What would be your best Laker trolling Lure

davey buoy

Another tip, don't troll straight :) Lakers are notorious followers like Brian said, they also don't turn on a lure when they hit (This is why they never release the clip fully).. Zigzag is the name of the game. Also, if you're seeing fish and they aren't hitting the riggers, drop a jig on their heads and fish them vertically (then you can play the cat and mouse game) I had to do that today, worked out well in the Sound.

IMGP0191.jpg

Flutter spoon - thin...my go to lure. The lakers seem to be moody, reflective tape at times works wonderful, but then again not. Flutter spoons, AC shinners, and even the rapella's with the little blade at the front worked beautifully in choppy sunny weather. Then there is flasher and dodger question. Lakers are tough because you have to find depth, location, speed, and what razzle turns their crank. Now if you are monster hunting the game changes and huge spoons and giant swim baits are the ticket. A good laker fishermen will get on fish if they are there because they know lakers moods like they know the moods of their wife.

In a nutshell I go with the spirit of the day tells you and reflect that with panache in what I present Mr and Mrs Laker. I tweak all the time.

Edited by scuro2

For downrigging lakers I have my go-to lure. It's a light spoon, about 4" long that's neon pink at the bottom, goes to yellow/gold in the middle and then a bright lime green at the top. No idea what this colour combo is called, but I always have the best luck with it at long point. I call it the best of the 80's.

I like the Lucky Strike Half Wave Spoon in Nickel

halfwave_31_l.jpg

Personally, I think lake trout are stupid fish. If you find them and they are foraging you will probably catch them on almost any spoon or trout lure.

That is one of my fav pike spoons.

Another tip, don't troll straight :) Lakers are notorious followers like Brian said, they also don't turn on a lure when they hit (This is why they never release the clip fully).. Zigzag is the name of the game.

Another great tip Bill. Many fish will hit on the turn.

My favorites are the Half Wave spoon, big flatfish (T50, T55 and T60's) and these Wolverine spoons are killer.

They are super pike catchers too!!!

IMG_21581_zpsa8c78f71.jpg

Wol1_zpsfa939d6c.jpg

Another good bait up here is a pair of lake trolls end to end followed by a 2-3# whitefish run off the downrigger. :)

the action on these are friggin sweet

1114H_5.1.jpg

As a lot of people have said and i think many people will agree, most fish are pretty dumb, and when they are biting they are biting.

As long as you adjust your lures according to water conditions, I.E. brighter stuff when the water is murky just so the fish can see it, you are probably going to have a decent day.

Same goes with Lakers, ive caught a relatively small one on a massive 5 of diamonds in the middle of the afternoon, while on another day ive fished for 10 hours in "perfect laketrout conditions" and marked and dragged past fish all day and never had a nibble.

just like when the pickerels are biting, the same spot will skunk you one day and bring in 20 in an hour the next.

24" lucky strike gang troll with a minnow following at about 18". Usually go bout 2.5 kilometers per hr. Some lakes copper colour is better, others silver. I use lead core rather than dipseys so u can work it. If its sandy botton dont b afraid of hittin bottom lots of times thats wen they strike.

We both hit bottom in 53' of water first time.Full of mussells.Not sure in this area maybe not a good thing?My dipsey is copper.Thanks.

Dave---You can buy a needle to thread a snell thru the minnow---needle has a hook---loop on snell---pull thru and usually leaves a double hook out backside of minnow for trollin

Ya don't want to just lip hook a minnow and hope it stays on

So if I'm using a gang troll,it comes with a hook?treble?noting?.Wonder how I can use a snelled hook and attach to a hook that maybe there on the gang troll?.Thank you sir.

So if I'm using a gang troll,it comes with a hook?treble?noting?.Wonder how I can use a snelled hook and attach to a hook that maybe there on the gang troll?.Thank you sir.

You'll have to supply the leader material , hooks and baiting needle. The top images and technique is very similar to what I do, but I just sew the mouth shut rather than the addition hook, I'm sure their method is equally good. They say the minnow must never spin, true to a point , you don't want the body arched till you get a fast spin but I prefer a very slow roll at trolling speed rather than running straight line.

http://www.michigansportsman.com/Tips_n_Trix/sewn_minnows.htm

The cut herring approach would be good if using larger baits.

This was my Dad's and my standard rigging with downriggers on tough clear Haliburton Lakes. Never needed that much finesse on Lake Ontario. No experience with Simcoe.

Edited by dave524

Usually you want to use dark colours in murky water and bright colours in clear water. One of my fav baits to run down deep (10ft off bottom) is a black/purple NK28...

Caught tons of GL lakers on black/purple and black/orange NK 28's and NK Mags. :good::good:

Sutton spoons were another good option for GL lakers.