Some high (ish) water pics. And my first time reporting to the MNR tips line

NAW

So this morning, I wake up at 6:30 and can't get back to sleep. Wife, son and dog are all sleeping. So I'm thinkin early morning hill ride on my bike. Nope, it's raining out.. OK, so I get a work out in, then do my taxes finally!!

This is weird, 9am, wife and boy are still sleeping...

So I wake them both up. Son is not acting right. Has a temp. Moments after taking his temp, he decides its a good time to projectile vomit all over daddy! A good 2 cups of matter flew from this kids face, and covered me.... This is the most puke I have ever seen come out of him..

Crappy start to the day.

But we decide to continue with our morning plans, which was to run up to Big Chute, and White's Falls to check out some high water. I should have gone up a week ago, I think I would have been more impressed. The water was no where near as high as I thought it would be.

I go to my first spot to check on the way up. A little place I like to go for bows. And this is what I see when I pull up..

1850aba9-2926-41ce-8bc6-6a0039ba4dda_zps

This place opens next weekend. And is a sanctuary up until that point.. And to top it off, they are within an illegal distance of a lamprey barrier.

c21942d8-8b2e-4c78-8f49-3ac0cb49ce25_zps

image_zps342a5984.jpg

So after a little pondering, I called MNR TIPS for the first time. The woman on the hotline took my info. 15 minutes later I get a call from a CO. He took more detailed info, and said he was going to make his way over.

I didn't say a word to the anglers.....

On to Whites Falls. I've never seen it this high before.

image_zpsa3bc6b38.jpg

image_zps50ecb15f.jpg

image_zps14b9eb10.jpg

image_zps6471af9f.jpg

Big Chute was not as spectacular as I was hoping...

image_zps6539a418.jpg

This boy was like this the entire way!!

image_zpsdb2d07ea.jpg

He only woke up for a few bumps on Big Chute Rd.

image_zps9f5780da.jpg

Aside from the vomiting, and rain, it was a good way to start of the long weekend.

Next weekend is openner!! Can't wait.

Edited by N.A.W

There was actually 2 guys fishing there.

When I walked over the bridge, with my cell phone out in the process of resting it on the ledge for a crisp sturdy shot. .... The second guy turned his back an walked away.

I called the MNR today for the first time too!

Was going to Terra greenhouses just north of Clapissons corner and decided to check out the pike grounds, aka Mountsberg Resevoir. There were 7 people fishing directly below the dam, all using jerkbaits and nailing pike one after the other. A couple guys were keeping them. Out on the main lake I saw 2 canoes, each with 2 people fishing.

Called up the MNR and told them everything, not sure if anything came of it but I am sick of people messing with our fisheries. Not to mention these same people are probably the ones who leave all of their garbage in the grass/bushes when there is a huge dumpster RIGHT BESIDE WHERE THEY PARK.

Stupid people, there is a LARGE sign near the path down to where they are fishing showing the species and when they are open

Are you sure they were fishing illegally? The way I read the regs, it's open downstream from the bridge on that river. Was the sign upstream from the bridge?

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/geospatialmaterial/241300.pdf

The CO I talked to said he didn't think the specific spot was a sanctuary.. However, as Wayne pointed out, they are fishing very near a no fishing sign... This spot is well marked on the shores (directly across from where they are fishing, and if my memory serves me right, directly beside them) And they passed at least one more sign on the way in. The CO seemed to know the area well. And said what they where doing was illegal because of the season, and the proximity to the lamprey barrier. So he was going to head that way to deal with it.

Thanks for your link and info. But at this point, I don't doubt my actions.

Edited by N.A.W

Thanks meegs! There was only two guys in town fishing further up. The rain must have been keeping them away.

I saw those two guys fishing today and just laughed when I drove by. Do people not realize that you're not going to catch anything when the water has about a half an inch of vis?

I called the MNR today for the first time too!

Was going to Terra greenhouses just north of Clapissons corner and decided to check out the pike grounds, aka Mountsberg Resevoir. There were 7 people fishing directly below the dam, all using jerkbaits and nailing pike one after the other. A couple guys were keeping them. Out on the main lake I saw 2 canoes, each with 2 people fishing.

Called up the MNR and told them everything, not sure if anything came of it but I am sick of people messing with our fisheries. Not to mention these same people are probably the ones who leave all of their garbage in the grass/bushes when there is a huge dumpster RIGHT BESIDE WHERE THEY PARK.

Stupid people, there is a LARGE sign near the path down to where they are fishing showing the species and when they are open

i often wonder if mountsberg has any employees or conservation authorities.they never seem to be around except to ticket the odd car for not paying the fee. it would be in their best interest to make sure the fishing is decent and not turn into a joke like vallens.

Sorry, N.A.W., for causing any confusion. It looks like you were not at the location that I had assumed. In any case, given that there were signs, you did the right thing by phoning and I commend you for it! :clapping:

Re the level at Big Chute---bear in mind that the river upstream is dam controlled for power generation, so they could be holding some back at this point.