Scotty ORCA Rod Holders

DRIFTER_016

The ones I have seen fail are the clamp on ones.

Had guests up @ the lodge bring them up and watched the clamps snap and rods went over board while trolling T60's for lakers.

Happened twice in about an hour.

Luckily the quick thinking guide B) instantly did a big circle and managed to catch the downed rod with the other line to retrieve the rod and reel.

TWICE!!!!! :D

• 1 year later...

The ones I have seen fail are the clamp on ones.

Had guests up @ the lodge bring them up and watched the clamps snap and rods went over board while trolling T60's for lakers.

Happened twice in about an hour.

Luckily the quick thinking guide B) instantly did a big circle and managed to catch the downed rod with the other line to retrieve the rod and reel.

TWICE!!!!! :D

That is scary. Were those the double clamp; or the single clamp model? I may have to start tethering my rods.

That is scary. Were those the double clamp; or the single clamp model? I may have to start tethering my rods.

They were double clamp ones. They can't handle the stress of a T60 Flatfish over long periods of use.

Especially if you're pounding bottom with them.

FYI, I bought the Orca's and they are awesome holders!!!! :)

Trolling T60s for Muskies, and I assume Lakers, what happens is the violent shaking of the lure, and in between the violent shaking there is a slight pause, or slack, that causes the S10 Salties to raise, and pop out of there position, and your rod and reel are now heading to the water if not tethered, Trolling normal crank baits there is always a constant drag or pressure which keeps the holder in its place, not with T60s though, as there is that brief pause or slack when things can go wrong

Trolling T60s for Muskies, and I assume Lakers, what happens is the violent shaking of the lure, and in between the violent shaking there is a slight pause, or slack, that causes the S10 Salties to raise, and pop out of there position, and your rod and reel are now heading to the water if not tethered, Trolling normal crank baits there is always a constant drag or pressure which keeps the holder in its place, not with T60s though, as there is that brief pause or slack when things can go wrong

So they are not actually breaking then; just releasing the rod? So, I will probably be fine running dipseys which is my main use for the Salties.

So they are not actually breaking then; just releasing the rod? So, I will probably be fine running dipseys which is my main use for the Salties.

No, the ones I spoke about broke.

One of the legs broke (the forward one) and before you could get your hands on the rod the aft one would snap.

The rod and the bulk of the holder went overboard while the legs and thumb screws ended up in the bottom of the boat.