Carp Ground Bait Recipe

Fang

Over the last 2 summers I have been carpin and must give a big thanks to an older European gentleman I met a couple summers ago at bronte harbour. It was the first time I saw a real rod pod and bite alarms. I was fishing with a slip sinker and corn and like CCMT holding the rod in my hand or at least resting it close by. Never did get his name and have not run into him since. Would sure like to get a chance to fish with him again.

In Uncle Buck's report he mentioned a secret bait but it is no way mine. The older gent set me up with a wire feeder and gave me a hair rig and tons of information to go on. Here's his ground bait recipe that he got a kick out of sharing with me. I've modified it just a bit

All the ingredients you'll find at the Bulk Barn and use their metal scoops to measure out the portions

12 grain cereal 3 parts (3 grain works well too)

Seminola flour 1 part (Potato Flour also works well but it gets sticky)

Bread Crumbs 1 part

Corn Sugar 1 part

Brown Flax seed 1-2 parts (this is the secret ingredient)

Millet 1 part

Koolaid flavor 1 pack ( I like strawberry, cherry)

and I add 1 part Hemp seed (optional as this is expensive)

You can add just about any other flavouring you want too.

If you buy a full scoop this mix will cost you around $8 and should last many trips. 24 hours before fishing, mix 2 cups of ground bait with just enough water to make it like slightly wet playdough. The sugars will start to break down like cereal that has been in the bowl too long. A wet mix works well in a wire feeder. If you want to make it dry you can make small balls and chuck them out to chum the area.

It has worked very well for me, Enjoy

CARP.jpg

Edited by Fang

Jeeeeezzz Fang. Looking at the ingredients in the recipe only serves to reinforce my theory that eating health foods will only make you fat and ugly.

Thanks for sharing though.

I generally boil about 4 liters of maize for about 15 minutes, with 2 packets of strawberry Koolaid & a 100 ml. bottle of anise extract. Then I pour the whole mess into a 20 liter bucket, add about another 6 liters of boiling water (it soaks up a lotta water) and leave it sit and soak a day or 2. I then pour off the 'juice' and fill a couple containers with the slightly softened maize. I then mix (dry) in a seperate bucket, (5 gallon) equal amounts of 'chicken scratch,' coarse birdseed, pig chop, dry molasses, linseed oil meal, and calf starter. Transfer back & forth between 2 buckets to make sure it's well mixed. When you get to your fishing hole, transfer enough to ALMOST fill a smaller container, (5 liter about perfect) then start adding just enough breadcrumbs & 'corn juice,' as you mix thoroughly by hand to make it 'bind' together. When you can pack a ball of this groundbait that will stay on a feeder, toss on in the water where you can see it, it SHOULD 'melt' into a little mound in about 3 - 5 minutes. If it doesn't, add a bit more dry molasses. It should stay put on a feeder when it hits the water, and sinks to bottom, THEN 'melt' off into a l'il mound of 'carp yummies,' which Mr. Carp will suck up with your hair rig & maize!! This is ONLY a start, there are literally dozens of different variations of 'secret' ingredients, which most will work at one time or another. The hard corn (maize) is best because even the gobies won't touch it, but will quickly strip your hook of soft baits in seconds! Plus . . . it costs under $10.00 at most farm animal feed co-ops . . . . for 40 kilos! For this you do require a 'bait needle' & a 'hair rig.'

Here is an excellent Canadian carping site . . . http://www.geocities.com/carpsava/content.html

Fang,

Thanks again for this recipe...I went out today with my 5 year old to get all the ingredients for this mixture. I was buying 1 scoop of this...2 scoops of that etc....those scoops were pretty small right? I got it home, and began mixing it up and HOLY COW....I have enough for a few years I think....LOL. Guess I'll be using it to chum the area as well as for the wire feeder I bought. I'll mix some up and hopefully get out later today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out.

Cliff