What's the cost of having a garage/ shop built? NF

chris.brock

I'm guessing some of you guys out in the sticks have built or at least priced garages.

I'm thinking just a basic shelter to keep the weather and critters out. Maybe 20x40.

I don't have a clue what something like this costs.

Last weekend the tarp set-up I had over my pontoon boat collapsed. I also opened the cowl on my snowmobile, and a mouse was sitting beside the moth balls, looking up at me. He had used the bounce dryer sheets I had put in there to build his nest in the belly pan. Hahaha

Edited by chris.brock

Any outbuilding over 538 sq ft requires either a full foundation or an engineered floating slab in addition to a building permit for anything over 100 sq ft. Costs for an engineered slab alone would likely be $8000 or so for an 800 square foot shop and full footings would be a little more again. A pre-fab metal building would likely be cheapest but depending on what you want at the end it may not be the easiest thing to insulate & finish. A wooden structure insulated, with some heat and power is likely going to cost you $40k unless you do all the work yourself.

I just put nice fibre cement siding on my shop that size and the material alone was almost $5000....it ain't cheap especially with permits and all involved.

Edited by G.mech

I put up an 18 x 24 garage with loft for $21000 about 3 years ago. I had someone do the eng slab, $5000, and someone put on the shingles, the rest was me. Cost includes electrical permit ( I got this), health permit (I got this), drawings of the eng pad and structure (I drew them and got permit), underground electrical service from house to garage 100 amp panel, all the wire, not heated nor insulated. I think insulation alone is going to run me $1000, and still no heat.

If someone building it for me I'd expect $50 000, around here.

Entropy

A pre-fab metal building would likely be cheapest but depending on what you want at the end it may not be the easiest thing to insulate & finish.

They actually aren't hard to insulate.

Most have spray foam shot on the walls and ceiling with a hard fireproof coating blown on over top of the spray foam.

Pretty sure there are also insulating kits that are just attached via the bolts that hold the structure together.

thanks guys

when MPAC was mentioned by Chad, my blood pressure suddenly jumped up a bit, well, quite a bit, but that's another thread topic

ugh, I hear you. I have my own issues with them. Maybe one of those fancy C-Tire shelters is the way the go. Even if you buy one every 5 years it's probably cheaper than building a permanent building. Now keep in mind that if you sell your house, a higher appraisal value would be in your favour.

For what it's worth in Hamilton my house taxes are $3500 on the year, and my neighbor across the street has the identical house less the detached garage and our taxes are a shade under $400 more, mind you I have a bunch more concrete than they do my garage is 14'x25'

ugh, I hear you. I have my own issues with them. Maybe one of those fancy C-Tire shelters is the way the go. Even if you buy one every 5 years it's probably cheaper than building a permanent building. Now keep in mind that if you sell your house, a higher appraisal value would be in your favour.

HAHA, I've been getting 5 years out of mine and after 5 years $160 buys me a new cover for it.

I've actually og 3 of the 10X20's and a 10X10. B)

here on the rez no permits are required. but id never build a full garage here because you never actually own it.

a friend just built one here with local help and roughly the size you like for about $24,000.

the only thing id ever build on rez land is a cabin

at least in treaty 3, you can own the structure(house/garage) but you never own the land. thats too sketchy for me, even though it dramatically reduces the cost

They actually aren't hard to insulate.

Most have spray foam shot on the walls and ceiling with a hard fireproof coating blown on over top of the spray foam.

Pretty sure there are also insulating kits that are just attached via the bolts that hold the structure together.

Thats true but if you ever want to finish the inside it's kind of a pain to do much over the spray on. Depends on what you want out of your shop...mine is a man-cave and nicer than my house in a lot of ways (like it's much quieter and peaceful out there...)

Your best to go to your towns building department tell them what u want to do

Find oit what your allowed to do and get it in writing.

After all that home hardware has several diy garage kits aroind size your looling for material cost 7-8k plus foundation electrical and permits

If you do build, don't put a regular roof truss on, but rather a vertically stretched out attic truss, that will give your lots of head room and another 'storage' room on what essentially becomes a second floor. I had my trusses designed for free at Scugog Lumber, bought them there, was a great way to do it. You just stand the on top of the walls, and they become the walls, roof, and floor for the loft.

Entropy