Auger pin

Mr.Topwater!

You guys give this stuff way too much thought!.. and it's probably 3/8ths .. not 1/4"

A proper PTO pin should be grade 5 (125,000psi). If you are too stupid to make sure the bail is locked.. then you get what you deserve. Otherwise it will bend before it breaks.

Grade 8 is too hard (160,000 psi)... it will break before it bends. Giving you the same results as fisherman's video.

G.. if you are worried about your "shear" bolts.. just buy the cheap Chinese bolts from CTC or walmart. Otherwise use grade 5's and just grind a grove into them just beyond the shafts diameter. This will give them a spot to shear clean.

Edited by irishfield

I've been using a hitch pin for 2 years now. I figure if I can trust it to tow a sled weighing about 150lbs all over simcoe bumping and banging around all over the place, then it will probably hold up just fine to an auger. So far so good. I just took my auger bolt into home hardware and matched the size, and got one a little longer. Presto, instant quick release and it holds up just fine!

fisherman - thanx - that certainly opened my eyes!! The original bolt on my auger is 3/8". I have always had a spare 3/8" eyebolt taped to the handle. (never had to use it). The eyebolt allows me use it with gloves on & also not carry a wrench. After watching the video (poor guy) I'm going to get a longer eyebolt so it passes through the nut, drill a small hole through the end of the eyebolt & insert a small cotter pin to stop the eyebolt from backing out of the nut. I don't want to be filmed saying OH NO - as my auger bit disappears!!