tb4me

I got to feel sorry for Edmonton. They should be doing a lot better then they are. Management I think still has time to make a trade and help out these young guys, but they have made it loud and clear there tops guys are off the table. Maybe a trade with Toronto would be nice :whistling:

Or perhaps the young guns can get their arse`s in gear....the big four first round picks have combined for a grand total of...25 goals and are a collective minus...40...here`s hoping McDavid does not end up in that hockey graveyard of first round picks!!!

Ya I think your right. Somethings going on with those kids. With trading one who do you let go. Maybe Yakupov or Eberle. I don't know. I was looking a the first overall picks the last couple of years and its too bad Edmonton did suck a little sooner. Stamkos and Taveras where right before Hall and I'm thinking those two guys are better then any player on Edmonton.

Ya I think your right. Somethings going on with those kids. With trading one who do you let go. Maybe Yakupov or Eberle. I don't know. I was looking a the first overall picks the last couple of years and its too bad Edmonton did suck a little sooner. Stamkos and Taveras where right before Hall and I'm thinking those two guys are better then any player on Edmonton.

Don`t know Yakapov looks like a bust probably wouldn`t get much for him....he needs to be sat down.

It`s tough to get a good solid consistent goal scorer there just isn`t that many of them around anymore even JT on the Island as good as he is has only scored 30 goals once....Edmonton has a problem obviously....if they threw Taylor Hall`s... Nugent Hopkins names out there at the trade deadline I am sure the offers would be interesting.

twitter is fired up about the leafs should trade kessel for Hall...

I personally think you are absolutely insane to ever think thats a good deal.

Kessel on pace for 40 goals, plays 82 games a season

Hall, 27 goal scorer gets hurt every year, is a bit younger and cheaper...second assists dont win hockey games.

Kessel for Hall? Proof Twitter is full of idiots.

got in a big argument with a bunch of guys last night about it...then the most pushy guy starts going on about ES + stats and im like, ding ding here comes the advanced stats brigade.

Common sense wins over statistics every friggin time.

Dont get me wrong stats are a great thing to follow, but I Guarantee crosby doesnt have the best Corsi Fenwick in the league. friggin morons

one thing right now is Toronto is gonna be very tough to beat as long as our depth stays where its at(remain healthy).

im sure you guys have noticed the 3rd and 4th line come out and just smother everyone into the defensive zone and create chances time and time again.

santorelli has become and absolute stud, clarkson has stepped up and guys like Panik as well.

the harder they hit and smother the more they score and they notice that.

and what can I say about JVR? hes the best we have. hes trouble for opposing teams almost everytime hes on the ice, consistently.

What the hell is a corsi fenwick...fancy new fishing rod... :dunno: :dunno:

Its what hipsters in Toronto use to try explain why the leafs have sucked so bad the past 10 years.

Corsi: the most popular advanced stat in the hockey blogosphere, Corsi is a possession metric developed by former Buffalo Sabres goaltending coach Jim Corsi. At its most basic level, Corsi is the plus/minus amount of shots directed at a net while at even strength-blocked shots, shots high and wide, shots that hit, shots that get tipped, etc. A player who has a positive Corsi has more shots directed towards the opponents net while he is on the ice at even strength then shots directed towards his own net under the same criteria. All 10 players on the ice are used when calculating this metric.

For example, if Mark Giordano is +7 in Corsi over the course of the game, that means he & Flames players he was on the ice with at even strength directed 7 more shots towards the opponents net then were directed by the opponents towards the Flames' net.

Most of the time we'll stop there, as any score effect bias generally evens out over the course of a season (unless a team really sucks or is really good, but there's that context thing). Basically, score effect means that a team will play differently depending on how far ahead/behind they are in a game-if a team is 3 goals up, they'll sit back and take more shots against then they would if they were 3 goals down.

So, to combat score effect, we can break down Corsi into 4 categories: Corsi Ahead (Corsi while the subject's team is leading the game), Corsi Even (Corsi while a game is tied), Corsi Close (Corsi while a game is within 1 goal either way relative to a subject) and Corsi Behind (Corsi while the subject's team is losing the game). With these tools, we can eliminate most scoring bias within the stat. All of the breakdowns have their purpose, but when trying to evaluate a player, the most important breakdown is Corsi Even-a team won't be taking risks and won't be sitting back when a game is tied, they'll be playing as "normal" as possible.

Fenwick: Named for Battle of Alberta writer Matt Fenwick, Fenwick is almost the exact same as Corsi, but it doesn't count blocked shots-the reason for this is that it is entirely possible that blocking shots is a skill, and not just a series of random events.

It has some merit, the top ranked corsi teams since they have started keeping stats are rightfully, LA and Chicago...but at the same time on an individual level its a great stat to look at, but I can tell you right now Crosby isnt #1 and concensus in the NHL is that crosby is the best player in the NHL.

I am trying to find his actual rank, but i guarantee its not #1

Hall for Kessel. If I was the GM of Leafs I would be all over that. Halls gonna put 50 in one season, but Kessel in Edmonton wont fix things. They need a star defenseman like a Weber, Doughty, or Keith that can control the game better, but that's a lot easier said then done.

Kessel has 5 straight seasons of 30+ goals or more (not including the shortened season where he got 20), with an all time low of 52 points in a single season in the last 5 (highest being 82) for a kid that's proven nothing?

I have to laugh. A couple of years ago, there wasn't a media member out there who wasn't spouting off about the "Edmonton model" and how they were brilliant to tank and get first round draft picks and build for the future. All's I heard was how much better the young Oilers were than the young Leafs and if you could pick either group of young players, the Oiler were the better choice, blah, blah, blah..

I even remember how the media trashed the Leafs for letting such a great Coach like Eakins go to the Oilers and how they let another great one go.

And now those SAME reporters are the ones saying how disfunctional the Oilers organization is and how badly managed they are from top to bottom.

Gotta love the media.

Good point, but remember Kessels been on a team that's hasn't done as badly as Edmonton. I always wonder if Burke didn't make that trade with Boston where would Toronto be. If Kessel wasn't on Toronto were would they be and what picks could have they gotten?

Who went second overall in 2010? Seguin? Along with Hamilton in the second round? I'd love to see the Leafs today with those two players for sure. But Kessel has done his job as one of the most potent wingers in the NHL. I wouldn't change a thing.

Kessel is very consistent I have to say, but if I could pull the plug on that trade with Boston I would bud. Toronto lost a 2nd overall pick and 9th overall pick. They had Kessel on that team when they lost those picks. Imagine if he wasn't it would of been my guess 1st overall pick and another maybe the same. Kessel put 30 plus goals in the net for Toronto when they lost those picks which I'm helped them get some wins. I just think that trade really screwed them up for the next maybe 10 plus years to have a chance to be a dynamite team like Chicago or LA.

Kessel is very consistent I have to say, but if I could pull the plug on that trade with Boston I would bud. Toronto lost a 2nd overall pick and 9th overall pick. They had Kessel on that team when they lost those picks. Imagine if he wasn't it would of been my guess 1st overall pick and another maybe the same. Kessel put 30 plus goals in the net for Toronto when they lost those picks which I'm helped them get some wins. I just think that trade really screwed them up for the next maybe 10 plus years to have a chance to be a dynamite team like Chicago or LA.

A dynamite team with Seguin and Hamilton instead of Kessel? lol No thanks. Not to even mention the chemistry that Bozak, JVR, Kessel line has had.

Edited by BillM

nope. Kessel was the best option like billm said

seguin would be a mediocre second liner on the current leafs roster

no doubt the kid has skills but he needs a team around him and I dont think for one second he fits the toronto mold.

kessel is short term inconsistant but long term consistant.

thats abit of of an oxymoron but its true

the main thing is he shows up and performs.

anyhow. i take kessel on the leafs over seguin any day

dont forget the Blue and White syndrome.

Kessel is a proven performer in Toronto, an absolute rarity. So much extremely high level talent has come through this city and time and time again they have proven to be a complete dud. There is something to be said for a guy to actually perform at the top of his game while playing in Toronto.

Its a known fact that Seguin has a coke *cough* partying problem. You think Boston actually wanted to get rid of him for peanuts? They had to. Hence they shipped him off to a place where he no longer has any friends, and no one gives a damn about who he is and sure enough his game comes around. You actually think that he wouldnt have the same problems he did in Boston playing in Toronto? Ha!

and if you actually think that Dougie hamilton and Seguin would make this team better than it currently is you are clowning yourself.

Kudos to Kessel to silencing the disbelievers and haters and literally not giving 1 single F going about his business putting up close to 40 a season every season without fail.

I'll also throw in that Taylor Hall likes to "party" as well...my best friend was a bartender through college and taylor hall numerous times guest bartended with my friend...the spotlights are a bit too bright in Toronto.

Edited by AKRISONER

I was saying leafs would of gotten more then Seguin and Hamilton if that trade didn't go through. I would take those two over Kessel any day just to say. I'm not saying I don't like Kessel. I just think he plays too many video games and spends too much hooking up with those high priced hookers in his condo. I will probably be calling his name out tonight when you scores a hat trick against Anaheim which will be Toronto's big test.