Looking for input on a canoe trailer.

leaf4

Hey all, in the coming months I'm more than likely going to be looking into a newer car, along with that I'm not going to want to car top my scanoe so I'm going to want to do a trailer setup for it.

Does anyone have any experience in either the fabrication or know of a suitable reasonably priced trailer?

I've found one online for a steal at $400, but it's only available in the states and doesn't ship to PO boxes unfortunately.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-boat-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-5002.html

I have welding experience and can do the fabrication but to be honest I'd probably spend more than $400 on the materials to put one together which is a shame.

Thanks for any input anyone has to give it will be much appreciated, Lucas

Edited by leaf4

PS) I still cannot do a quote here and cut/paste takes away all of the spaces in my reply. But anyways I agree 100% with what chris.brock wrote.

I have been broken down on major highways several times with blown bearings, and I am here to tell you, NOTHING screws up a fishing trip like finding places to get a trailer fixed alongside the 400/401/etc..............

Doug

I wouldn't go the trailer route for a scanoe either, but if your set on it, there is a harbour freight just across the border near the walden galleria mall. You could probably ship to store for pickup if they dont have it in stock. You could also send it to US adress in niagra falls. I have gear delivered there from time to time for $5 a package!

thanks for the input everyone! It won't be a decision I make anytime soon, but I will mull over everyone's advice. the reason I'm looking into it is more or less I'll more than likely get a sedan (looking at elantras) and currently owning a protege 5 the car topping is easy with the space available with it being a hatchback and I'm a bit unsure of how I will like driving with it on a sedan with a small roof surface. thanks again everyone appreciate the advice

Lucas

thanks for the input everyone! It won't be a decision I make anytime soon, but I will mull over everyone's advice. the reason I'm looking into it is more or less I'll more than likely get a sedan (looking at elantras) and currently owning a protege 5 the car topping is easy with the space available with it being a hatchback and I'm a bit unsure of how I will like driving with it on a sedan with a small roof surface. thanks again everyone appreciate the advice

Lucas

Install a roof rack.

Install a roof rack.

Yeah I have one for my protege 5 but don't use it for anything other than my snowboard, the beam on my canoe is 48" so it's actually about as wide as the roof is, but the rails that the rack clips into come in a couple inches each side so it actually goes over my racks and such is the way with most unless I was to go about adding extensions myself or get a Thule that extends a bit past each side but then I'm probably looking at spending $400 on the roof racks lol, even buying used those things hold their value

PS) I still cannot do a quote here and cut/paste takes away all of the spaces in my reply. But anyways I agree 100% with what chris.brock wrote.

I have been broken down on major highways several times with blown bearings, and I am here to tell you, NOTHING screws up a fishing trip like finding places to get a trailer fixed alongside the 400/401/etc..............

Doug

Bahahaha. Doug, that's called lack of maintenance. I know you.

back to Fisherman, guilty as charged.

Although the time that BOTH wheel bearings blew out, and molten bits of bearings shredded BOTH my tires, I had loaned my big boat to Marcel for the open water season. Seems he was fond of launching "Watchdog" and leaving the trailer in the water at the ramp while he got rigged etc........

And Marcel is harder on equipment than I will ever be.................

The fact remains that a trailer is another thing that can go wrong, especially if a person is technically inept like me.............

Doug

That was also a concern, if my memory serves me, my scanoe weighs around 110lbs. So during the loading unloading process in certain situations I may be a little weary of the well being of my paint LOL, that box trailer with the brackets is a possibility too.

Just wondering what sort of length I should look for if going that route being that my scanoe is 16'. that was my main reason for looking at that one from harbor freight, I like the idea of it being a more fixed placement on the trailer

Lucas

If you install a receiver hitch for it, you could rig up some sort of support that attached to the hitch what you wanted to add the canoe.

A lot of roof racks do not provide enough clearance for canoes. I took some 4" PVC and wrapped in outdoor carpet. They are now about 8" in diameter and prevent the canoe from contacting the roof.

you wont even have to rig anything up. theres a product just like johnbacon was describing.

http://www.extendatruck.com

I had something very similar made for my old shortbox Toyota pickup back in the day.

Nice thing about mine the T-bar swiveled and was locked in place with a pin. With the pin pulled loading was a breeze. Just place the nose of the canoe into the T-bar grab the other end of the canoe and swivel it around to the truck cab, foam blocks in place already. Reverse process for unloading.

A local welding shop made mine for around $60 and it was 10x more heavy duty than anything commercially available.