First ice on Eagle Lake, walleye report.

limeyangler

Hi all,

Got out for the first ice session of the season. Went down to Eagle lake and edged nervously out onto our walleye grounds, squeaky bum time is what I call it.

There was more than enough ice, and with the lack of snow it was hard, black ice. Thickest ice we found was 8", thinnest was 4", note to self….tread with caution, its not uniform thickness, ice picks on.

Within minutes of setting up on the edge of the drop from a 14' deep bay, Amanda got two and missed them both. Tyler then went over and set the hook on the same rod on the third bite and pulled up a nice 21"er. Sucked for him because there is an 18"-23" slot on Eagle Lake.

It was pretty slow and we ended up with only 4 fish on the ice, 2 nice 17"ers, and a couple of slot fish at 20" and 21". Was warm out though and at -2C with no wind and no snow on the ice it felt like we were fishing in March!

Another highlight for me was having Roloff out on the ice, he behaves exactly the same way as when we are shore fishing, waiting attentively at the hole for the fish to come up, and standing guard of each one as it lay on the ice.

Hopefully getting out on Wednesday or Thursday. No snow and sub -20C temps next week should see much better ice this year and early access to the ice road.

Here's some pics and video of our little outing.

IMG_8995.jpg

IMG_8994.jpg

IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_8997.jpg

IMG_8999.jpg

Edited by limeyangler

wicked man! I can hardly wait!!!

probably be another week or so for me

boy roloff is a beauty! That dog is living a nice life:)

Crappie this year? Where exactly are you these days…closer, further or about the same?

Living the life Limey!

Makes the -40C and 12 foot snow banks worth it Drew….lol.