Trailer tires

mattp33

I have been looking to upgrade my boat trailer tires. I just had it in to the shop for some brake work and asked the guy why my tires were wearing funny? The outside and inside row of tread are half the size as the middle rows.

He tells me that the axle is too light for the trailer and its flexing and that a radial tire will help a little.

Can I use the same rim as the bias-ply? Or maybe get some shiny ones?

I highly doubt the axle is too light. Most of the time they overrate the axle by at least 500lbs for the heaviest boat that will fit on it. So even if you trailer your boat fully loaded with stuff in it you're still probably below the limit. The first thing to go if you're overloading the trailer is almost always the bearings, especially if the axle is flexing and suspension is bottoming out. And even still, you'll notice your leaf pack bottom out (it's perfectly straight or even bent upwards) before the axle reaches it's weight limit. So moral of the story, pretty much everything else will go before the axle does - safety regs. Things that won't cause a catastrophe as you're doing 100km/h on the highway are designed to break first, or at least give you warnings that you're overloaded.

If both edges are wearing faster than the middle it's under inflation 100%.

And anyways, if the mechanic seriously thought your axle was flexing he should know that different tires are NOT the proper fix.

Wonder if they checked that when I asked them to do a once over on everything

Don't depend on others to check your tire pressure, find out what they should be and check them yourself EVERY trip then you know it's right.

And check your spare too....just in case.

Under inflated. Mine calls for 50 PSI. There is also a sticker on my trailer that indicates what the tire pressure should be. I check it each time before I head out.

If you also carry a spare, make sure that one is properly inflated.

Edited by Rich Clemens

I always have a tire gauge and air pump in my van. First time you need the air pump on the road for your trailer tires or vehicle it pays for its self. All tires have the max load and air pressure ratings on the side wall near rim.

The max pressure is just that do not go over it.

The pressure your trailer tires wants is dependent on the weight they are carrying. You now know that the 30 something you have been running them at is too soft.

Bump them up to 40 or 45 and then after a few road trips, go and read the tire tread. If the center of the tread is showing noticeable ware then there's to much pressure. If there's no visible difference then you've found the pressure they like and yes you may need to go up to the max pressure.

If the outside tread still show excessive ware then you're into buying a different load range tire that can handle the weight.

Dan.

Also at the highest pressure the tire does not heat up as much.
A low tire allows the sidewall to flex more as it rotates.

The flexing creates heat in the sidewall. Enough heat and the rubber can melt causing a blowout.
Running the rated pressure also makes for less friction between the tire and the road making it easier to pull.
This advise also goes for any tire.
Most vehicles have the recommended pressure on a sticker inside the drivers door.

The tire has a max rating of 50psi should I run it at the max? I find that the trailer bounces a lot and I dont think the suspension is even allowed to do anything with such an under infalted tire

If you read the side wall, The max pressure of 50psi is when the tire is "cold",

So yes, inflate those tires to 50psi, the tires can handle the increase in pressure when they get warm on the road.

Spray paint the thread of the tires with some light colored paint, then run them, it will be more obvious to figure out where the tire threads are wearing out.

I got fed up wearing out trailer tires. So I change them to passenger tires, they run softer ride, wears out way longer and cheaper to buy used ones at kijiji as well.

I use the same rim for the radial tires, google info for matching radial tires size to your trailer tires. The radial tires can also be balance, unlike trailer tires, they do not recommend them balance.

Edited by bassfighter

Some of my towing is extreme distances so I also carry an electronic temperature reader and check the tires and hubs along with a tire gauge. It is an easy way to spot trouble before it gets out of hand.

And speaking of trailer tires and if you haven't done it yet, be sure the lug wrench for your truck wheels also fits the lugs on your trailer wheels, because they don't always.

You don't want to be stranded on the side of the hiway because you can't get the lugs off.