Anyone ever ice fish for speckled trout on a small creek/river?

Rod Caster

Specks are closed until much later in the ice fishing season, but when it opens, I'm considering trying to ice fish for them in the small river behind my house. Max depth is maybe 6-7 feet with lots of shallow/fast current areas. I'd likely try deeper areas just below rapids.

Anyone ever try this? I'd have to be very careful obviously but it wouldn't be impossible. I wonder if my chances of catching are any good?

This is a picture of JoeyTier sneaking up on a good pool early summer.

IMG_20140430_190424_zpsb40fc95d.jpg

This spring Brad! I could probably wrangle up Dana and Joey for a spec adventure. If Brian wants to give me a fly fishing lesson, he's in too hahaha.

If you have a camper, lots of space to camp on my land.

If/when I pull some specs from below those runs in the winter, that would be quite the unique experience.

Definitely more effort to do this, but they do get to 16"+ and it's on my property so a bit of extra incentive

on your property!!! frig figure it out and give er a shot! just make sure your safe

specks through the ice would be an epic report!!!

you have a float suite eh rc?

Edited by manitoubass2

I have done this. Mind you it was on a creek north of Moosonee, and despite swift current, there was still over a foot of ice. Caught some REALLY nice brookies on cleos and flies on a three way swivel with a weight holding them in place and a slow "jigging" motion to basically move them forward and back in the current. It can be done, but be mindful of that ice.

-b

Joey, we walked like 3 kms that time! Probably not the best choice in hip waders at +30 after a beer night haha

Rick, it's about 600 meters behind my house and I have no direct trail to it yet. Biggest obstacle is the fast drop over the last 200 meters. It's a semi-difficult trek. Nice thing is no One else has easy access for a few kilometres

Joey, we walked like 3 kms that time! Probably not the best choice in hip waders at +30 after a beer night haha

Rick, it's about 600 meters behind my house and I have no direct trail to it yet. Biggest obstacle is the fast drop over the last 200 meters. It's a semi-difficult trek. Nice thing is no One else has easy access for a few kilometres

can I come visit? lol