cooking thread...

As OIM said, quick and simple is often the best. Nothing better than a 20 minute pasta dinner.

Pasta al carbonata is simple and delish. Fry some bacon til really crisp and crumble it. Boil any pasta you desire. While cooking the pasta, whip together 3-4 eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, diced oregano and parsley. Once cooked drain the pasta quickly, Then while steaming hot put back in the pot, stir in the egg mix. No heat required. Egg mixture will cook right onto the hot pasta. Add whatever cheese fits your appetite

My lunch favourite was pasta al olio. A blend of EVO, lots of garlic, dried mushroom, chopped chive, oregano and basil, poured over the hot drained pasta and dressed with cheese.

As for cheeses, parmesan is O.K. Personally I prefer finely grated friule or shredded asiago. Regretably, that does not happen often. My family has no taste for things that are different and, often, finer.

As OIM said, quick and simple is often the best. Nothing better than a 20 minute pasta dinner.

Pasta al carbonata is simple and delish. Fry some bacon til really crisp and crumble it. Boil any pasta you desire. While cooking the pasta, whip together 3-4 eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, diced oregano and parsley. Once cooked drain the pasta quickly, Then while steaming hot put back in the pot, stir in the egg mix. No heat required. Egg mixture will cook right onto the hot pasta. Add whatever cheese fits your appetite

My lunch favourite was pasta al olio. A blend of EVO, lots of garlic, dried mushroom, chopped chive, oregano and basil, poured over the hot drained pasta and dressed with cheese.

As for cheeses, parmesan is O.K. Personally I prefer finely grated friule or shredded asiago. Regretably, that does not happen often. My family has no taste for things that are different and, often, finer.

What do you do with the bacon and/or bacon fat?

Doug

Got up early this morning to a beautiful sunrise hear in sunny Antigua, caught a small Trevally Jack and was back at 8:30am. my dad got a treat of fried fish for breakfast with a side of fresh melon and orange slices from the tree in the yard here. Basically gutted the fish and coated in seasoned flour and into the skillet, he loved it!

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hopefully catch a snook in the next few days, gonna steam it with lemon.....

Darn that looks like a nice light, fresh pick me up meal right there!!!

Hows does it compare in flavour/texture to say, crappie?

What do you do with the bacon and/or bacon fat?

Doug

The crumbled bacon is spread in with the cheese. Can't add the fat as it would prevent the egg from sticking to the pasta.

I save bacon drippings for browning meat in other dishes

Edited by bigugli

The crumbled bacon is spread in with the cheese. Can't add the fat as it would prevent the egg from sticking to the pasta.

I figured that but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the call-back.

Doug

Bacon drippings are for frying eggs. Gives them flavor. Frying perch too. LOL My pop always has a mason jar in the fridge. :canadian:

I have a great dinner planned for two this weekend. It,s a take from when I was a bus boy working at a italian resturanti. Sure hope I dont catch any fish, as the plans may change. :whistling:

Bacon drippings are for frying eggs. Gives them flavor. Frying perch too. LOL My pop always has a mason jar in the fridge. :canadian:

I have a great dinner planned for two this weekend. It,s a take from when I was a bus boy working at a italian resturanti. Sure hope I dont catch any fish, as the plans may change. :whistling:

I just happen to keep a Mason jar of bacon fat in the fridge myself.

Don't forget about FRIED ONIONS in bacon fat! And FRIED POTATOES in bacon fat!!!! I admit, for a big pan of either I also add some margarine or olive oil, or whatever, as the bacon fat can't take the heat all that long before it starts burning............

When you catch those fish, put them in the freezer to smoke them later! (Unless they're perch..............then you could freeze them for a chowder)............I want to see what the secret BUSBOY recipe looks like!

Doug

Is that spanish rice?

No Sir, 5 minute brown rice done in V8 juice with some soya, sauteed mushroom, onion and green peas added in at the start of the rice cooking.

A matter of convenience as it was the only rice in house. My daughter bought it and not surprisingly she loved it. ;)

I think OIM might approve :dunno:

Simple tomatoe with herb and chile paste fresh crushed garlic, with long pasta. Covered with a light dusting of parma.

Takes no time to make and it,s comfort.

attachicon.gif007.JPG

I approve whole heartedly. Don't forget to finish all tomato sauces with a drizzle of EVO, extra virgin olive oil. Just a bit.

Yea rub it in Brian. Nice catch. How did you do them? I am into Panko for the last few years. Some of the guys say they don't like the Panko but have no problem eating it. I just like the texture better than packaged stuff like Fish Crisp. Crushed Ritz crackers and Corn Flakes are favorites of mine too. I'll eat fresh fish raw if I have to although I'm not a big fan of Samishi at all actually. I have a story for that but have been told I tell too many stories.

Yea rub it in Brian. Nice catch. How did you do them? I am into Panko for the last few years. Some of the guys say they don't like the Panko but have no problem eating it. I just like the texture better than packaged stuff like Fish Crisp. Crushed Ritz crackers and Corn Flakes are favorites of mine too. I'll eat fresh fish raw if I have to although I'm not a big fan of Samishi at all actually. I have a story for that but have been told I tell too many stories.

Well original FC. I like the fact it repells the oil. Soya bean flour. Nice dry crispy fish. Not oily

Edited by Brian B

Looks great brian!

OI I prefer panko for most fish.

In a bind Ive even used cool ranch doritos or seasoned croutons(both were actually quite good lol)

As I said brian, ive only did whitefish once and aI did it whole. I cant even remember who taught me to make it but it was an OFC member.

Stuffed with onions and seasoned, garlic I think and baked. It was very tasty