Missing boater

kickingfrog

http://www.nugget.ca/2014/06/15/opp-searching-for-missing-boater

Ontario Provincial Police are still looking for 17-year-old Christopher Stanley following a boating incident this morning on Lake Nosbonsing around 8:45 a.m.

North Bay OPP said the unmanned fishing boat with its motor running circled the two young men while they called for help.

Citizens in the area managed to rescue one of the boaters, Nicholas Watson, 17 of Bonfield, prior to police arrival.

Nicholas was transported to hospital by ambulance for an assessment.

An extensive search for the other boater is still being conducted by the North Bay OPP, North Bay Marine Unity, North East Region Snowmobile, All Terrain and Vessel Enforcement (SAVE) Team, OPP Helicopter Unit and Underwater Search and Recovery Unit.

I fished all the time as a teenager from a small tiller with no lifejacket.

My dad aways said his number one job as a parent was that he raise me to be better then him by learning from his mistakes.

I hope when my kids are older they always wear their lifejackets when I'm not around.

http://www.nugget.ca/2014/06/16/widdifield-in-mourning

Christopher Stanley will be remembered for his mischievous grin, his love for football and the outdoors and his wardrobe consisting of mostly camo and plaid.

The Widdifield Secondary School family is grieving the loss of one of their own.

Flags at Widdifield were flown at half-mast Monday as a tribute to Christopher, a Grade 12 student who was involved in a boating accident on Lake Nosbonsing Sunday around 8:45 a.m.

Details about the incident remain unclear, however police said an unmanned fishing boat with its motor running was circling two young men while they called for help.

Citizens in the area managed to rescue the second teen in the boat who was identified by Ontario Provincial Police as 17-year-old Nicholas Watson of Bonfield.

Nicholas was transported to hospital by ambulance for an assessment.

The OPP Underwater Search and Recovery Unit spent Sunday searching for Christopher.

His body was located and recovered almost 12 hours later. A post mortem was scheduled to take place today.

Lisa O'Kane, principal at Widdifield said the entire school's thoughts and prayers are with the Stanley family as they go through the loss of their son.

“As a wildcat family we too grieve. Once a wildcat always a wildcat.”

O'Kane said this year's graduating class, which Stanley was to be a part of, will honour their fellow student.

She details haven't been finalized, however the football team has signed his white home football jersey.

“Christopher just returned from a five-day outdoor canoe trip as part of his outdoor education class. He just loved the outdoors,”O'Kane said.

“He was also highly regarded at JS Redpath where he worked as a cooperative student.”

Critical Emergency Response Teams were deployed to Widdifield before students arrived Monday. Emergency Response Teams are comprised of school board staff who have received special training to work with people during a crisis.

Board chairman David Thompson issued a statement on behalf of the school board, “Today the Near North District School Board family is saddened by the tragic boating accident involving two of our Grade 12 students that has unfortunately claimed the life of one of them who attended Widdifield Secondary.”

“On behalf of the entire board, I would like to extend our sympathies and thoughts to both families, their classmates and staff at both schools as today is not a day that matters what school you go too,” he stated.

The Widdifield Student Council also posted a message on its website, “Our hearts and souls go out to the Stanley and Watson families right now. Their loss is also our loss. Chris' smile will forever be remembered in the halls of Widdifield.”

“We will all get through this together. RIP Chris.”

Christopher's friends and classmates went to Facebook and Twitter to express their feelings.

A Facebook page, RIP Chris Stanley, has been set-up for people to offer their condolences and share pictures.

“There is not one dry eye at Widdifield today. You were and are well loved Chris,” posted Holly Macie.

Students used the hash tag #RIPChrisStanley on Twitter to pay tribute.

@mackenzie_vh posted “Our school praying together for Chris' family and friends was beautiful and warmed my heart.

@kerry_ksmith posted “The only time goodbye is painful is when you know you will never say hello again. #RIPChrisStanley.

Nugget.ca will update story

A good way to teach young ones about water safety is to lead by example..I admit that I rarely wear a pfd but its always close by...With these incidents I will be wearing mine from now on, especially when the boat is moving..