Going to head down to Myrtle Beach for a bit

Big Cliff

I have had enough of this winter already, it's just too cold and too much snow for this old man. Even with a good snow blower I am finding it really hard to keep things done up around here.

A couple of winters ago Sue and I spent a month in North Myrtle Beach and I spent my days pier fishing at Apache Pier and had a wonderful time. I'm thinking that might be a plan for the last couple of weeks of Jan. Perhaps even into Feb..

Last time we stayed there we were able to rent a nice 1 bedroom condo for $750.00 for the month, that unit isn't available this year so I was wondering if anyone has some places they can suggest.

Needs to be clean, quiet, doesn't need to be on the beach, I'd consider a nice trailer is a trailer park if one was available. I have done quite a bit of looking on line and there are a lot of places available but sometimes the write ups don't always give you a really good picture of what you are really getting, nothing beats first hand experience. I am a little nervious about commiting to something for a couple of weeks then finding out it isn't as described or that I had assumed something that isn't.

Any help would be most appreciated.

I hear ya Cliff!!!

We have already had more -40 days this winter than the last two winters combined.

Luckily I have already secured accommodations for my get away.

I'm heading down to St. Pets FLA for 6 weeks in mid February. :clapping:

I have buddies that live in Tampa so will be having a good old time.

My one buddy is a guide and is going to supply me with a small flats skiff to use during my trip. :good: :good:

We are probably going to head down to the keys and chase bones for a few days too.

Got 4 Tampa Bay Lightning games to go to while I'm there as well.

I did a lot of searching on the web for a place as well.

Here are some of the sites I used in my search.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/south-carolina/myrtle-beach

http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/south-carolina/myrtle-beach.html

http://www.flipkey.com/myrtle-beach-vacation-rentals/g54359/

I ended up finding my rental on Craigs List.

They also had the listing on one of the above vacation rental sites so I wasn't worried about it being a scam. ;)

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/vac/

Sounds like you have a really good trip worked out there :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the sites, there are some really good deals to be had from the looks of it! I spent about 4 hours already trying to pick the "perfect" spot but it is a little hard when you have to make a commitment for something you haven't seen yet.

Cliff, you said trailer park type of vac. is open? Call my dad as they have the 5th wheel and go on trips a few times a year so he can point you in the right direction (possibly). PM me if you cannot find the number.

Geoff

Big Cliff, the winters in St. Pete's area are getting cooler every year. It hit and miss really like everything else south in January, February . I would check out further south towards Port Charlotte. Rates are better as well. You are pretty much guaranteed good weather in the Keys at that time of the winter however rental rates are nut down there without long term planning, up to $300.00 or more a night for a small cabin, great fishing though, have you ever been? It's different now with all the McDonald's and Wal-Mart's, they've spoiled the Conch Republic, too tourist trap for me now.

My cousin has a rental home, 2 bedroom and pool in Port Charlotte but are booked throughout the winter he said. Maybe open for a week but not 3, I'll check if you wish. PM me with your budget and I'll call him up, he's in Hamilton and I can attest it's a nice clean home with good value and fantastic fishing. We had a place in Charlotte Harbor but sold just before the real estate crash, great fishing, everywhere there is good fishing and everything you would ever want to catch.

Cliff, you said trailer park type of vac. is open? Call my dad as they have the 5th wheel and go on trips a few times a year so he can point you in the right direction (possibly). PM me if you cannot find the number.

Geoff

Geoff, email it to me would you [email protected]

Just think of all the work your going to havewhen you get back from 2-3 weeks away! No thanks! I'm sick of snow removal, but I dont mind the cold.

S.

Yesterday I spent two hours out there with the snow blower, no sooner had I finished than the snow plow came by and it took me another 1/2 an hour to clean that mess up (my driveway is 55' wide at the road).

I just got in the house and within 1/2 an hour you couldn't see the road from the house because of the snow and blowing snow. With that wind last night and this morning the drive way and path ways are drifted in solid. At 47, this sort of thing was an adventure, at 57 it was an inconvenience, at 67 it isn't any fun at all.

Big Cliff, the winters in St. Pete's area are getting cooler every year. It hit and miss really like everything else south in January, February . I would check out further south towards Port Charlotte. Rates are better as well. You are pretty much guaranteed good weather in the Keys at that time of the winter however rental rates are nut down there without long term planning, up to $300.00 or more a night for a small cabin, great fishing though, have you ever been? It's different now with all the McDonald's and Wal-Mart's, they've spoiled the Conch Republic, too tourist trap for me now.

My cousin has a rental home, 2 bedroom and pool in Port Charlotte but are booked throughout the winter he said. Maybe open for a week but not 3, I'll check if you wish. PM me with your budget and I'll call him up, he's in Hamilton and I can attest it's a nice clean home with good value and fantastic fishing. We had a place in Charlotte Harbor but sold just before the real estate crash, great fishing, everywhere there is good fishing and everything you would ever want to catch.

I have been down to the Keys, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs, loved them all but they would add a lot of extra hours of driving to our trip so I figured Myrtle Beach is closer, rates should be good this time of year and the likelyhood of seeing any snow is slim. I am not really worried about being able to sit out on the beach or anything, so it doesn't have to be tropical, I just want to get away from all this snow and bitter cold. I have found a few places in the Myrtle Beach area for about $300.00 a week (Best Western is one of them) not exactly a condo but quite adiquit for Sue and I, even includes breakfast.