What's your favorite muskie top water bait

bigcreekdad

Will be taking my annual September muskie trip to the French in a few weeks, so I thought this topic might be helpful.

My #1 is the Topper Stopper, followed by the Top Raider. I've had success with both.

I've tried some of the "walk the dog" baits (i.e. Poe's Jackpot), but never seem to get them into a consistent side to side rythym. Any thoughts on this?

So....what do you use?

BTW....was on the French last week. Not so good. Water temps went from low 70's day before we got there to 65. Never made it back to 70 other than one afternoon (which was our best afternoon I might add). Also, had 5 straight days of east winds. Never saw a muskie, and the only saving grace was casting small poppers on light spinning rods, which resulted in several bass and a few pike. Took a guide out one day as my son likes a shore lunch....fishing with a worm for lunch fish I caught a darn sheepshead almost 30" in length....it was probably 18-20" deep. Hell of a time getting it in on 6lb mono. Fun!!

I have typically been too greedy to stick with topwaters and go back to my subsurface confidence baits quickly.

However, I have landed to decent musky in two trips on a 10" black weagle WTD bait. Both fish hit the bait going straight up. It was awesome.

All my musky caught so far, have been landed on buck tails or bass gear. I do have a top raider and the lure pictured above. Which were recommended by friends.

Unfortunate about the french, I've been skunked twice this season, hopefully third times a charm, next weekend.

Have you used the musky sized Zara's Lew? I'm wondering how they compare to the ones in your post.

Im sure they will work. Ive had musky hit the bass sized ones. The Doc seems to walk easier though, compared to the zara's (i have not fished the musky sized ones) according to posts i remembered reading on another forum.

The Doc's are my favorite the rattles help sometimes . Easy to use and handle the waves nice when its real windy . Jackpots I use when its calmer . I have several whopper ploppers they really make some noise and have caught several nice fish for us . We tried the Muskie sized Zara's they are OK but don't swim as good as the Doc's . We fish for Stripers in the spring its a catch and release season in Maryland you have a chance at some over 40lbs my son and I use Muskie topwater lures for them 90% of the time so we get lots of practice working them

The Poes Jackpot has been dynamite for me. All my largest fish have come on it. The problem with them is they are not all created equal. Finding one that works the way I want it to isn't easy. Calm seas are required or light chop. Hits have been ferocious! The Doc has also been a great surface lure for me. Had the biggest smallie I've ever seen hit the 9" version on the Moon river. And my last 2 muskie excursions have produced 6 fish all on the Topraider. Have also used a creeper as a throwback bait after a muskie missed my Poes and she ate it! As far as the Zara Spook goes I have a couple of supersize ones but don't really use them so not to sure about them.

As far as durability, Poes suck. They hardware is cheap the eyes are just screwed in so after a while they get soft and the eyes could pull out. The doc seems to have solid hardware and the plastic body is much tougher than the wooden Poes.

Topraiders are great lures that are easy to toss all day but get messed up pretty quick after a few fish. I recently had to replace the shrink tubing on the back hook and found that there is no room for error. Too thick of tubing will result in the tail not spinning. So I ripped the tubing off with pliers threw it out there and caught a fish on it!

My name is Dave, and I am a topwater junkie!! :canadian: