one rod...one line...is it possible

mcdougy

I want to re spool my set up..It has/had powerpro on it for the last 2 years. I noticed it breaking a lot more and fraying easier at the end of last year. I have a 7' compre 6-12lb line 5/8 lure medium power fast action rod with 3000 stradic fj. I have kids so we fish whatever is swimming. mainly smallmouth casting and they like to troll for pike/walleye. With all the options on line, Im not sure which one is best suited to do most things ok. I'm stuck between mono or braid. If I run braid should I run a bit of mono leader while trolling for a little stretch? I do have a heavy setup with a okuma coldwater and a TDR trolling pole but it is set up with leadcore for now. On a side note: was the cold water recalled? thanks for the input MM

If your banging structure while trolling use a 2-4 foot leader of mono or flouro in 20-25 lb test... Otherwise you'll get cut off with braid...

My trolling rod for cranks has 10lb PP to achieve max depths and a 3 foot 20lb mono leader... I never break off... Maybe 1-2 times a year a musky cuts me on the strike but it's very rare... I land about 20 musky up to and over 50" a year on my walleye rod...

My trolling rod for spinners has 30lb PP because your weight and speed dictate depth... This is also my casting rod for bass and pike...

Lots of life left in that line, just reverse it.

Bill it just seemed to breaking too often to trust it anymore!

If your banging structure while trolling use a 2-4 foot leader of mono or flouro in 20-25 lb test... Otherwise you'll get cut off with braid...

My trolling rod for cranks has 10lb PP to achieve max depths and a 3 foot 20lb mono leader... I never break off... Maybe 1-2 times a year a musky cuts me on the strike but it's very rare... I land about 20 musky up to and over 50" a year on my walleye rod...

My trolling rod for spinners has 30lb PP because your weight and speed dictate depth... This is also my casting rod for bass and pike...

Thanks Mike, since I want to re spool, it sounds like your a PP fan, have you tried 832? I think I have a spool of it I bought on sale at CT last year, but if its not as good I wont bother and keep it for a back up in case of emergency. These boys of mine are pretty critical if dad loses a fish or has to stop the boat to re-tie.

Bill it just seemed to breaking too often to trust it anymore!

Thanks Mike, since I want to re spool, it sounds like your a PP fan, have you tried 832? I think I have a spool of it I bought on sale at CT last year, but if its not as good I wont bother and keep it for a back up in case of emergency. These boys of mine are pretty critical if dad loses a fish or has to stop the boat to re-tie.

I personally tried 832....

I hated it... I found it too soft and constantly was having the braid wrap and tangle on my tip guide...

So far the best line I've used is power pro...

I have never had a problem with 8-30 moss green power pro as mentioned in another thread.3 plus years on one.You could not break that with your hand.Unless the line has frayed.That's a different story.A leader of bigger line strength woudn't hurt,but I only used a leader of flour when jigging for lake trout or whities..

I use original power pro on baitcasters and a couple spinning rigs that I use for trolling, and nanofil on all my other spinning rigs. I use original seauguar fluoro as leader on almost all of them. Some of my power pro has probably 8 seasons on it. I just reverse it! Works well for me!

Edited by porkpie

You might want to check your top guide with a q-tip...that may be why your line gets frayed...

good advice, I checked them all and they don't have any damage. I think it may be just time and paranoia. I did loose a few of my favourite lures and Im thinking for around $20 i may be able to help that a bit.

Has anyone tried the PP ZERO IMPACT, i'm sure it is another marketing tool but I did come across a video showing regular pp 50lb breaking a knot at 40lbs and the zero impact in 50 lbs breaking the same style knot at 65lbs. May be the difference at one critical moment? It is about $5 more than regular PP at lebaron. I don't see it on the BPS site. Anyone tried it yet as to knowing what it casts like? I think the main line is like regular PP and not SS8 hopefully?

Maybe best alround spinning line for me is Berkley Crystal.

Braid made for spinning reels.

Supposed to be harder to see underwater. 10 lb.

Add a steel leader and you're set for pike too.

BaddaBoom

BINGO!!! Most of my set ups whether spinners or casters wear Crystal. Awesome all around line and haven't found anything in that price point that even comes close to consistent performance.