Any shops licensed to legally increase GVWR? sort of NF

thegrumpyfisherman

I have a 2011 Explorer, and want a bigger boat. Apparently my vehicle did have the option for a 5000 lb towing capacity, but I wasn't smart enough to get it and am currently stuck with the base 2000 lbs for another 4-5 years. I know a lot of people add stuff to their vehicles and exceed capacity all the time but would rather try to legally get a shop to do it to protect my butt if anything ever happened. Has anyone done this or know of where or whom may be able to do it? Obviously if there is a 5000 lb version of my vehicle, there must be a list of things required to meet those specs. I've found places like Cobra Customs in Mississauga who said they can do most of the work, (ie oil cooler, tranny cooler, suspension etc), but they aren't able to certify a new capacity.

Ya ya I know I should just get a new truck. :blahblah1:

No Ohio its all little stuff. Theres only one engine std. Its things like engine oil cooler, upgrading the rad, different wire harness etc. I already have a class 3 hitch so even that is ok. The boat package I'm looking at is about 3300 lbs, so it's not like I'm wanting to tow a yacht. Realistically like I said I could get all the work done and away I go, but neither the dealerships or the aftermarket shops I found are licensed to actually adjust the registered GVWR. I guess my question was basically if anyone knows of a shop that is. They must exist???

Good luck finding one. The way I understand it, only a manufacturer can identify the RGVW, and they do so at the time they make the vehicle. The implications of what you're considering - from an insurance and liability perspective - are pretty steep. I suspect that even if it could be done, the cost would at least equal what it would cost yo to take advantage of a trade in to a new vehicle with the current vehicle.

The way I understand it, only a manufacturer can identify the RGVW, and they do so at the time they make the vehicle. The implications of what you're considering - from an insurance and liability perspective - are pretty steep.

Vehicles get modded all the time, Vans turned into RV's, pickups turned into work trucks, I'm not sure I agree that only the manufacturer can do it. As to the implications, that was the whole intent of my original post, to find a shop that does this stuff legally and can certify the upgrade. If it's certified work there would be no insurance/liability implications. I agree getting a new truck is probably the easiest route, I was just attempting to see if anyone in the group has tried the alternative route. The frustrating part is the upgrade is very likely not structural at all in my particular vehicles case, the idea that ford has an entirely different chassis for such a small weight increase between packages wouldn't be very cost effective on their part. From everything I have read its largely sugar coated changes, and if that is indeed the case, it may not even be more than a few grand to do the work if I can find a licensed shop that does this type of stuff.

There used to be a couple of places in my general area that turned cars and vans into something else, but they seemed to be under contract with the vehicle mfgs to do so. They would stretch Cadillacs or turn them into Hearses, take a van and turn it into a box truck.

From what I could see of those operation just by deliverying and picking up at those places? It was done on new vehicles only, I have no clue who assumed the warranty or liability for the changes made.

When the Ford plant was running in Lorain Ohio they had all kinds of van chassis sitting in their lots waiting for shipment to conversion facilities.

Like with your pickup and van size ratings? F-150, F-250, F350? Each is intented for a specific load? There is some wiggle room?

My daughter tried to rent a Uhaul trailer in Rhode Island with her Explorer as the tow vehicle, Uhaul would not do it. It was a tanden axle enclosed trailer to move her furniture back to Ohio. I think they checked the vehicles towing capacity by the vin tag? The had no issues renting me one with my 2500 series Chevy van.

You might try checking with your vehicle insurance company? They might know of someone that does that sort of thing in your area? Or be able to tell you of the risks involved in uncertified changes?

The Explore issue has something to do with a huge liability issue with a fatal accident towing one of there trailers I believe,many years ago.Crippled u-haul to the point they almost lost everything.The truck was found not to be at fault,obviously U-haul did not agree.To this day,any ford Explorer is still not able to rent a trailer.

The narrow wheelbase of the earlier models seem to of been the issue.

I personally have run into this issue many times,and as late as last year. 0 tolerance still for any year.

Edited by davey buoy

by the sounds of it, the 2011 explorer tow package included a bigger rad, transmission cooler, engine oil cooler and the ability to lockout overdrive (unclear if it is the same transmission or not) but i am guessing you cannot do this with your model which is pretty important.. in addition, the 5000lb rating is only with a weight distributing hitch. again, i'd be looking to trade it in for something more suitable. that generation explorer went the way of crossover vehicle not truck.

Edited by Raf

by the sounds of it, the 2011 explorer tow package included a bigger rad, transmission cooler, engine oil cooler and the ability to lockout overdrive (unclear if it is the same transmission or not) but i am guessing you cannot do this with your model which is pretty important.. in addition, the 5000lb rating is only with a weight distributing hitch. again, i'd be looking to trade it in for something more suitable. that generation explorer went the way of crossover vehicle not truck.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I know it must be possible to do just doesn't seem anyone has ever attempted it the 'legal' way. You are all right, moving on to a newer vehicle would be plan 'A'. Unfortunately due to the fact I got married and recently 'unmarried', doing that is not an option for me for a few years which is why I was trying to explore if plan 'b' was possible. Yes I need a new truck I'm well aware that would be my best bet lol

I was hoping for an easier route, my truck is rated for 2000 and only want to make it good for 3500 or so. A friend has a Z7 and its total weight with trailer is about 1300 lbs more than my truck is rated for. In many cases upping capacity is an issue of welding frames and upgrading suspension. After doing the research as Raf points out it seems its more a matter of computer changes and cooling issues (plus the hitch which is already installed) on my particular truck, so was wondering if anyone had experience with places that can both make minor changes then certify the extra capacity. It would appear if there is such a service no-one is aware of it.

Thanks for the help though I will survive, was just exploring if there was another option. :Gonefishing:

Possible to do? Probably. But so far as I know only the original vehicle manufacturer is able to certify a GVWR. If you want a definite answer, call the Ministry of Transport and ask them.

Even if there is a way to have this done legally, so your insurance won't be voided and you aren't exposed to lawuits in the event of an accident, it's still probably cheaper (and definitely less fuss) to just trade it in on a different truck.

the gvwr will not change regardless read the side of your door placard that is the maximum allowable weight of vehicles gar and trailer what your really asking is to increase tow capability and add a 7 pin harness connector to run electric brakes add a weight distributing hitch since going to lower gars is cost prohibitive put smaller diameter tires on with higher load rating reprogram abs for smaller tires and a super duty trans cooler that should get you through.

or just keep the old boat

There used to be a couple of places in my general area that turned cars and vans into something else, but they seemed to be under contract with the vehicle mfgs to do so. They would stretch Cadillacs or turn them into Hearses, take a van and turn it into a box truck.

From what I could see of those operation just by deliverying and picking up at those places? It was done on new vehicles only, I have no clue who assumed the warranty or liability for the changes made.

When the Ford plant was running in Lorain Ohio they had all kinds of van chassis sitting in their lots waiting for shipment to conversion facilities.

Like with your pickup and van size ratings? F-150, F-250, F350? Each is intented for a specific load? There is some wiggle room?

My daughter tried to rent a Uhaul trailer in Rhode Island with her Explorer as the tow vehicle, Uhaul would not do it. It was a tanden axle enclosed trailer to move her furniture back to Ohio. I think they checked the vehicles towing capacity by the vin tag? The had no issues renting me one with my 2500 series Chevy van.

You might try checking with your vehicle insurance company? They might know of someone that does that sort of thing in your area? Or be able to tell you of the risks involved in uncertified changes?

Off topic to the OP but, this U Haul incident was prob because it was an Explorer, period. I had one years back, a 1991, and UHaul wouldn't rent me a trailer because of the roll over incidents occurring with Explorers and tire blow outs. I even provided proof that I had Ford replace the Firestones to Goodyears and thatall my tow equipment was good and in order. Said they'd rent to a Civic owner before they'd rent to an Explorer owner! I borrowed a Silverado and got what I needed! lol

GVWR on a factory completed vehicle cannot be made into anything more then what the manufacturer has rated it at; no matter what is done to the vehicle.

If the vehicle leaves the factory incomplete’ like a van with no rear body or a pick up without the box. They can have their GVWR altered using manufacturer’s recommendations or by the use of an automotive Engineer’s blue-prints that are approved by Transport Canada.

As for who can do this work; any garage that has licensed mechanic(s) at the place of business and if the garage owner is willing to jump through all the legal hoops that are required. There is a mountain’s worth of paper work too get these vehicles registered; but no special license for the places that build motorhomes, aftermarket cube van box, stretch limo or whatever.

Dan.

Even if you could get the GVWR up to the max, seeing you want to go by the book , the .pdf from Ford says to go over 2000 pounds you need to use a weight distributing hitch if I read it corrrectly. Do you really want to go to torsion bars and chains and possibly a sway bar. I can't say that I've even seen a boat trailer in that size even equipped with them ?

I'm done with the idea guys but thanks for the help. I didn't realize the idea was insane when I posed it, I'm not a vehicle expert. It just seems odd to me in my particular vehicles case that it isn't possible, because structurally based on what I read both packages don't involve structural changes. Obviously as I've learned the GVWR system is pretty rigid and doesn't allow what I was asking, so no big deal.

Thanks again new truck it is.

Tony

Edited by thegrumpyfisherman