Honey Harbour for Island Camping and Bass fishing

Paul A

Hey guys, a group of guys go island camping usually in the Madoc-Tweed area but we are looking for something new. Can anyone tell me if there are similar opportunities in the Honey Harbour area. And if so, how is the bass fishing in that area.

the Georgian bay largemouth population is a tricky one...it seems you are either in the right spot and they are there consistently, or you go to the next part of the lake, get into the pads and the whole setup looks the same and there are no largies to be found.

There is probably a good reason why I personally have yet to witness anyone ever targeting largemouths in the pointe au baril area...i dont mind it because it means that there are more for me to catch :)

Ive been fishing the eastern shores of georgian bay for 8 years now and If i were you, I would be targeting pike and pickerel...its taken me many years to consistently get large mouths and even then its nowhere near what the kawarthas or other lakes have to offer.

oh and as far as smallies go, once again...slightly elusive, they are around SEE PROFILE PICTURE <-----...just not as consistently as other species

Pick your spots and it's non stop action. The opener this year was crazy.

Back in the late 70,s my pop had us on smallies and buckets all the time. Heck we would just fish the back of Snake and it was buckets galuor. Oh wait, that was ,5,10 15,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,40 years ago. Guess things have changed. Your right though Bill. Smallies everywhere. Need to get back out there and try them again this year. Super strong fish.

Thanks so much for all your feedback. This is my first topic post and I am delighted that there are so many other fishing nuts out there and that I'm not the only one.

In the past our fishing group, about 12 guys started island camping at Lingham Lake (Madoc area) and after the trails got so bad we had to find other places to go. Other locations we have gone to include Deerock Lake and Limerick Lake. We are just looking for something new, and something that may produce larger Bass. The amount of fish has never really been a problem but the size has never been great.

Big smallies in Georgian, as per my avatar. I'm heading to the exact area you are thinking about camping on Sunday and just came back from there 2 weeks ago. Another spot you should try is called Gin Islands, you could spend a whole day fishing them, they are close to GB provincial park. Send a pm (private message) and I will give you more details on lures and areas. Cheers

If you have a canoe or boat, one of the nicest Georgian Bay parks is the Massassauga. Its south of Parry Sound in the Moon river basin. Its got lots of typical mixed species and good camp sites. I have only boated in, but have had good luck with bass and pike everytime I go.