Spinning reels on sale

BucktownAngler

just wanted some opinions on the some of spinning reels in the BPS spring classic sale. what do you think would be the best bang for the buck? i use baitcasters 80% of the time, so this will be pretty much a 1 trick pony reel.

some seem to be sale prices, and some are regular prices.

Johnny Morris CarbonLite - $59.97

BPS Pro Qualifier - $69.97

Abu Garcia Orra S - $69.97

Rapala R Type - $79.97

Shimano Sedona - $68.99

Team Daiwa Legalis - $64.99

I have the Rapala R Type matched with a Rapala R-Type 7'1" rod... love the reel and the combo.. Very happy with it.. I also have the Rapala Shift paired up with the Rapala Shift 7'4" rod... Great combos, can fish them all day... very light.

I paid more than they're selling them there... I'm thinking of exchanging an old Quatum Hypercast and getting the additional 15.00 off...

Thinking of getting another one to pair it up with my St Croix rod..

I'd probably pass on them all. Although, you might consider the ever popular Pflueger President for $55 or the Supreme MGX for $100. Not really that great a deal though.

Have you checked other stores, like Le Baron? I thought they usually had a decent sale on at around this time as well.

Edited by FishLogic

Highly against the rapala r-type. Had 2 of the smallest size for my ice fishing rods and both slipped the catch for when you reel and the bail turns over. Tried to fix it but the part actually removed some of the plastic making it impossible to repair.

I'd like to say it was a fluke but it happened to two of them. Both ice fishing.

I have both the Johnny Morris and last version of BPS Pro Qualifier and several reels for both model

The pro qualifier came with extra metal spools which was a good deal but I found in about half the spools the drag was really sticky, so much so that I took them to Aikmans and got the washers all replaced with what he had to fit them and they seem fine now.

I bought 3 of the JM spinning and 3 of the baitcast last year at the spring sale. All spinning were the 750 size and they have performed flawlessly. Used them for steelhead in the spring, light lining for carp on waggler floats and they handled the load fine. I normally have run Daiwa SS tourney 700/1300 and didn't miss them at all. I don't run anything heavier than 10 braid on these

The baitcasters are still in the box so no review on them

I see the JM spinning had a 2500 size reel and that would be my only thought on these. The 750 size was on the small size for a general purpose reel.

Seems like everyone will have their preference.. I have 2 Pflueger Presidents and they are great too.. These are back-ups now...

Guessing the best reels would be the one that fits you and your budget and the one that make you feel good about using it..

Tiz

I have a 1000 Sedona and it's an OK reel. The Sedona would probably be my choice out of that list.

I have a 2000 sized Daiwa Legalis and I just don't like the reel at all. I bought it purely for ice fishing lake trout but it doesn't see much use. I like to have 3-4 rods pre-rigged when I ice fish for lakers and it would've been on my 4th rod. The retrieve is smooth but I'm not a fan of the drag (At least for bigger fish) or the line lay on the spool. Given the choice again, I would just save up and buy a higher model Shimano or Daiwa reel (like a Saros or a Procyon or similar).

Don't own any BPS spinning reels so can't comment on those but a cousin of mine is an avid angler and a long time supporter of Shimano but bought an ABU Orra S a couple of seasons ago and liked it so much he bought another one last season.

I myself really like my Pfleuger President, President XT and Supreme MGX. Value for dollar my money is on the President or President XT.

As mentioned scan Lebarons for prices as they are almost always a few bucks cheaper and either buy there or use the price match angle if you purchase at BPS. Good luck.

just wanted some opinions on the some of spinning reels in the BPS spring classic sale. what do you think would be the best bang for the buck? i use baitcasters 80% of the time, so this will be pretty much a 1 trick pony reel.

some seem to be sale prices, and some are regular prices.

Johnny Morris CarbonLite - $59.97

BPS Pro Qualifier - $69.97

Abu Garcia Orra S - $69.97

Rapala R Type - $79.97

Shimano Sedona - $68.99

Team Daiwa Legalis - $64.99

That Sedona isn't on sale…68.99 is regular no matter where you go. But the better reel on that list I'll agree

I own quite a few reels and have owned dozens of them. For the most part they are Shimanos, and I like them very much. So my bias would be towards the Shimano choice - but I have no personal experience with the others, and I would be trying out the demo models to see how they felt in my hands. Last year when I wanted another ultralight reel, I did NOT like the Shimano models that I tried, and bought a Pflueger Trion GX-7. So far, I like it and it has performed well.

Anyways, the take-away here is take them all for a test drive in the store and I am guessing you will have a favourite.

Doug