Braid suggestions.

limeyangler

everyone has their favourite braid, but they're all pretty much the same when it comes to abrasion resistance -- not as good as mono. braid's strength lies with pull strength for a given diameter and lack of stretch.

i know you said you'll be using wire and that's just fine.. just a fyi, the whole fluoro leader trend that moved over to freshwater muskie fishing all started with saltwater guys using them on their fish toothy fish.

Edited by Raf

First of all, the same two fibers are used to make all top quality braids.

These are covered by different patents, but are so close to being the same they are called "sisters."

Therefore there can't be much difference in abrasion resistance between brands.

Second, your reel is only rated for ten pound test mono...In theory, you could use up to 40 braid but as you go up in strength, you will lose casting distance.

Faced with your challenges, I think I would use 20 or 30 pound test Power Pro Zero Impact.

This line has black "Termination Zones" every few yards, where the line is 50% stronger. By tying knots in these areas, you can retain 100% of the rated line strength.

I have used most of the braids on the market, and haven't found a difference in abrasion resistance. I have had more spinning-reel problems with suffix than with PPro, but that could be user-error (most line issues are). I don't know the exact conditions you will be fishing, but a 10-20' length of flouro in front of the wire should solve any abrasion problems, and not affect castability.

Thanks for the input guys.

Think i'm gonna have a look at each of the brands mentioned and their availability to me here in the dead zone and spool up four different and increasing strengths from 40lb-80lb strength of braid. I have not ruled out upgrading my gear and going heavier. Anyway, if its like the last years trip I will only get out a couple of times. I wanna stand half a chance of reeling something in this time. I have the headstrap for my Gopro so should get more fishing footage this time round.

Thanks for the input again…...

Did I mention I will be using wire? :rofl2:

That's odd Cliff, I've been using nothing but PP for about 12 years now, have landed lots of big toothy fish with it and have NEVER had an issue of any kind.

Be interesting to find out why you have the problems you do.

Perhaps the type of fishing Lew; there are a lot of zebra mussles in Sturgeon and I am constantly dragging a jig through the weeds and over logs. if I get a nick in the mono I can feel it just by running my fingers over it but I couldn't with the braid. I did like the line for it's casting ability and solid hook sets but I just found I was loosing too many fish that wern't snapping the line, it would suddenly just let go like it was a piece of thread.

I'm going to assume you're surf or pier fishing?

I'd go with 40 lb PP and a long top shot of 30 or 40 lb mono/fluoro (leader material, not casting line), finish with your wire leader...you want a good topshot to handle the shock of the big hits and runs

look into knot 2 kinky wire, learn how to tie proper knots and it's good stuff

the guys that were landing fish around you, what were they using?

I'm going to assume you're surf or pier fishing?

I'd go with 40 lb PP and a long top shot of 30 or 40 lb mono/fluoro (leader material, not casting line), finish with your wire leader...you want a good topshot to handle the shock of the big hits and runs

look into knot 2 kinky wire, learn how to tie proper knots and it's good stuff

the guys that were landing fish around you, what were they using?

Thanks Bare foot,

Its neither surf nor pier. Its a cove with a small entrance facing directly into the oncoming easterly that is a constant in Antigua. The cove is surrounded by 100 foot high cliffs all around. You have to trek through a thorn jungle, then lower yourself into a thorny ravine and that brings you to a small 'beach' of giant bolders. You are basically standing on a coral/rock platform at the base of a cliff.

You are not surrounded by anyone. The guy that caught the shark was only the second person I have ever seen there. He was a local guy who camped out over night. He only knew about the spot because he used to work at the now ruined hotel on the nearby beach which was destroyed by a Hurricane Luis in 1995). The first guy I met there was a guy called Nick who was guiding a client and fly fishing for Tarpon, that was back in 2003. The guy Nick has a youtube channel...... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC16nOK_Jnq-R-yIoI3WnLhw , I have sent an email and am trying to book a half day of mangrove Tarpon fishing with him.

The guy that camped out had hooked into the baby Thresher Shark at night. I kid you not, he was using an old rusty reel with what looked like about 400lb test...yup...400lb....lol. He had an assortment of nuts and bolts as a sinker and was using sprats from the market as bait. That was the only thing he caught.

Will try the flouro leader then the wire.

Man...January cant come quick enough!

No one on the thread has mentioned it but Sunline makes some really great braid. This is the first year I have tried it and I really like it. The packaging is far and away the best of all lines I've ever bought...makes spooling a breeze.

That being said, I've tried nearly every braid on the market and here's my order of quality

1) Sunline

2) Suffix

3) Spiderwire

4) PP

PP is awful for casting in my opinion and I have used it a lot.

All the abrasion resistance talk is a bit off base. For the same # test braid will not stand up to mono in terms of being cut off due to abrasion but think about that...you are comparing a fibres that have such a huge difference in diameter its like comparing the abrasion resistance of a 2 gauge wire to a 10 gauge. It's just not a real comparison. Mono and flouro are thick and bulky and so stand up to being beaten up better because there is much more material to be removed before failure. You absolutely cannot expect the same performance in that category and if you do you're just not thinking. If you're fishing where you're going to be broken off because of abrasion use the right tool for the job. Don't use the wrong one then complain that the tool is not good.

No one on the thread has mentioned it but Sunline makes some really great braid. This is the first year I have tried it and I really like it. The packaging is far and away the best of all lines I've ever bought...makes spooling a breeze.

That being said, I've tried nearly every braid on the market and here's my order of quality

1) Sunline

2) Suffix

3) Spiderwire

4) PP

PP is awful for casting in my opinion and I have used it a lot.

All the abrasion resistance talk is a bit off base. For the same # test braid will not stand up to mono in terms of being cut off due to abrasion but think about that...you are comparing a fibres that have such a huge difference in diameter its like comparing the abrasion resistance of a 2 gauge wire to a 10 gauge. It's just not a real comparison. Mono and flouro are thick and bulky and so stand up to being beaten up better because there is much more material to be removed before failure. You absolutely cannot expect the same performance in that category and if you do you're just not thinking. If you're fishing where you're going to be broken off because of abrasion use the right tool for the job. Don't use the wrong one then complain that the tool is not good.

Well like I have said before in this thread, I never have believed braid and mono are the same in terms of abrasion, and I never once suggested that I was comparing the two, this thread has always been about comparing apples to apples, or at least the qualities they share or do not share, just a simple question of what…if any…braid is more resistant to abrasion than others. As for your suggestion or comment about "just not thinking" I think all the time….and yes I make some mistakes, but thats how we evolve as fishermen and women and a species as a whole. I am not a newbie to fishing and I don't expect the same performance from braid as mono but have stated my purposes for going this route AD INFINITUM!!!

As for complaining about my tools….I aint complaining, I'm trying new things with help from others. Whats to complain about?…..I got snapped off a couple of times by a huge Trevalli Jack and some monster Barracuda while fishing a pelican infested cove, full of baitfish swirling in panic on a tropical island paradise? Sucks not to have landed them, but the anticipation of and privilege of getting another crack at it is awesome!

I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Simon.