Snakehead fish

huzzsaba

I heard If you catch one, you must kill it. I know possession is illegal. How about taking it home and eating it? I know the snakehead is eaten by a lot of people in other parts of the world especially in the Asia. Supposedly it tastes very good.

Edited by huzzsaba

You will be hard pressed to catch one up that far North. The rules in the USA is you can catch them but it is illegal to return them to the water. It used to be we turned them in to the Department of Natural Resources but the data has been collected and they are deemed an invasive species. The bright side is they fight like a champ and are very good to eat. We dine on them as often as we can catch them.

Art

Is Bowfin ACTUALLY non edible??? If so im curious why

I always kinda assumed if it wasn't toxic/poisonous a fish would be edible.

I don't think that it's toxic. It just doesn't taste very good. It would be more accurate to say that you wouldn't want to eat it.

Bowfin Tacos

It uses one whole 2lb fish to feed two adults. The fish should be gutted then frozen, then allowed to defrost in the fridge so that the meat literally turns to mush when you try to clean it.

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and pour in lime juice (lemon works in a pinch, but lime gives the fish a little extra 'zing'). Scrape your fish flesh out of the bowfin with a spoon, knife, fingers, or whatever else works. Fling the mushy stuff into the skillet and allow it to simmer in the lime juice, chopping it apart as it cooks (this gives it the right consistency for taco meat). Once it's cooked and most of the lime juice has been absorbed or cooked off, drain your meat then mix in the taco seasoning of your choice, following the directions on the package. The fish doesn't overpower the seasoning's flavor, so you get a much more potent kick than you do when you use beef.

Serve on tortillas with salsa, cheese, lettuce, sour cream and anything else you desire. Yum!!