Fishing for Tyler Salmon trip With FisherPete

Freshtrax

Seems like forever ago I bid on a chance to go out on lake O. For a day of salmon fishing with Fisherpete. Probably because I have been looking forward to it since the day i won the auction.

The day Started early for me i was out of bed and on the road for 3AM, We had made arrangement to meet in the east end for 5am. We met , and after a brief introductions we launched pete's sweet fishing machine and were headed out onto the lake guided by the supermoon

P8100557_zps88f866b0.jpg

Pete was as nervous as 16 year old on prom night to put me on fish but it did not take long the day started of with some little guys an a few shakers that released themseves, the action was fast and furious for an hour or so for us well away from the pack of other anglers. we even had a double header on for a while.

DSCF0003_zpsd90153e8.jpg

The fishing slowed down a bit as the sun came up but the larger fish decided to come out and play.

DSCF0006_zps7dcb44a0.jpg

Pete working his magic on the riggers, although we would have done ok with one dipsy in particular, as most fish came on one rod .

P8100560_zps512faa83.jpg

DSCF0007_zps3369d89a.jpg

DSCF0011_zps278c0839.jpg

at this point my arms were tired as pete refused to touch a rod all morning and i demanded he reel one in. little did I know Pete had this particular fish trained to not put up any fight whatsoever and swim right into the net.

P8100558_zps91bd4245.jpg

The fishing shut down around 10:45 and we tried with no results for a while longer and decided to call it.

Thanks Pete for having me! I loved Fighting these guys on the 80lb braid. what a difference from mono, I had an absolute riot. So much in fact i am about to list my snowmobile up on kijijji to hurry up the process of getting a bigger boat, and a chance to find a 30lb'er 3 more sleeps and i will be out with Pikeslayer for some more excitement.

Edited by Freshtrax

Thanks Andrew for bidding on this trip and donating to the Fishing for Tyler event. It's been my honour to take out three groups of great guys doing these trips, and all were very successful days on the water. I'm looking forward to doing it again next year!

I was indeed quite nervous going into that day, it's been a pretty tough season for me on Lake O so far - my best day so far before this was only 2 kings a few times, and one trip I managed 3 bows. I knew that it was for a good cause regardless, but still, you want to put on a good show out there! Between 5:30am and 11am, we ended up going 6 for 9, 5 kings and the one bow which was just under 10lbs. No real giant kings, but a few that were in the high teens and gave Andrew a new PB salmon and some great fights. His longest king was 35.5" and is a solid entry for his team in the OFC tournament! I had marked tons of bait and hooks the night before in the same spot that Andrew and I fished, but none would bite... I was on the fence about coming back there but I did, and thankfully they did eat the next morning!

That steelhead was weird, nice solid hit on the rigger on a high spoon and then came in like a log. Not a single headshake or anything. Like Andrew said, I must have trained it to swim right into the net LOL!

The wind can go away now - I haven't been able to get out again since! Would love to get into a few 25+ kings and maybe even my first tyee before the season winds down.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete