October Solo Camping Trip

Tim Mills

I went camping a little east of Bon Echo PP last weekend. I knew the weather wasn't going to be ideal but I was running out of weekends so the dog and I went anyway. There was only 1 other site occupied that weekend.

Our campsite for a couple of nights. The lake is drained for hydro in the fall so summer water levels are down 6-8ft

crotchoct2014017_zpsf1d7f561.jpg

crotchoct2014025_zps1bb8619a.jpg

Sandy Beach and good wind protection for the boat

crotchoct2014021_zps15b86b9d.jpg

The fishing was decent but not as good as last fall. More pike, smaller bass and no walleye.

crotchoct2014020_zpsd1bc0d53.jpg

crotchoct2014035_zps230ec293.jpg

My best pike, jigging a white grub

crotchoct2014031_zpsa562c75b.jpg

crotchoct2014042_zpsbce100a5.jpg

Steady rain Friday night until Saturday noon but we stayed dry.

crotchoct2014016_zpsdd779730.jpg

I was hoping for better fishing but the beer was cold, the food was good, and the camping was free.

crotchoct2014026_zpsfb95f573.jpg

crotchoct2014043_zps4268698a.jpg

The dog roughing it

crotchoct2014055_zps7731da87.jpg

Some Bear tracks in the creek bank behind the campsite.

crotchoct2014027_zps8e337460.jpg

crotchoct2014028_zps81b29334.jpg

Classic picture of your dog relaxing in the boat. My Lab does the same, gets in and goes right to sleep, doesn't even get interested when I bring a fish into the boat.

Some great pictures and looks like a beautiful spot, great solitude.

looks a great time...rain or shine my lab will lean lurched over the gunnels, intently focused on my casting, doesn't matter 4 hours or 12 hours, doesn't take too many breaks...I feel so bad not catching anything and he gives me that "look"...definitely why do you suck so much type of look

Man, I wish my gsp would be so laid back in a boat, she's like a tasmanian devil LOL!

Looks like a great time!

I know what you mean Mike, he is 10 and really calmed down after when he turned 9, he used to be crazy but for some reason has always been good in the canoe and boat. These trips take alot out of him though, its about a 2 day recovery.

The pics of the pup are hilarious. I grew up fishing and camping on that lake. Very pretty spot

Joey- if you know the breed, you know they are eccentric. The dog is under the table for 2 reasons, he wants to stay dry but he is also biting at rain drops as they fall off the table.

It is a nice spot for 4 hours away, but I was told that there will be changes due to the recent land claims. I was told by a cottager that one side of the South Access road and Big Island were going to be lost to the land claim.