Weekend Report

Uncle Buck

Andrea took me out to celebrate my 29th birthday on Friday Night, nice romantic dinner at the edgewater here in stoney creek, i almost had a heart attack when i saw the bill , thank god she paid :clapping: .

As if the dinner wasn't enough, she also got me a baitrunner reel for carp fishing... here she be, 9 ball bearings, and a metalic flake paint job

DSCF1055Large.jpg

Tried it out Saturday morning, carp were in, but sadly they were spawning, 2 words...

LOCK JAW

Did get to meet Steve/Photoz and talked tatics though

gave it a go from 7:30 till 2 and said screw it, and went home and slept... after that birthday feast at home with too much food and cake, needless to say the night ended off with me feeling bloated. Set the Alarm clock for 5am and was gonna give the carp another go, luckily it was pouring rain when i woke up, so i went back to sleep...

here's an "action" shot from saturday... need to pick up another carp rod, but for now one of the tdr rod's will have to do...

DSCF1027Large.jpg

Happy belated bd Uncle Buck. Hope my bd next week is half as nice as yours!

One day I'm gonna have to try Carp fishing rather than whining about them scaring off my beloved Crappie!

Oh man you are bad!!! The Tica Abyss - very nice

I went back to Fishing World on Sunday afternoon to look at that reel and it was gone!!!

Oh well, Thank Andrea for saving me some money.

Action was the same down there on Sunday. Lots more shore splashing - Wish I had my bow with me. The guys on the rocks did get a few though. ! very big one. I guessed mid 20's or higher.

Nice report and happy belated b-day. And I've also had the same lcuk with carp down there. But We usally fish it at night. We've tried corn, bolies, worms and nothing. The only fish we manged to catch was a bunch of rock bass and a bunch of silver bass. Seen the carp spawning all over those shorelines and some of them were monsters.

Here's a pic of the silver bass

Picture287.jpg

Thanks for the report and nice setup there G!

xrap...

You caught a White Perch, not a Silver Bass

Here is a technical comparison:

White Bass

white_bassbig.jpg

COMMON NAMES: White bass, Silver bass

SCIENTIFIC NAME: Morone chrysops

IDENTIFICATION: White bass are silvery in color and have a milky white belly. In addition, they have six or more dark lateral lines on the sides and back. This fish has two dorsal fins with the first having nine spines. The white bass closely resembles the hybrid striped bass and the white perch.

White Perch (Your mystery fish)

white_perchbig.jpg

COMMON NAMES: White perch, Silver perch, Gray perch, Blue nose perch

SCIENTIFIC NAME: Morone americana

IDENTIFICATION: The white perch is a deep bodied fish that looks very similar to the white bass. The main difference is that the white perch is all silver and does not have dark lines running the length of the body.

Hope that helps! I know it's nice to know what you have caught :)

Cool, never really fished for carp but might have to give it a try.

first post in months for me by the way, my computer has been having issues with this site and then ive been busy with school and such.

bring on the bass!

Guest gbfisher

Sorry to hear about NO FISH.. Im sure running into steve was good though. He knows his stuff.

Tonyb was right....WHITE PERCH! Lots of guys out where I fish identify them wrong as well. They eat them too. Say they taste GREAT. I myself will stick wih Yellow Perch though...lol

Uncle Buck, which pod is that? Looks sweet.

Wow...that equipment looks great! I'm still not sure I want to invest in all that....but if I keep having fun with the carp then you never know. Happy belated BD uncle buck! Andrea picks out some cool presents too :)

ccmtcanada, you never know....I told myself not to invest there and now I have so many toys I need a shopping cart to haul them around ;-)

Ah the elusive Baitrunner Reel!

Just flip the lever, and were freespoolin' mate.

Only if I would remember to flip that switch every time. I forgot to do that several times on my last trip and one on of those times I had a fish on. Pod and everything else would be swimming if my son was not standing right there.

Only if I would remember to flip that switch every time. I forgot to do that several times on my last trip and one on of those times I had a fish on. Pod and everything else would be swimming if my son was not standing right there.

I wasn't too worried...It just means you'll have to get me a whole new outfit. :thumbsup_anim:

Dad, I've got my eyes on

- Chris Orne or Nick Buss custom tied Harrison Torrix 2.75lb carp rod

- Shimano LC baitrunner or Daiwa Infinity BBR or Daiwa Sportsmatic (I'm not too picky :D)

- Solar Worldwide pod + global conversion kit + solar buzz bars

- Set of Delkim TXI bite alarms + Receiver

- Set of Kryptonite hangers (Or swingers if you can find a set)

Don't worry, we don't have to tell mom about the bill :whistling:

I wasn't too worried...It just means you'll have to get me a whole new outfit. :thumbsup_anim:

Dad, I've got my eyes on

- Chris Orne or Nick Buss custom tied Harrison Torrix 2.75lb carp rod

- Shimano LC baitrunner or Daiwa Infinity BBR or Daiwa Sportsmatic (I'm not too picky :D)

- Solar Worldwide pod + global conversion kit + solar buzz bars

- Set of Delkim TXI bite alarms + Receiver

- Set of Kryptonite hangers (Or swingers if you can find a set)

Don't worry, we don't have to tell mom about the bill :whistling:

Mike, you have to let me know what you did to get your dad to register here. I'll do the same and I have my list ready (much longer than yours though). LOL

Lazybum, welcome to the board (I fished with Mike a few times and had a chat with you after one of the crazy January steelhead outing...)

That WAS maddening Saturday . . . . seeing all those groups of as many as 6 or 7 big carp at a time, in so shallow their backs were outta the water. It's amazing just how fast that end of the bay warmed up . . . they usually spawn a couple weeks later? The water in the Ottonabee is still quite cool, and they haven't hit the 'spawn' mode yet! How does one get on your gal-friend's birthday list . . . I could use some new toys . . . . and that pod?? Never saw a set-up like that before . . . . is it a converted camera tripod? I've seen a few real neat home-made pods, that started out as camera tripods . . . . that one looks real good. As for a new rod . . . didja check with Mike at Fishing World . . . . he might still have some of the 1/2 price discontinued Technium & Nexave 12 footers . . . real bargoons . . . . if you're interested. I'm on holidays this week, and I'm gettin' as much fishin' time in as I can . . . . got some medical procedures comin' up which will likely cut my fishin' off for the rest of the summer . . . . but I just MIGHT be able to squeeze in another week, 2 weeks down the road . . . . when the carp start hitting again in the bay! Good luck. Too bad there wasn't another spot over on the rockpile Saturday . . . . I'da liked to chew the fat a bit, but even with the loud buzzer & baitrunner style reel, I never go far from it . . . . not keen on swimming the Hamilton Harbour trying to find it if sometning goes wrong!