My first deep fried turkey

misfish

Well, it,s been a wait ,but I have done the deep fry thang. My first to boot.

I have to admit,watching all those videos of busting out flames and people getting burnt from them, had me second and third guessing about this.

Well, I can tell you this. Follow the rules and all is good. I never left the scene of the action. It was pretty cool to watch,and the smell made me wishing it was done sooner.LOL

Set up the burner and side table yesterday. Fired up the burner and tried the 15 minute shut off, TWICE. Worked each time.

So today was the day to do the fry. Keeping the fryer at 325 was pretty easy. The control knob was awesome to control the flame. It got to the point I could hear the flame and adjust as I watched the thermometer.

We had a 10 pound bird. They say 3.5 minutes per pound. I went 4. It,s poultry after all. Dont need to get sick. I just did a rub on the bird. No injection.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Here ya go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HAPPY THANKS GIVING MY FRIENDS.

Side note. I didnt put the empty box by the fryer til the end.

That looks great Brian. I just ate turkey and bet I could find room for a wing from that beauty. I've never tried any but am thinking about getting one. Did you save the oil for next time? Maybe too much fat to save unless refrigerated it I'm thinking.

That thing would make fast work of fish, no? When we have 20 pounds or more of Walleye and Perch for our August family fry it would save me much time. Anyone done fish with one? I can't see why not.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

bet I could find room for a wing

The wings were the best. It was like turkey jerky.

It comes with a fish fry pot as well. Oh,I,ll be frying up some batch,s this fall/winter season. I,ll also still be using Fish Crisp.

It looks perfect!!!

Thanks.

Im a big fan now of "CRISPY TURKEY SKIN". It,s better then pork scrunchens. LOL

That looks great Brian. I just ate turkey and bet I could find room for a wing from that beauty. I've never tried any but am thinking about getting one. Did you save the oil for next time? Maybe too much fat to save unless refrigerated it I'm thinking.

That thing would make fast work of fish, no? When we have 20 pounds or more of Walleye and Perch for our August family fry it would save me much time. Anyone done fish with one? I can't see why not.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

A buddy did 45lbs of halibut in his set up one year... I got him the halibut from one of our restaurant suppliers.

He did it because at their trailer park 10 couples would each host a meal for the others. He decided to do halibut, for the meal to convince the Mrs. it was a good idea.. and he had a couple of friends help him, they would batter the fish and he fried it. He did about 25 lbs of it for the meal and the rest he just par fried and froze, then finished by refrying in a home fryer over the winter. He also did about 4 large spanish onions in rings using the recipe I put in the other thread, along with a what he called a WHACK of chips LOL.

I have to say he got it perfect, as I was lucky enough to have some of the fish that he froze, beat just about any fish shop I ever ate at.

Canuck, Halibut, fergid aboud it. Yea why not, it's just an outdoor deep fryer. Par fried fish? Again why not. I've never done it, actually never heard of it, I'm thinking among other things why not just fry it once?

Sorry Brian I don't meant to hijack your awesomely fried turkey thread here but it is all frying in large quantities

LOL the reason to partially cook it and then refry is simple to have it prepped all at once.

You buy a whole frozen halibut, (that one was 50+lbs) you thaw it, and portion it. Then you batter it and fry it until it is almost cooked. You layer it on cookie sheets separated, freeze the portions. Then you take them and place them in meal sized zip locks.

You are at work on Wednesday and it is your turn to cook, you get home pull out a bag of fish, fire up the fryer, make a little coleslaw, some stovetop dressing, wedge up a couple spuds.... You are eating in 40 minutes tops, instead of having rethaw previously frozen fish, batter it up and cook it.

Trust me if you have a good batter recipe and know how much to cook it the first time, you would be hard pressed to tell it was done this way.... The second frying crisps it up just like fresh if you have the oil at the right temp.

BTW this the same reason I always fillet, my perch, bread them with homemade fish crisp recipe, freeze them on cookies sheets and them zip lock bag em in portions. I can have a perch dinner with homemade slaw, and chips on the table in 20 minutes after walking the door from work. Also I find by having the perch frozen when I start cooking it I can get my coating super crisp without over cooking the fish, which is hard to achieve if the fish isn't frozen.

I guess it is the lazy mans way of cooking LOL.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Did mine for the first time today,,,12.5 lb. cooked it 4min. Per lb. ,,,turned absolutely perfect

Best turkey I've. Ever had ,,watched all the videoes to be sure of the saftety factor ,,,with a little common sense Was very easy ,,no problem at all

This is the easiest best tasting turkey

And how was it compared to the oven equilivant? Sure you don't get the stuffing... Or the gravy drippings.... But how was the bird itself? Better or on par with the oven toasted? I hope to test mine out next weekend, on something other then turkey.... Ate it yet again today for lunch.... Ugh!

G

Edited by Gerritt

And how was it compared to the oven equilivant? Sure you don't get the stuffing... Or the gravy drippings.... But how was the bird itself? Better or on par with the oven toasted? I hope to test mine out next weekend, on something other then turkey.... Ate it yet again today for lunch.... Ugh!

G

Even though I didnt marinade it G, It was very good. As to compare oven roasted to fried? The mrs,s says,I,ll be deep frying more often. It locks in the juices,yet like I said,I think 3.5 minutes is the right number. 4 was a bit to long. I,ll give a chicken a try and inject it. The wings were like turkey jerky. Narl narl.

So do I want to have 325 deg for all frying? Wings,fish and chips?

Now to try a roast.

Can anyone share how long for them?

Brian , I think 325 degrees is an overall good number for a temperature. When I do my wings I will do about a dozen at a time, I will get my temp up to about 360-375. 360 degrees for thawed wings and 375 for frozen. When those cool wings hit the oil, the oil temp naturally drops and I try to maintain a temperature over 300 degrees at around like 325. Then before my next batch goes in, I crank it back up to that 360-375 degrees and repeat. I would say on average time wise its about 6-8 mins per batch but generally when the wings float they're done. For chips I try to maintain a 375 degree temp, I found that if its too hot they obviously will burn on the outside and too cool will just make the chips oily and mushy. I always peel, split and soak my wedges, it helps get the starches out, my little secret ( and i'm sure its no secret) I will boil my chips a little bit in a pot of water, let them cool and then deep fry, talk about delicious! its just something that sets some chips a part from one another. Some of the best fish and chips places in the UK, use that method for there chips, it gives you a nice crunch on the outside and fluffy deliciousness on the inside and usually only takes 2-3 mins to get the job done. Assuming your talking about a battered fish, I will do mine at 375 degrees, as for time it depends on the size of the fillet, Im usually around 5-8 mins (say a good thick halibut fillet) and 4-6 mins (for a standard walleye/ cod fillet as they are thinner) I just make sure that batter is golden brown. Not sure if this helps, or saying its the best method as I'm sure others will chime in, but I've eaten my fair share of homemade wings, fish, and chips and this method has always worked for me. You looked like a pro doing that turkey, as if you've done it many times before, it looked delicious. Lastly don't cheap out on the oil, ( as I'm sure you don't) if no allergies are around I like a peanut oil its not for everything but it sure does have its place. Experimenting and trying new things is fun, and who knows you may just discover the next big thing in the culinary world. Cheers Matt

Well I went out today to a no frills in belleville, they have a "wholesale" section... Anyways I picked up my 100% peanut oil. It was 49.99 for a five gallon pail.

Should last me quite awhile I imagine and I can pour the oil back into the pail for storing it

Thanks for the inspiration B I will be sure to post some pics.

Now..... What to cook!!! (Other than turkey)

G

Thanks Matt

That was just the info I was looking for. I have mid fried my chips before,then just add them in when doing the fish. Cook the same amount of time then.

G, nice find. I dropped into the Super Store today. They have sunflower and Granola on for under 20 bux. I was in a rush and didnt look for other brands.

Oh, while there,they had halibut fillets. Not for 35 bux for piece that could feed a small child. LOL Bring on the Simcoe perch fillets for me.LOL