Outdoor storage shed options, sorta NF

adam lancia

After asking what everyone does with their reel boxes and packaging, it became apparent to me that I need some storage space. And rather than pay a storage facility, I think I'm going to pick up a storage shed for the backyard and hopefully have it fairly weather proof. Is there an economical way to insulate it without getting too involved? An 8' x 8' space would do it, maybe have the roof peak at 7'. Am I better off going the resin route or metal? Since I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible, I'm guessing wood is going to be out of the question, especially the prefabbed ones...? The reason I would like to insulate it is because I would also use it as a tiny work shop over the winter, probably running an extension cord or two to power a small space heater and a light. Does anyone have any input on what route to go? Ideally, I want keep it under $800. That will still be less expensive than storage for the next 10 months with a little left over. I'm not worried about taking it with us should we move, my parents life nearby and would welcome a shed.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice!

I spoke with a fellow at Costco, he had bought one. As long as you have a really hard base to set it on that won't shift from frost or rain, etc, forgetaboutit. Nothing will line up, doors won't close, etc. I would go the wood route myself, however second choice would be metal. That said, the neighbour 2 doors over has one and didn't pay attention, told him to put a "T" bar under the peak because there's not enough pitch to let the snow slide off. It didn't make it through the first winter. Crunch. For insulation something simple like sytrofoam pink or even the silverboard will keep the heat in when you're working in there.

I have a alluminun 10x10 on very solid cement pad. Almost 6' at peak (Ct gift). I've had it for 9 years.

It had some leaks which I fixed, door sliders are a pain to find and replace, done two. NO more sliders for me.

heavy snow does the damage. If I had to replace I'd go vinyl for sure and then custom the inside, insulation shelving . I roughed in a pipe to run electic connection on the one I have now but not needed yet, no extension cord for me.

My brother has one that he can extend and has done so. I don't know who makes it:( but he can buy panels,roof and sides and reattach the doors.

I'm not a big fan of the metal sheds either. The resin sheds are very nice looking. My neighbor has a nice resin shed 8'x16', rather expensive at $2,000.00. My wood shed is 8'x12' with only a stone floor. I only use it for storing garden tools, lawnmower, chairs etc. If you're going to be using it as a small work shop - 1 word of caution - mice could invade, build their winter nests & damage some expensive items such lawn chair cushions. Mine has been in the back yard for over 30 years. 5 years ago I repainted it & reshingled it. Still looks very good.

Edited by wormdunker

I'm not a big fan of the metal sheds either. The resin sheds are very nice looking. My neighbor has a nice resin shed 8'x16', rather expensive at $2,000.00. My wood shed is 8'x12' with only a stone floor. I only use it for storing garden tools, lawnmower, chairs etc. If you're going to be using it as a small work shop - 1 word of caution - mice could invade, build their winter nests & damage some expensive items such lawn chair cushions. Mine has been in the back yard for over 30 years. 5 years ago I repainted it & reshingled it. Still looks very good.

I didn't even give mice and the like a thought, that just might kill this plan dead in the water... Guess it's time to ask the landlord what they think about an addition on the house LOL!

I poured concrete and built an 8 by 12 wooden one with a peak inside height of 9 ft.. total cost of less then a grand even with electrical lines I installed. And unlike the prefab wood sheds the roof will never sag..