Changes to fishing regulations for cisco (lake herring) in Lake Simcoe

TJQ

Look in the regulations at the baitfish page, they're in there, listed as lake herring.

And there it was.

I find it odd that they are asking for input. Aren't these decisions supposed to be based on some actual science? What the heck do I know about the herring population on Simcoe? It looks good to me, but so what? Maybe it isn't.

The cynic in me says they've already decided what they are going to do and this is just window dressing. On the other hand, since both options are similar (IF the regs are followed) they might actually take the public's input into consideration.

Ok so pickled is good.

I want some.

But I don't understand why herring should be funneled in with whitefish???

Just because lazy people cant take 2 minutes to figure out the simple difference between the two seems extremely unfair to those that abide by the rules and know the difference between different types of fish or even the hybrids within a particular species .

Personally I would love the opportunity to take home 2 herring along with a whitefish or 2.

Saltydawg makes a good point.

Creel surveys are probably showing wayyy reduced whitefish harvest. Less heat on MNR to quietly combine whitefish with cisco in option 2 to help reduce whitefish harvest. "Anglers want option 2!" is what MNR may be claiming soon to avoid this heat. With $$$ cuts, increased whitefish stocking ....even maintaining whitefish stocking, is tough to achieve. MNR likes ticketing dumb anglers so the argument of 'some anglers can't tell the difference' doesn't fly at all IMHO.

Keep in mind that MNR is only asking about cisco yet due to option 2 we know whitefish is also 'on the table'. MNR needs to be pressed on what it's position is on this species and what it's thinking about doing. Regardless of angler input on herring the MNR can still fiddle with whitefish.

I find it very surprising that people find herring just as good as whitefish. I've tried them from Nipissing on multiple occasions and...BLAHH!! Whitefish is much, much, much better imo

Our herring have world class taste.

They are to be smoked or pickled like said. Ya you can fry them up,salt pepper and some lime .

A limit of two is not worth the effort of firing up the smoker or pickling. I would just broil them with liquid smoke and lots of fresh ground pepper. Dry them right out.

Edited by Misfish

In my opinion, I would keep it closed for a couple more years for a couple reasons. First, I think it would really help the Trout, Walleye etc. populations grow in size and number because of more bait available for them, but also why take the chance? I mean yes, I caught more of them this year then before, but it is better safe than sorry IMO. I think a couple more years of stocking and no fishing would also really help the reproduction of them naturally and create a buffer so if it for some reason doesn't work with limited harvest they aren't a completely collapsed population. Anybody else agree? :P

I find it odd that they are asking for input. Aren't these decisions supposed to be based on some actual science? What the heck do I know about the herring population on Simcoe? It looks good to me, but so what? Maybe it isn't.

I thought the same thing,

I guess times are tough at the MNR, it's just a computer literate kid sitting at a computer, making online surveys

with such a conservative proposed ciscoe limit, why even bother making the change?

Forgive my ignorance on ciscoe,

Being dutch I have grown up eating herring, mainly pickled, from a jar here in canada vs. road side cart stands in holland. Are the fish I am used to eating in jars etc the same fish as the fish being proposed here?

G

One man's delicacy is another's staple is another's cat food.

I'm not going to suggest what someone should, or shouldn't, enjoy eating. My only concern is the overall health of the fishery.

The MNR's numbers support opening up the fishery but in a limited trial. It's not just that the numbers are up but that the overall lake health is much improved from the 70's-80's.

Compare the cisco limits, if any, on other bodies of water. They are very generous, and so were Simcoe's back in the day, but the water quality went downhill and most of the lake's fish numbers dropped.

There must be a way to figure this out.

I have caught so many herring over the past 7-8 years it becomes annoying at times simply because I have to put back fish that I am sure will die.

The worst of them are in the11-14 inch range??

To big for walleye and only the huge lakers go after herring that big.

Pike could but I don't think that pike would be a considerable factor?

Therefore a slot size might be in order combined with a daily catch limit along with a possession limit that allows knowledgeable anglers to expand their options ?

Those that don't know the difference.

Screw them hit them with fines.

Fines would help generate money for the MNR as well as keep the clowns off the lakes.

Just my humble /biased opinion.

Don.

• 4 weeks later...