake Ontario United or Spoonpullers, there was a issue with the drag and one of them has an updated drag system. I never had an issue, actually kept it on the light side and palmed it like a float reel for additional drag.

I see Rapala Canada has several 10 1/2 foot models that might fill the bill for a traditional mooching rod over the counter.

http://www.rapala.ca/products/classic-trolling

As weve spoken about Pete, my uncle who fishes salmon out west outfit my dad and moochers are all we run.

I did a salmon trip on lake O and after fighting salmon on their set ups i wondered why anyone would ever not use a moocher.

There is nothing like the feeling of building tension and the reel spinning out drag at 100mph.

Probably the most fun ive ever had fighting fish.

One problem with the 782 was, if filled with mono the line would expand in the sun and bend the spool enough to bind on the shaft. Some used a backing to give room for expansion, I wraped sticky back foam weatherstrip at the bottum of the spool.

782 on 12' noodle rod 1/2 mile 10lb ande line

I picked up two 12' hooligan carp rods at a yard sale that I'm going to rig for salmon with moochers and maybe ad a few guides.

The old spiral wrapped Fenglas sticks?

I have a stable of those rods. :D

Built a lot of those too back in the day, spent a lot of time and money at Lorne Green's rodbuilding shop back between 1975 an 2000, what Fenwick built those 9 foot Riggersticks on were 9 foot 10 weight fly rods blanks according to Lorne. He marketed another heavier rod as a " Kingstalker " his name not Fenwick's , what that was was simply a 9 foot 12 wt. Fenglas flyrod blank. Back then most rods marketed as steelhead rods were West Coast design and far too heavy for Great Lakes streams, seems most of my early steelhead builds were on fly blanks too. I would think anyone looking to build a riggerstick would still do well to look at heavy wt. fly blanks for that slower action desireable in a rigger rod.