Crossing the border questions Black friday

bow slayer

How lucky am I,my daughters hockey team is playing next weekend in a tournament in Cleveland. Yes black friday,so I am thinking what would the best time be to cross the border? We will be leaving thursday evening around 7pm. I should hit Windsor around 9ish. I am thinking it will be a madhouse at the border as shoppers are heading south for the deals. I DO NOT want to wait 2 hours to cross. So would be better to wait then and cross or get a room in Windsor for the night and cross over around 8am friday morning? I am thinking most would be heading over thursday as all lot of the sales start at 12 midnight or even eariler. We need to be in Cleveland no later than 11 am friday.

Also Rock and Roll hall of Fame,anybody been? Just wondering how much time is needed to take a tour? Hoping to fit time in with her schedule. Thanks

been to the RARHOF

its good, give yourself at least a few hours, its pretty extensive and very cool. As far as hitting the border, go as early as possible, my GF decided it was a smart idea to see the habs play that night in buffalo so now I have to get across the border in the madness as well.

If you have time for some shopping stop in at Erie Pennsylvania - Millcreek mall

Just 5 minutes off the I90 on I79North

Within 1 city block there is the Field and Stream store, and a Gander Mountain next store to a Dicks Sporting goods

If you have time for some shopping stop in at Erie Pennsylvania - Millcreek mall

Just 5 minutes off the I90 on I79North

Within 1 city block there is the Field and Stream store, and a Gander Mountain next store to a Dicks Sporting goods

yes have been there,last 2 years we did a tournament in Erie this year we decided to go to Cleveland. Hopefully I will find a similar place in Cleveland.

Given that Black Friday is the craziest shopping spree in the US, I'd be leaving as soon as possible. Hotels around the malls will be booked already.

As for the Border people, I cross two to three times a week. I never have a problem.

Answer the questions they ask you truthfully. If the question can be answered in one word, then do that. Don't offer any other info unless asked.

All will go well.

I was contemplating of going across on cyber monday, I bought few car parts days earlier at ebay, ship to a mail box across lewiston bridge. Then the disastrous snow effect in Buffalo, My wife and I have decided to wait till black friday sale is over to go and pick up my car parts and do shopping, regardless of how left over stock was there, no big deal. Sale has been going on throughout weeks ago.

I saw videos of shopping mall on Black friday. I would not want to get involved in that type of commotion on shopping. Some guys we knew will be sleeping over, embrace the cold, outside of walmart store, on thursday night, line up in front of the entrance, pitch tent just for some computer stuff that being sold below cost. Never visualize myself that desperate for computer related technology. Maybe half price for a 16 foot boat and 150Hp engine? ................HMMMMM!

Some borders, including Lewiston Bridge at Niagara, is a training ground for rookie custom officer, they are more strict and would force people to pay taxes, if going for few hours, and buying $200 worth of goods. Other wise, my wife and i have been buying and declaring average $250 for 8-12 hours across the border without having to incur any taxes. Use peace bridge as much as possible, less busier at the border coming back . Never mention you shop at Galleria, they know you paid quite a bit. Since Items there are not cheap.

We are always across the border by 7:30am, change of the guards at 8am, and always slower. Since Walmart is open 24 hours, we just hang out at the store , have breakfast at Mcdo or somewhere, just to kill time, till all the shop were open.

We are not a big shopper , except for Auto parts, tires, household needs, from liquidation place such as Ollies or Big lots etc.. I have been across the border few weeks ago, was not impress with the Cabelas store, smaller. I would just shop on line, if I need anything. No urgency, there are other website way better price than BPS or Cabelas, for basic fishing lures, that I need.

I bought some stuff from Amazon for the first time valued over $35. Free shipping , since they split up 4 items into 3 shipment, I have to pay extra per package to use the US address shipping depot across, I was not thrilled, one item was wrong parts received, I will think twice in buying stuff from Amazon., unless it is one item, valued over $35 is free shipping. Walmart or Costco, on line pricing are sometimes good, so I order them to the mailbox address across. Free shipping anyway. I also cancelled my order from walmart after checking the item was not good, decided to not receive it after all, this was a store pick up.

With the exchange rate of 13 % + NY tax of 8.5% + potential 13% HSt to pay, Plus toll charges, plus gas, unless one shop around diligently, not that good of a deal at the end. I would compare shop, before making decision to just go across to buy anything. For Car parts, always cheaper to buy in USA. Advance Auto parts has TNT30 code, 30% off parts, but some still more expensive than Ebay even after 30% off, since we still have to pay NY 8.5% tax. The advantage is we can return parts unused when we go back next time. I would also fish at NIagara river, and when my buddy and I go across to pick up inexpensive stuff I bought on line, than it can be worth the while, otherwise, not that big of a savings these days. But to make wife happy to go across at times............Priceless!

Erie PA does not charge taxes on clothing. gas cheaper too. A short stretch within that state has good deal gas, within the freeway to ohio. once you have pass few gas station, state will change to Ohio, price go back up again.

Edited by bassfighter

With the exchange rate of 13 % + NY tax of 8.5% + potential 13% HSt to pay, Plus toll charges, plus gas, unless one shop around diligently, not that good of a deal at the end.

On a lot of things I would agree, however I just shipped a few large ticket items for our kids to NY and will be picking up next week. Even with exchange and if I have to pay duty I will still be ahead almost a couple hun. And I get to go fishing too! There is no way I would do the Black Friday thing though. Insane!!!