Channel Cats?

Locnar

Hey folks, I got a quick question for any channel cat anglers out there. I am from Courtice Ontario and am wondering where the nearest waters holding catties would be. Would it be the Trent River? Also, having never caught or fished for channels, any tips? Lots of patience?

Thanks fellas

The lower Grand River below the Dunnville dam is the BIG Cat capital of Ontario if you ask me. Still getting some big girls there, not like early spring. Park your butt on any bank and drop a circle hook with an uncooked shrimp on it. Hold on. Medium tackle is fun but I've seen nice 6 foot spinning rods snap like raw spaghetti.

PM me if you wish for a few go to spots. Actually can call Steve Hardcastle and he will set you up If you buy his bait and launch there, both are good as well.

Google Charlie Wrays Fishful Thinking, with Fishmasters Steve Hardcastle. Or go to Fishmasters Charters website.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I live in Cambridge. All these guys talking about the Grand are spot on. I've seen many a fishin show filmed below Dunnville. It's definitely the best in the province. But, I was also born and raised on the Trent River, and it hold some big ones as well. Bradley Bay, south of Campbellford holds a lot of good ones as well as big Muskie.

Good luck!

Best bait/rig for cats are a sinker large enough to hold bottom where you are fishing. Make a loop about 15 inches above and put a circle hook on a 5 inch lead. Put chicken liver fresh on the hook and put it out in any place the current is swirling and ebbing. For the big cats use fresh cut sucker in steaks with a single pass of the hook thru it. Once you get a scent trail going after a few bait ups the fish will find you if they are in the area.

Art

FWIW about 40 years ago I did a lot of channel cat fishing when I lived in the Long Point /Port Rowan area. We would surf cast on the lake side of the point down off Hastings Ave. You could catch them during the day but evening was better. Good sized fish too, average was 8-10 pounds and larger ones near 20 on occasion. Salt water spinning gear , rod stands, clip on bells for bite indicators and pyramid sinkers in the sand were the ticket. I don't know if they are still there??? 2 things to consider are the water is a lot clearer now than in the early 70's and it may be more of a night bite on the other hand Erie is in a lot better shape now as far as water quality and numbers of fish are vastly improved. One of the guys I used to fish with was " Buck Vance" out of Tilsonburg, he was pretty well known as an outdoorsman in the area and had lots of good stories to tell, his brother had a mostly fly fishing shop in Tilsonburg, most of the inventory came from the old Herter's Mail Order in the States, that got swallowed up by Cabelas. The spot was productive all summer right up till hunting season , when I switched to waterfowl hunting.