Thinking of adding Netflix NF

davey buoy

For $8.99 a month I know that can't just be it.Googled and found that streaming in hdmi can use up to 4.7gb /hour?

What do people do If you were to watch for any length?. I currently have 30gb with bell.So far so good with our daily usage as of right now. If you were to use it for 7 hours over a month watching 3 or 4 movies,that alone would put me over my cap.

For anyone that has it or knows more about it,I would be interested to know what you did?,and is it worth it?.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

Our family has netflix but we have something like a 275G limit. We are probably guilty as the next family thinking that you would eventually start eliminating extra packages from cable TV to basically even it up or save money. Well, it hasn't happened and it just makes it easy to watch tv on your tablet or laptop etc. Netflix does have a few things extra like movies and tv series made just for Netflix like "House Of Cards", and Orange is the new Black etc.

Bottom line is that with 4 members in the house during non-summer months we can push the 275G to the limit easily. We don't sit and watch TV 24-7 but it just adds up.

Besides Netflix we use XBMC and also have the Slingbox...

Still can't figure out why after spending all this cash on programming I never seem to get the fishing channels!

Our family has netflix but we have something like a 275G limit. We are probably guilty as the next family thinking that you would eventually start eliminating extra packages from cable TV to basically even it up or save money. Well, it hasn't happened and it just makes it easy to watch tv on your tablet or laptop etc. Netflix does have a few things extra like movies and tv series made just for Netflix like "House Of Cards", and Orange is the new Black etc.

Bottom line is that with 4 members in the house during non-summer months we can push the 275G to the limit easily. We don't sit and watch TV 24-7 but it just adds up.

Besides Netflix we use XBMC and also have the Slingbox...

Still can't figure out why after spending all this cash on programming I never seem to get the fishing channels!

Thanks Raycaster.My wife is looking at 3 series that are only made ,or playing on Netflix.I believe two of them are what you mentioned. I know like everyone,just those three series will escalate to 4,5,and so on lol. I could only imagine how much more a month 300gb's would be.

either upgrade your internet service to a higher limit or, if not possible, with a 30GB monthly limit, i wouldnt bother. you'll chew through your alotment in a week. we pay about $47/month for 300gb with teksavvy

Edited by Raf

Don't know much about Netflix but if your cap is 30 gig and you plan on watching 3-4 of HD programing a day you will most certainly go over 30 gig...I use a GBox and switched from Rogers to a Rogers reseller and got better speed and unlimited bandwidth for less money...you will have to see if there is a Rogers reseller in Barrie...try Start Communictions.

30GB as a limit won't work with Netflix... Your overage charges will kill any savings. If you do want to use Netflix you would have to increase your limit, by switching providers or using another offer from one to get Bell to raise your limit with them. Not sure what options you have around you but getting a decent cable connection with 200-300 GB shouldn't cost more than 55.00 a month including taxes. So if you can cancel or reduce your cable package to get a higher GB limit and Netflix for the same money you are paying then it makes sense.

I started using freephone.ca for voip last August and got rid of my phone bill totally after paying 130.00 to set it up. I then dropped my Satellite package to the lowest one Shaw offers, but increased my internet to use the voip and d/l anything I want to watch that isn't on Shaw. So I went from paying 28.00 for home phone, 44.00 for internet and 67.00 for satellite. To 41.00 for shaw (which I am going to cancel next month, as there just isn't anything worth watching on the minimum package anymore) and 51.00 for internet....

For the longest time I just paid the bills when they came in and didn't really look at if I was getting any real value for the money. Then I got my hours cut at work and so I started to really examine where my money was going. I was paying over 1668.00 a year and will have cut it to

612.00 for a year next month with no real change except I have to pick and choose the media I want to watch.

30gb definitely won't cut it. Davey what series are you looking for? If I've got them already, I can put them on a USB stick for you, let me know.

LOL I do that too, but it has gotten to the point that I NO LONGER do it until someone gives me a USB stick to do it with. If you give someone 4 or 5 seasons of a series even if they give it back when they are done it still takes a while to get it back. And if you mail them to family you don't see that often the post office employees seem feel entitled to scoop them out of the mail stream, instead of delivering them.

30gb definitely won't cut it. Davey what series are you looking for? If I've got them already, I can put them on a USB stick for you, let me know.

That's quite the offer Bill,I'll let you know.Need to give ma bell a call when I'm in the right mindset if you know what I mean.lol.

I have unlimited internet through a promotion I got with bell. We love netflix, great for the kids and we watch occasional movies etc. We watch a few series on solar movie as well. I can't imagine 30G would do.

How did you get that?,new customer?,and how long is the promotion for?

Thanks guys so far with your replies.What are you using to see it on the screen other than a smart TV?,xbox,playstation,Wii,?

we use a PS3 on one TV and a WDTV box on the other. Both play content stored on my NAS as well.

Do you have kids? You mentioned the wife wanting to watch some stuff. My experience was not pleasant with Netflix and kids. Slapped a bunch of times by rogers for over data usage, kids sitting infront of t.v. for hours, arguing over what movie to watch....so on and so on .Its gone now and they don't bother asking for it back. And I Like that.

Im not much of a t.v. guy so I do not know what I may have been missing myself except more data usage.

I do like sons of anarchry and the news.

Cheers Matt

I was considering doing the Netflix switch myself. However, I would definitely upgrade my internet bandwidth to unlimited. More for peace of mind than anything. I am with Teksavvy as well, and going from 300G to Unlimited is an additional $20/month for me. So, I'd still save $40+ by cancelling my satellite TV after subscribing to Netflix and upgrading my internet connection.

However, I'd recommend testing it out first. I am sure they still have those 30 day trials. I say this because when it first came to Canada I went with a 30 day trial. I don't know why, but the quality was just horrible. It was worse than watching a VHS video tape. Maybe it was just my settings, I don't know. I just assumed Rogers was throttling me and Netflix set me at the lowest quality because of it. What I've seen at other peoples homes is far superior though. HD quality.

Couple of points with Netflix though.

When you subscribe, you get something like five accounts. So, I've had multiple people offer me free accounts.

What you get on Netflix in Canada differs than what is in the UK and USA. However, there are ways to get all three if you are inclined to do so.

It might be worth checking out Apple TV and the Roku media devices as well. You don't need them since almost every device has Netflix on it these days. However, they offer other streaming services that make switching from cable/satellite much more appealing. However, some of it is not for the non-techy since it's still early days and can be buggy.

Only thing I find with NetFlix is that most of the movies are older and I have already seen them. There are a few good series; House of Cards, Covert Affairs but after last winter we had watched almost everything right up to date that we were interested in. We hardly ever turn it on anymore.

Well I do have a Wii system hooked up.If I can get a descent deal on upgrading my data,do you really think it is necessary to watch Netflix in HD?.I know the older content/movies would not make much of a difference.Just thinking if I go for the month free when ready,It won't cost anymore to get started. Be a good way to utilize the unit as it hasn't been used in over two years .

Thanks again for all your comments,been quite helpful.

Only thing I find with NetFlix is that most of the movies are older and I have already seen them. There are a few good series; House of Cards, Covert Affairs but after last winter we had watched almost everything right up to date that we were interested in. We hardly ever turn it on anymore.

A simple DNS change will get you the US content.

A simple DNS change will get you the US content.

Bill, you are talking to a guy that grew up with steam engines. Unless you can tell me to "Click here" and give it to me step by step I have no idea what I am doing LOL. Don't even know what DNS stands for "well maybe" Do Not Surender?

Actually I think we have the US content, my son set it up for me. We do use the Wii but we also have a WDTV Live unit and I just use it. I find it easier.

Edited by Big Cliff

TechSavvy cable is one I would recommend. 30G isn't enough, with working from home (remote desktops..) , youtube, daughter streaming music and a few other items WITHOUT netflix we can occasionally go over 150Gb.

I would also suggest you look at the shows you want, there are companies where you can purchase a proxy from for less than $50 a year and you can set it so it looks like you are in the US, the UK or any other country you want. I don't have Netflix but was thinking I might in the fall and when I looked into it one of the criticisms was that the Canadian selection isn't as large as the US or UK. By setting up a proxy you can setup the UK or US. My brother in law turned off the cable completely and uses a free to air (think the old rabbit ears... but now it is digital) to watch a couple of the local channels (you can get an indoor antennae for about $25) and the rest on the computer.

This one article you can check out but I see the links to "free tv" in the related articles list.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/gadgets-and-gear/gadgets/roku-streaming-tv-box-a-new-option-for-canadas-cable-haters/article4103183/

Edited by mosquito

How did you get that?,new customer?,and how long is the promotion for?

New customer. I had just dumped Rogers for everything including my cell phones. I called Ma Bell to order a landline (wife's insistence) and was going with teksavvy for internet and was going to use the internet for television etc. Bell came up with a deal for 2 years that I couldn't beat and included unlimited internet. They tried to screw me about 4 months into it ( of course) but I had written everything down including names of those I had talked to etc. in anticipation of that (dealt with Rogers and bell way to many times in the past) and they had no choice but to honour the deal.

You don't need a fancy proxy to get US Netflix, like I posted on page 1 a simple DNS change is all thats needed. You can find the DNS server IP's on Youtube... 5 mins and you're done.

We use adfreetime. 1.99 / month -- for the cost of an extra large double double, I don't have to worry about the free ones going down and the aggravation of finding a new one. I'm worth more than 2 bucks for 5 minutes. LOL In addition to Netflix region picker, it also lets me get around the NHL Gamecenter blackouts and stream Pandora ;) There's a host of other services they support but we dont use them.

Edited by Raf