Ice fishing fatality on Scugog

ketchenany

Tragic for sure and I feel for the family.

However given a choice I'd rather go out that way then hooked up to machines lying in a hospital bed waiting for them to pull the plug on me. Not saying his choice was wise...just saying I'd rather spend my last day doing something I loved.

AMEN

I drove by Scugog last week and there was plenty of ice (or at least it looked like it). However, there were several spots out in the middle of the lake where there was open water in patches.

One of the reasons Scucog is so dangerous is because of the springs in the lake, there can be 6" of ice all over the area but suddenly there is a patch (could be 4' or 40') where there is only a 1/2" of ice.

None of us go fishing thinking we will risk our lives but many of us do. I can't count the times I have seen guys fishing out here in a thunder storm, graphite rods, an aluminum boat, lightning..... fortunatly most of us get away with it! Saddly this fisherman didn't!

I feel badly for this guy's family ... really do .... but it was only a matter of time till a story like this appeared in the paper. It's cold today, but it was above freezing for most of last week and through most of the weekend. How thick did he really think the ice was?

I'm amazed that people will happily risk their life for a couple of perch and some weiner-sized walleyes. You know, fish you generally wouldn't even bother with in open water.

I guess I will just never get ice fishing.

Last month a fellow member posted some pics of him on ice with open water mere feet from him. I said I thought the edge of the ice looked like a few inches not 5 or whatever he said and he blasted me for what reason I do not know. I still think that anyone fishing on ice near open water is nuts. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. All waters are not the same. I know it can be touch and go on a river because of currents and here on Erie where water levels change I have bored a hole and found the water 4" below the ice. That's not good either I think.

Erring on the side of caution is the best way to go, no doubt Ironmaker, the pictures look dicey but I think Selfmade was on slightly older ice adjacent to newer ice, not open water. I enjoy both your guys input here, JMHO

Sad story on Scugog, I don't like to hear stuff like that, hopefully we learn from it