Monster Trout trouble

HTHM

there is a very big difference between intentional and unintentional poaching, there are levels of severity to it...what this guy did is a single drop of water in a much larger bucket of more severe issues/offenders

you can't throw the proverbial book at every single offence, in turn wasting precious little resources.....fry the big fish, not the little fish, so to say

I wish I raised a way bigger stink when I reported out of season poaching on spawning walleye at the London street dam...literally 10 minute walking distance away from the MNR office in Peterborough...nobody showed up in the 3 hours I stood around waiting and hoping.....I called it in EVERY spring and nothing ever happened......but a silly record contender, call the press and get your pitchin arm ready for that heavy book eh

There wouldn't have been any poaching if he didn't get caught.

Some people in this thread are more likely to poach then others. Can you pick out who they are?

I can't think of any. Care to post your list?

....and Glen your insinuation that there are poachers who've responded to this thread amongst us is disturbing. A high horse you must ride on....this place is going down hill it seems. The "holier than thou" attitudes at times around here really sucks. A real shame......let winternet end!!! Some guys need to get off the couch and get some fresh air.

Edited by ctdd2006

This type of violation usually involves taking or possessing more than the legal limit of fish or wildlife. If the daily limit of walleye is six per angler, but an angler catches and keeps more than six in one day, that angler is poaching.

Poaching is a serious and costly crime. It robs ethical anglers and hunters of game and fish, and robs all citizens of our valuable wildlife resources. Poaching can be reduced if concerned citizens report the signs of suspected illegal activity.

If you see or suspect someone of poaching or otherwise abusing a natural resource, please call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time to report a violation.

This type of violation usually involves taking or possessing more than the legal limit of fish or wildlife. If the daily limit of walleye is six per angler, but an angler catches and keeps more than six in one day, that angler is poaching.

Poaching is a serious and costly crime. It robs ethical anglers and hunters of game and fish, and robs all citizens of our valuable wildlife resources. Poaching can be reduced if concerned citizens report the signs of suspected illegal activity.

If you see or suspect someone of poaching or otherwise abusing a natural resource, please call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time to report a violation.

I agree with this 100%. Who here wouldn't? But I still want to see your list of poachers that you claim replied to this thread.

Glen,

I once foul hooked a Walleye and without even thinking about it threw it on the stringer (many years before catch and release). Read the regs closely one night and realized I'm a poacher. Should I turn myself in? Glen I seriously would like your opinion on that situation. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Am I a poacher?

I once had a power failure at the cottage and opened the freezer door and all my fish went bad, really bad. I allowed game fish to spoil, should I turn myself in? Should I have foreseen that a power failure was a possibility that would result in my game fish spoiling, am I a poacher?

Left a Walleye in the live well overnight once and wasn't edible the next day. I allowed the game fish to spoil. Am I a poacher?

When I got home once this summer and when empting the live well realized one of 20 perch was still alive. I am guilty of transporting live fish, am I a poacher?

I would appreciate a response and your opinion.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The difference in this situation is ...the guy wasnt ignorant of the law...he was already checked by MNR once...he purposely gave away the fish when he caught the big one...that is an admission he knew he was trying to pull a fast one for glory..why didnt he give away the big fish? The word poacher is that ...just a word thata has different degrees of interpretation...maybe the law needs to state ..first ...second and third degree poaching with a minimal charge of fishslaughter ?

The difference in this situation is ...the guy wasnt ignorant of the law...he was already checked by MNR once...he purposely gave away the fish when he caught the big one...that is an admission he knew he was trying to pull a fast one for glory..why didnt he give away the big fish? The word poacher is that ...just a word thata has different degrees of interpretation...maybe the law needs to state ..first ...second and third degree poaching with a minimal charge of fishslaughter ?

...maybe? We can argue ethics all day...I doubt this "grey" case is evidence of a serial poacher deserving of the condemnation he is getting from some but more likely a case of an angler caught in the moment and making a poor judgement call and deserving of a slap on the wrist. Adrenaline and excitement took over.....rememember the rush the first time you saw that "pin up" girl twirling on the brass pole....what woulda happened if you caught her..lol!? Come on. It's a fiftyy pound laker...He effed up! He knows it. He owns it. He's paying for it. Calling out others as poachers because they can empathetically understand where he may have let his emotions screw with his proper judgement is wrong in my ethical sense. Sorry Glen. I'm not a poacher. Very far from it. If the neighbour doesn't ask for a feed as he sees me pulling out of my driveway I rarely bring a fish home......

...maybe? We can argue ethics all day...I doubt this "grey" case is evidence of a serial poacher deserving of the condemnation he is getting from some but more likely a case of an angler caught in the moment and making a poor judgement call and deserving of a slap on the wrist. Adrenaline and excitement took over.....rememember the rush the first time you saw that "pin up" girl twirling on the brass pole....what woulda happened if you caught her..lol!? Come on. It's a fiftyy pound laker...He effed up! He knows it. He owns it. He's paying for it. Calling out others as poachers because they can empathetically understand where he may have let his emotions screw with his proper judgement is wrong in my ethical sense. Sorry Glen. I'm not a poacher. Very far from it. If the neighbour doesn't ask for a feed as he sees me pulling out of my driveway I rarely bring a fish home......and don't call me a poacher....or a likely poacher.

Wasn't a mistake on dude's part, he knew full well what he was doing and considering he already had a visit, well that's just a dumb risk taker. My guess is, his lodge and customers will be receiving extra attention on the water from Minnie DNR from this day forward.

While people may flock to his lodge, sorry I'd be skipping that place precisely because of this act. Selfish.

Edited by woodenboater

Old Ironmaker. Thank you for your questions.

In your examples the CO could have charged you as you did brake the law. It is up to the enforcers of the law to decide what to do not me.

The CO cant tell if your one fish over limit is by mistake or on purpose. The law is the same either way.

IMO.

People who are more concerned about others poaching would be less likely to poach themselves.

Guys it's not as black and white as you say. The day the perch was found alive I followed the ambulance with boat in tow to the hospital when the guy I was fishing with had a heart attach talking the boat out. No judge would have found me guilty. It's call extenuating circumstances. Of you think I was going to go through all the fish and bleed them while my friend lay there dyeing is absolutely insane.

There are very many defences when being caught doing something illegal from I didn't do it to I did it but was insane at the time, and everything in between.

Interpretation of the law is why we have as many lawyers as criminals. The crown simply will not bring charges and tie up valuable court time for killing 1 Walleye and letting it spoil, no way. Not even CO's rush to places out and out poaching is happening a few blocks from their office as pointed out earlier in this discussion. Is an action like that chargeable? Contributing to poaching. There are just too many fish to fry in this world today for the justice system to take something like keeping an extra fish. It's fish not human smuggling for goodness sakes. Sometimes I think guys here need to get out in the world and see what's going on. This guy is getting a $300.00 fine and that's it. No big deal, if he wants to spend money and bring this to court the crown simply will not go forward with their resources for a fishing offence and drop the charge.