Another outboard question

Joeytier

I picked up a nice condition 1970 viking 6 hp outboard a couple weeks ago for my 12 footer. The first time I had it out it would run quite well at speed but idled very rough with lots of sputtering. I did some research on the motor and adjusted the premix and added seafoam and lead substitute, and had it out again for a night trolling. I was impressed by how well it idled, and trolled down beautifully all night, however my top end has dropped drastically (close to 50%). I consistently noticed that if I throttled up too fast it would struggle to find gas and sputter out, but if I go slowly it will eventually find the gas, but certainly not where it should be. Any idea as to what is causing this? I am guessing it is fuel delivery issue?

I'd taker for another good rip and see if it will blow out. Sometimes the seafoam takes a while to work things out of the system. No doubt, there is lots of crud worked out of it. If that fails, its time for a proper carb clean and set up.

S.

If I had a 44 year old wall hanger and it started I would over the Moon. Neat find, super bonus she runs at all. I wonder if it's worth more to a collector. Sell it for big money and buy something newer. I wouldn't. Man it is so cool when I see an oldie but goldie pushing a 50 year old Sears car topper. Please be gentle to her. Heck she must be 80 in outboard motor years!

Fuel lines are fine(look damn near new actually), haven't checked for weak spark but I suspect thats a nonissue and that it's a high speed jet issue. Funny that I have the exact sane goddamn problem on my big bear now. It's a shame that I hate tinkering with old motors, or else I might be having a little bit of fun with this...

Once it "finds it's fuel" as you put it, does it seem to be ok on the top end (other than slower). I am just wondering if when you adjusted the low speed you leaned it a bit too much. I would try turning the low speed jet back out about 1/8 of a turn and see if that improves it.