Joe Opener

BowSlayer101

Opener finally came around on one of my favourite lakes and I decided to go into the cold on Sunday and get myself a few lakers. It was cold and we didn't really wanna move around so we just went out, set up and drilled holes, after we put the fish finder down and got comfy in the hut, I quickly became aware that there was no fish under us, lol. It was too late and too cold to move so I decided I would lure them in with some spoons and a set line and later move on to jigs. It was apparent that lots of guys around us were hooking up with tiny lakers but it was ok, because I was after a fight and a fight I got! I was jigging a spoon 20 ft off bottom and saw something come up from bottom, I asked my fishing partner if that was him coming up and before he could reply, the answer was obvious as a laker almost took the rod out of my hand! Had him on for a minute or so and that while time, I couldn't even stop him from peeling line with my 10 lb braid. I dropped down again and hooked a nice fish, much smaller than the previous one but still nice. After that I lost a monster on a set line and a few tiny 15 inch lakers later, I hooked up with a keeper on a set line, took me a while to bring hm up but it turned out to be a real nice fish, a nice sized herring also came out of its mouth as I was pulling it up. Met some guys that got a real nice laker near me, overall was a good day to be out, despite not hooking up with as many as I'd hoped, the cold and having to keep 2 heaters going! Got out again yesterday and managed 10 big herring on a northern lake and lost very likely the biggest whitefish of my life right under the hole on a peeling run, good weekend was had, lots of fun, hopefully have some more fun next weekend!IMG_20150215_125518_zps3d9df908.jpgIMG_20150215_160353_zpseab584cb.jpg

Nice fish pix - thanx. Good to hear Joe has some nice sized Lakers. Heard lottsa stories of catching much smaller lakers. And they're good eating.

Joe is usually a small fish factory. You catch a 10lbr out of there, consider yourself lucky (A fish like that should also be released, eat the small ones)

I ain't doing that drive for 15 inchers lol, 5 lbs and up for me if I can get them, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Lots of small fish for sure but if you're willing to sacrifice quantity, you can get big fish in certain spots.

This is why I don't fish Joe for big fish :) The steady action is fun though.

Yup, exactly if you know where to go, its easy to get big ones, I've had days on Joe where I was hooking up with 15-20 Lakers a day, all over 5 lbs, I've had fish that I couldn't even move, for some reason on Joe, the 8+ poundrs get off really easy for me, especially when they get near the hole. On simcoe they seem to be more cooperative for me lol.

If you have to smoke something just so its edible, thats pretty gross in my opinion. To each their own I guess.
Ive tasted lake simcoe fish (perch,whitefish,lakers) and they're not good at all. The whole lake is polluted thats for sure.[/quote"] First off, smoking is one of the best ways to prepare these type of fish (herring, Lakers, whities) secondly, lake simcoe whities and perch taste horrible and its a very polluted lake? I can understand why you wouldn't like the greasy simcoe Lakers but whities and perch? Something's wrong with you dude, lol, and I mean sure its polluted but compared to other lakes in the area, its one of the cleanest.
Edited by BowSlayer101