The Holy Grail Of Carp Fishing . . . . .

Photoz

Didn't do too well up in the Kawarthas yesterday . . one just under 20 . . . missed several on a barbless hook . . . using a non-baitrunner style-type reel (Stradic 6000) leaving almost NO tension can be tricky getting a good hookset as a carp is screaming out line, an inch of slack, a good head-shake . . . . GONE!! My fishin' pal, Rodpody landed 9 though . . mostly in the 12 - 15 pound range, with one close to 20. This is the 20 pounder givin' Rodpody a tussle . . . .

gallery_77_129_183020.jpg

Finally the 20 pounder patiently lays on the beach, waiting for the hook to be pulled . . and he'll live to fight another day!

med_gallery_77_129_114281.jpg

BUT . . . . . THIS is what made my day today . . . I picked up a good carp rod at half price last summer, and just lately found a 2 year old (never been used) Stradic 6000 to slap on it. I'd tried it several times, but missed every fish I was shooting for . . . . until this morning when I nailed this 18 pound mirror carp. Only the 4th one I've caught . . . nice way to 'christen' new gear! Carp are being very finicky though, a lotta line bumps, and hit & runs . . . then sometimes perfectly quiet for several hours. Water's still a bit cold up there for the spawn, but sure is a great week to take holidays.

med_gallery_77_129_73392.jpg

Great report and pics Photoz!!!

The best way to consistantly hook Carp is to tie on a 3/o circle hook, bait up with your favorite, tighten drag all the way down, cast, prop rod up, go back to the car for something you forgot, return and wonder where in the hell your rod and reel went! :rolleyes:

to be honest photoz, that pic of the carp gives me the creeps for some reason..

Im going to have to agree, I find that a little creepy as well. But I guess the fight and fun outweighs the 'creepiness'

wicked fish steve!! i have yet to land a mirror as well ... christening your combo with your 4th mirror, that setup's gotta be special

did it fight harder than the usual common?

the one greg got is a beauty too

Beansie . .. . I was thinking the exact same thing when I netted that fish .. . . same spot as Greg got his . . . . although I think Greg's might have been a shade bigger. This one DID put up a helluva scrap, took about 15 minutes to get him in to shore, another 5 to corral 'im in the net! The crafty bugger 'played' around for a good 10 minutes, constantly setting my buzzer off while pushing my wire feeder all over bottom, trying to get EVERY morsel out of it. After fighting for nearly 20 minutes I didn't have time to set my tripod up to get me in the shot (if you thought that fish was ugly . . . . ?) so I just snapped a couple quick shots & put him back, so as not to do it any harm. As for 'Photoshopping' out the background, if you haven't been there, it looks like the shore of ANY lake or river . . . . plus, most of the carp outfitters have it PLAINLY marked on the maps they supply for their Brit tourists . . . . but, up there there are DOZENS of similar spots . . . . most produce lotsa carp! I WAS gonna rest up today, but I figure I'll squeeze ONE MORE day up there . .. . gas prices are a killer on going up there EVERY day . . . . but I'll just cut out eating? I've gotta get some shots today of an amazing 'tree duck,' anybody ever heard of a mallard nesting 40' up, in the broken-off hollow stub of a tree? I'll post a shot of this duck in her 'tree fortress' when I get back, it's a lo o o o o n g drop for the l'il ducklings when they hatch!

People photoshope their photos so you don't see where they are carp fishing?

Wow, I didn't realize it was such a secret society.

I run into carp holes wading the Otonoabee and the Trent Canal system almost every time I am out... maybe I can sell this information... haha.

People photoshope their photos so you don't see where they are carp fishing?

Wow, I didn't realize it was such a secret society.

I run into carp holes wading the Otonoabee and the Trent Canal system almost every time I am out... maybe I can sell this information... haha.

There are thousands of carp out there but there is certainly a finite amount of spots on shore where people can fish (be it for carp, steelhead, salmon, bass, pike, etc). There seems to be a current trend of land privatization along with commercial development (again privatization). All it takes is a few bad anglers who leave garbage on the bank for areas to be closed. I was saddened when I found empty cans of corn lying on the bank along with empty hook and egg sinker packages at one of my favourite spots (Not to mention the timmy's cups) - The garbage can was 10ft away. Would you let your child play with razor sharp canned corn lids or hooks carelessly tossed on the grass? Similarly, I've heard of many cases where dogs have ingested discarded fishing hooks, line, sinkers, etc.

The fact is, the WWW is a public space for anyone to gain access to. Most of us have passed the point of believing that everyone who frequents this web-site, along with others, share the same level of appreciation of our natural resources that we have. Not everyone follows the fishing regulations and not everyone treats their catch with respect.

This past weekend, a father with his 2 young daughters I met were disappointed that they couldn't fish 2 local parks because the city closed the park to fishing - Most likely due to the large amounts of garbage left behind. The father had fished them for years. It's always sad when you lose a great fishing spot close to home.

Edited by MJL