Nipissing chip (Navionics)

Roy

I've been gung-ho for the past year to purchase the Navionics Nipissing chip as soon as it became available. Well here it is nearing the Lakair G2G and I'm wondering whether I should get it or not. I only only make it up there once or twice a year and the CCD in me tells me to pass on it. Do many of you folks going up there have it? I have a super, hard copy map but that just isn't the same.

Thoughts?

Im heading up to Nippissing this coming week and contemplated the same thing for the longest time. But does one week at the lake justify the cash shelled out for the luxury of the GPS map. I dont think so. IMO. Weve all fished without them for years and years, and Ive had some VERY productive trips without a GPS over the years. Im savin my money on this one lol. :thumbsup_anim:

CCD? Conservative Canadian Diplomat? They are a great tool, er, I don`t have one and never used one. I don`t think owning one will guarantee you will save your lower unit. Caution and a good map can do that.

They do make it easier to get back to the same spot on open water?

What's another few hundred bucks? It will probably result in less time spent searching for fish holding structure...

Once you use the hydrographic charts in conjunction with a GPS, there is no other real substitute.

Tony

I understand that Tony, I have most of Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes on mine as it is. I use the Larry a lot nowadays.......it's just that for the little I'll be using the Nip chip... although I know that there a whack of other lakes on that chip.

I think I'd pass it on it as well Roy. Two trips a year just isn't enough of a justification in my mind. Besides, you are not going blind, you know the area and have a hardcopy. You can still mark 'spots', trails on your gps just no luxury of an electronic map.

Edited by Raf

I wouldnt bother

if you can read a map and know lat and long and your fish finder shows depth no problemo find any structure anywhere

load the lat and long into gps and it will drop you on the spot

its easy

Peter

Guest lundboy

I have the Hotmaps Premium Canada 2007 Edition which covers Nipissing, It also covers all of Simcoe, Trent right up to the great lakes exits. 10,000 lakes in Canada in all most in QUE and ONT. I was surprised because it covers Poudash in Bancroft, and I think it does have the French at least part of it (I'll verifiy that tonight when I get home).

$194+ tax at LeBaron (had club card saved 7%), $149 at Cabellas +shipping, exchange, taxes and duty (worked out to be only $8 more to buy it local at Lebaron).

I also have XL3901 which has slightly more detail topo wise I've noticed, but doesn't cover all of Canada and doesn't cover non-navigable waters like Nipissing.

Bottom line, If you got the money go for it, I'm sure you can use it in at least one other lake (outside of a Great Lake) in Canada at some time.

Edited by lundboy

Guest lundboy
I think you should buy it Roy, and then burn us a copy ;)

Joey

Joey FYI (I know your Joking :angel: ).... Navionics map chips can't be copied unless you have a flash memory chip copy machine. They have hidden proprietary formatted sectors. If you try you can damage the data (on the older MMC chips not the newer SD chips which are write protected) and they won't replace it) To protect my investment (my personal backup copy) I've tried Linux, Mac OSX, Windows... you can copy the map data, but without the hidden sectors your unit will not see the maps. Soooo don't risk it and or waste your time. They are not that expensive considering how much your hobby costs already.

Edited by lundboy

The Hotmaps chip covers most of Nipissing. Unfortunately, it does not cover the West Arm west of the bridge at Lakair. The chip does not cover the French River.

That being said, I still have a lot of Nipissing waypoints saved, and I know I'll enjoy having it this summer.

Roy, do what feels right. Don't let others bring you down with their rational talk and logic. When you're old(er) and gray(er), do you really think you are going to look back and say, "Darn it, I wish I still had that $200 that I spent on that Navionics chip"? I think not!

Andy

P.S. I might require a little support in return, say, the next time I tell my wife I need a new rod and reel combo.

I waited a whole day figuring someone else would say it but couldn't take it any longer.

I figure the chip is a great investment even if you only use it a few times a year. It sure helps figuring out the lake and possible hotspots that much easier.