It took three years and 9 days, but I finally conquered ,,,,,,

misfish

Three years and 9 days ,( give or take a month or 2) :dunno: . I did away with the spinning reel on the long rod,and replaced it with a float reel. As I started to type this,I started laughing at myself. (why I dont laugh at those that are first timers, I know they will go through their own trials and tribulations) I thought it would be so easy. Just head out and start fishing. Pull on the line,whipping the rod bobs your uncle. NOT

My first outing was late fall,well more like December,-15. Reels full of braid. Not sure where I read to use braid,but hey.I was stoked about getting out with my first set up,I didnt care. I was warned,but who are you to tell me. Ok,lesson was learned fast. 15 minutes in and Im all iced up. Braid was full of ice and I was frozen and pissed off. Nice start to pinning eh :wallbash::canadian:

After a few outings,in more favorable weather and watching a fella for an hour and having Bill M make a trip down with me,I got the hang of the side cast. :worthy: I was very happy I was able to float my way to catch some fish. Still remember my first.

I got line twists alot though and had discussions on how to prevent this. The Wallis cast was mentioned. So I did some youtube searching.The swivel suggestion came up as well and I went with that.( wallis cast looked a bit confusing to me) I found this triple barrel swivel,it worked, for awhile. I was getting no line twist , but after a few outings,it was back.

I tried on many occasions to give the wallis cast a try. I just couldnt get it. Maybe I was in a rush to get the hang of it. I knew it was all about timing.

I had the past 9 days to fish. I said to myself,you are going to get this.

I tried and tried,but I just couldnt get it.

Day 3 I was getting there. Well sorta. Day 4 better,but not there yet.Day 5 and 6,pretty much there but just not natural yet.

Then came the 7th day. Lucky 7 :dunno: . I slowed myself down and just let it happen. Light pull,hand to the side and the line flowed. Reel in and do it again. Same result. Timing and not thinking about it was the key. I caught myself doing a side cast the odd time. I would quickly reel up the line and re cast.Need to get that out of my head.

The Wallis cast.

Yes I conquered it.

This may not seem like a historic completion to some,but it,s a hell of a great feeling to this old dog that learned a new trick.Finally. :clapping::canadian:

I dont give lessons. :excl::Gonefishing:

Edited by Brian B

Have tried it before but never worked for me.

Wonder if a ball-bearing swivel is required to get the job done or not

I use the same XXXS Raven swivels I do from shot > leader. No issues here. Braid also cuts down on the line twist as well, although you always get a bit (But nothing like running mono)

I use the same XXXS Raven swivels I do from shot > leader. No issues here. Braid also cuts down on the line twist as well, although you always get a bit (But nothing like running mono)

Not a question about the swivel but the knots, no matter how good you are at tying you'll mess one up eventually, your rig then has five knots, seems a lot simpler to wallis if you ask me. Congrats Brian!

Not a question about the swivel but the knots, no matter how good you are at tying you'll mess one up eventually, your rig then has five knots, seems a lot simpler to wallis if you ask me. Congrats Brian!

You'll mess one up eventually if you're only tying 3... It makes no difference.

You'll mess one up eventually if you're only tying 3... It makes no difference.

3....?

Nah! Two knots, one at the hook and one at the leader to main line.

I subscribe to the KISS theory and it's worked for 40 years .

Oh and congrats Brian, another technique in your arsenal.

3....?

Nah! Two knots, one at the hook and one at the leader to main line.

I subscribe to the KISS theory and it's worked for 40 years .

Oh and congrats Brian, another technique in your arsenal.

You got it! No swivel for me, main to leader with a blood knot then to the hook, no need for anything more!

I noticed, I will never learn it

or the other pin cast

you made it look easy

of course I would never turn the camera on when you catch a tree

but some would

just saying lol

Now where did I put that video,,,, :whistling:

Hey you sir, are a trooper at 60 yoa. :clapping::P

Edited by Brian B

Congrats Brian. Another tool to add to the arsenal. In terms of line twist, keep in mind that line twist can also be introduced to the line when retrieving fixed floats against the current (especially on long hero drifts)

As for swivels, I use them. For years I used to use blood knots or triple surgeons knots for my leader to mainline connection. I got tired of having to slide up my floats and shots every time I snagged up so I could get enough tag end to make the knots (potentially fraying the line by doing so by sliding up the shots). I also found results similar to this (scroll down to the knot shootout):

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/tippet-shootout-seaguar-grandmax-trouthunter-orvis-mirage-riopowerflex-pline-dairiki-varivas-sa-climax-maxima-froghair-stoft-umpqua

I've done away with micro swivels and instead use larger ball bearing swivels for my leader to mainline connection. The bigger swivels have larger rings to tie knots to which makes tying knots in the dark (and cold) much easier. They are also less prone to breaking in half like the micro swivels are (especially the tiny Raven ones which suck IMO).

You got it! No swivel for me, main to leader with a blood knot then to the hook, no need for anything more!

Sure there is, if you hate line twist. If you enjoy it, then definitely don't run a swivel above your float and also run mono and make wicked long hero drifts :)

If there was any correlation between break offs and the amount of knots you've got in your rig, you might have a point but you don't. Tie your knots properly, check them often and it doesn't matter.

I think one of the best ways to combat line twist is to run slip floats. Like Mike mentioned above, the float does twist up the line a lot more then people realize.

Edited by BillM