home made trailer

FISHEYEZ

Does anyone have experience or advice for registering a small trailer, which was put together/refurbished/manufactured by me and some buddies, it is for a 12' boat. I was told it is as simple as walking in to service ontario and tell them it was home made. Cant believe it would be that simple, so what should I have prepared for when I do go in?

Thanks in advance!

If you register the trailer as homemade, you had best be sure there is no VIN plate or a serial # stamped into the frame somewhere.

The people at the license office don't care; because you're signing stating the information you have given them is true. It'll be the boys in the MTO uniforms that may get a little pissy; if the registration papers and identifying numbers on the trailer don't match.

Dan.

If you register it as home made and it's technically not, just make sure you remove the registration plate. You're not doing anything illegal by doing so. Technically if you change out any major component of the trailer (ie. tongue, axle, parts of the frame etc) then it's qualified as home made. And you also have to mark the trailer with the registration number somewhere on the trailer that you got with your license. If an officer can't match the number with something on the trailer than he has no idea if this is the trailer you registered. Or the opposite of that if he finds the original registration plate he's going to think you're trying to register multple trailers with the same license and just switch the plate around.

I have my trailer registered as home made because the only thing left is the frame from the original. But since I swapped out my tongue with the longer one I didn't have to worry about replacing the tag. I have my registration number etched into my trailer tongue, easy to find and read.

Also don't forget to having a working license plate light on your trailer. This is their favourite thing to nail people for and it's one of the most overlooked and forgotten things when building a custom trailer. It doesn't have to look pretty, doesn't even have to be really functional, just has to be a white light sorta/kinda pointing towards the general direction of the plate.