New TV tecnology....NF!

lookinforwalleye

if you watch OTA antenna your 720 signal is uncompressed. cable is compressed.

1080i is really 540x2, you're better off watching in 720p especially action movies and sports.

we ditched cable two years ago, just OTA, streaming and other internet content now. mostly 720p and 1080p content.

Edited by Raf

206 provided a link in his post above. (my copy and paste nfg) For anyone here that want's a very layman's explanation of what is the difference between 720 P and up to the 4K systems please read it. I have learned more from that short blog than most everything else I have tried to read because it's understandable for this simple consumer. It should be used as a training tool for some of the pimply face pencil necked geeks that try to impress you at the big box stores with all sorts of techy terminology, obtuse numbers and acronyms. LOL. Notice the LOL please. Hahaha. New year new me.

You hit that nail dead on Bill. By the time I'm entering any place I'm leaving my green all I need to know from the sales person is, well actually nothing. It can be frightening eaves dropping in on sales persons pitches when he or she is does not have a clue what they are talking about giving a dog and pony show. It can be disturbing. I have been known to take the buyer to the side and give them my opinion. The thing is I am thanked more times than I'm told to bugger off. Actually have never been told to take a hike. I may not know the difference between 1080P and 4K but do know the difference between thin set and mastic.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I can just barely remember my parents TV antenna, then the 13 channels on the dial and then finally a corded converter, complete with wood grain and all. My dad was in the TV biz and we got a lot of toys early now my son reaps the benefits of this obsession that's in my blood... Im embarrassed to list the electronics this kid has. Anyway, as the TV repair man's son. Here's what I recommend. Always buy the middle of the road! It was yesterdays top of the line set, they've worked the bugs out if there was any, and your brand new fancy TV will be the middle one sooner than you think. We've always done that and its worked for us every time! Unless money is no object then buy the best because why not?

Also keep in mind that the HD content must be purchased for extra $ usually and most fishing shows are low res....need I say more? also the truth is most TV's will look pretty good once ya get them home, especially compared to the one being replaced.

A great choice. I hope you don't have a glare issue. Ours does but it is 7 years old and those plasmas back then they recommended a dark environment. I don't know if it applies today.

Shloim mentioned his father was a TV Repairman, another profession gone the way of the Dodo bird. Just like the "Milkman" the "Honeyman" in he city and the soon to be outdated "Mailman".

That is so true. The industry killed that job. In his final working years around the time DVD players were getting popular, the manufacturers closed their parts departments to the general trade. You had to be a dealer to get parts and stuff was expensive. A 27" TV that you couldnt give away today was over $1000...

You will love that plasma. Definitely the way to go. I own Sammy and Panny plasmas and still get compliments on the quality of the picture/colour. Super important to make sure your set is properly calibrated. Hunt around on the web for suggested settings and go from there.

You will love that plasma. Definitely the way to go. I own Sammy and Panny plasmas and still get compliments on the quality of the picture/colour. Super important to make sure your set is properly calibrated. Hunt around on the web for suggested settings and go from there.

Make sure you've burnt in the set before applying any of the setting you find on AVSForums or similar, etc..

Bill, what do you mean by burnt in ?

A plasma TV is a phosphor based device, which can have issues with burn-in and image retention. Basically what you're doing here is exercising the TV for the first 80-100hrs so it's gets harder and harder for image retention to happen. I know guys that didn't bother with 'burn-in' and their sets are fine.. When I picked up my Panasonic VT, I did it more for peace of mind :)

A plasma TV is a phosphor based device, which can have issues with burn-in and image retention. Basically what you're doing here is exercising the TV for the first 80-100hrs so it's gets harder and harder for image retention to happen. I know guys that didn't bother with 'burn-in' and their sets are fine.. When I picked up my Panasonic VT, I did it more for peace of mind :)

Ah totally forgot about that. Did that for my first plasma, but not the 2nd. I remember it being important 6 years ago but totally forgot to do it with the more recent one. Both are set for auto-shut off after a few hours just in case the kids leave something up on the screen.

Make sure you've burnt in the set before applying any of the setting you find on AVSForums or similar, etc..

I have looked at these settings and I did try the quote professional calibrated setting and truthfully I thought they were horrible but I guess everybody's eyes see things differently, right now I prefer the factory settings. Edited by lookinforwalleye