Looking for Recommendation for Toyota Highlander Service

FLEX ROD

High folks, so last year I bought a 2010 Toyota Highlander I love the truck but the passenger side started to blow only cold air. So I took it to my mechanic and he really honestly told me to take it to Toyota, so I did and the news that they gave me is that I am looking at a $2,025 + Tax to RE and Re Dash and Replace Heater Box and Servo.

Ouch, does this sound right price wise?

Any suggestions for where to take for a more reasonable price, was thinking of looking at Buffalo but not checked out prices as of yet, waiting to hear some feed back.

Thank you in advance, FLEX - John

I paid about $1,500 to replace the heater core on a GMC Jimmy. They had to remove the dash to replace the heater core. It took them a couple of days to complete.

I know it is a different vehicle; but it sounds like a similar job for your Toyota. They price may not be out of line for the work involved. I just wish the designers would take this into consideration before creating a vehicle that requires that entire dash board to be removed in order to replace parts.

check around on the highlander forums for alternative ways of fixing this problem. it's likely just the blend doors/servo and the heater core is fine since the other side is blowing hot.

i had a similar issue with my old grand cherokee that had auto climate control. the blend doors/servo went bad on it. the proper way to fix was to take apart the dash something like 10 hours labour, however i discovered that you could cut a small access panel behind the glove box and access everything. cost to repair was a cutting wheel for my dremel and the parts.. something like $40 total. then glue the access panel back into place.. about 1 hr of my time. i could deal with a panel i cut behind my glove box, which i could never ever see, for those kind of savings and the wife could deal with heat on her side again.

Edited by Raf

I did a few of these back when I was a apprentice mechanic at a used car dealership ( never a highlander) . I could usually take the passenger seat out lay on my back and sort it out. Was always a p.i.t.a. And ended up with cuts all over my arms. Depends how mechanically inclined you are. And how much you want to save the $$$$.

Edited by Freshtrax

Thanks for the feed back folks.

Dave, in my youth I did a lot / most work on my cars but this is not some thing that I want to play with considering it is dual zone and also separate control for the rear.

I did check and no major savings in getting it done State side as the main part alone is $1100 US, so the price I got here is very much in line, oh well I tried, so now I have to decide if I will get it fixed or not, though not sure I have a choice :dunno:.

FLEX - John

I once put a car on the lift and dropped the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump....when I dropped it it was remarkably light....and empty...

An old expression from my fire fighter days...

Try the door knob before you grab an axe

Edited by lew

An old expression from my fire fighter days...

Try the door knob before you grab an axe

LOL good one... I worked at a bakery that had a fire. The fire department did more physical damage to the structure than the fire because, instead of walking through open 6ft wide entrance way to the fire source. They hacked their way through 20K worth of shelving and missed the fire by 4 ft on their first attempt because they wound up inside a 20K walk in freezer. So they got out and hacked through another section of shelving.... When asked in the light of day what happened the official line was it was dark and smokey, we couldn't see the door.

I get that and I agree it probably was, but on the other hand 4 of the guys who did the damage were REGULAR customers. Who went through that door at least once a week for many many years, to pick up orders for the fire station when it was their turn to cook. Thankfully none of them was hurt and they saved the building though so it was all good in the end.