went back to the path with camera this time

Joey

After work today, I took the camera and went back to the path to see if there were still salmon spawning. Here are the results, and yes, I got soaked again, up to my waist this time. Ah isn't photography fun :)

The path:

15360052347_7dbd22f414_b.jpgIMG_2024 - Copy by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

The size of the river:

15359927138_c2446e4067_b.jpgIMG_1937 - Copy (2) by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

The Salmon:

14925888673_d0939a73ea_b.jpgIMG_1903 - Copy (2) by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

14925881853_4b64a15219_b.jpgIMG_2371 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

This guy was trying to go through a tube (man made trough) and never made it)

15360455760_0f44bcdbdb_b.jpgIMG_2133 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

15359475569_3b3680ee0e_b.jpgIMG_2134 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

15360083197_e96146a4ab_b.jpgIMG_2142 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

15543415971_739519e980_b.jpgIMG_2148 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Thanks guys. It was cool to see so many of them. I counted at least 10 or more.. Surprising for how far up the Don they came, but nice to see. And they don't look stocked as they have the dorsal fin. I'll keep going back after work to see how long they last. Cool to see for sure.

I don't think they clip the dorsal, unless you mean the adipose fin

great shots, I would have lifted that guy over the trough :)

Sorry, yes, I did mean the adipose fin. And I would have lifted him over the trough, but after that attempt, he landed in the stronger current and went zooming down far away from me in a spot you can't possibly enter or get near due to dense brush. Plus I was soaked at that point and it was getting dark so I headed home for some dinner and dry clothes and shoes :)

Sorry, yes, I did mean the adipose fin. And I would have lifted him over the trough, but after that attempt, he landed in the stronger current and went zooming down far away from me in a spot you can't possibly enter or get near due to dense brush. Plus I was soaked at that point and it was getting dark so I headed home for some dinner and dry clothes and shoes :)

The 'mass marking program' in which all Chinooks stocked into Lake Ontario had a fin clip has ended. I think that 2011 was the final year in which Chinooks were clipped. We may see some unclipped hatchery fish running the rivers again.

I found that males seem to run the run the rivers at a younger age than females. So this year, I would expect to see unclipped hatchery males with clipped hatchery females. I think this will be the last year that we see any significant number of clipped Chinooks in Lake Ontario.

Thanks guys. It was cool to see so many of them. I counted at least 10 or more.. Surprising for how far up the Don they came, but nice to see. And they don't look stocked as they have the dorsal fin. I'll keep going back after work to see how long they last. Cool to see for sure.

I work on the Don River everyday, the salmon are everywhere right now.. I know what you mean about seeing them in the real small creeks - makes you wonder where they could possibly be headed?!

Somewhere between 16th Avenue and Weldrick there used to be a little wooden bridge across the creek and when my grandsons were little we would fish for minnows there...some were good size...I think the bigger ones were fallfish...

Joey, we have a river (east humber) out our way that goes into the Kortright Centre for Consevation and above. There is a small bridge in Pine Grove they are in thick! Nobody bothers them and they go on their merry way.

A few years back they spotted 20+ rainbow going up stream from there. I believe all of the barriers have been removed.

Thanks for posting this Joey! I had read and heard of salmon reaching that branch of your river for a while, but this is the first time I see actual pics. That river has a long way to go on the road to recovery, but this is a great start.

Still, when I drive by some of the lower reaches along the DVP, I always find myself wishing it were in better shape. There are some awesome stretches of water down there that would be so much fun to fish!

p.-