best bang for buck ice rod.

johnnybo1

Hello community,

Looking to get a new ice fishing rod for perch/walleye, Any opinions ? I would like to keep it under 50 bucks if possible and If you think i should spend the extra money on a rod as I would like it to last at least 3-4 seasons please let me know.

Also I have a cheap reel from crappy tire i would like to throw on the rod and eventually when it breaks i will upgrade. If you guys have any suggestions on reels please let me know.

Thanks

Johnnyboy

CTC tends to put the Berkley Lighting rods on sale from time to time (2 full combo's in the pack) and they have been decent for me for walleye, perch and crappie. One's a UL and the other is a light. The reels are NOT that great but 2 rod's for $39.99 (reg. price and they tend to go to $29.99 or less)

I love the St.Croix ice rods. Oversized guides, nice handles, no complaints.

Yea I was looking at the st.croix what one do you recommend, premier or legend?

Also i was looking at the meat stick from CLAM any thoughts on that one?

jay27

what does HT mean?

GBW

what does CTC stand for? I actually have a Berkley lighting rod but its not for ice fishing, its a UL rod I use strictly for spring crappie and pan fishing.

50 bucks????? I've had the same 12 dollar frabil for years and years now and its caught more eyes and perch than you could shake an icicle at!

That being said, if you insist on getting a blank that really feels nice and functions well the St. Croix's are certainly the nicest I've ever seen.

I think you will be able to get an amazing ice rid for $50...

Seen this rod at CT last week. I was actually going to post on here to see if anyone had any reviews. It felt like a nice solid combo.

Any try this combo before???

image_zps525aa9f1.jpg

Nick, I have yet to use it but when I toyed with it at the store and read some online reviews (after I held it) I decided not to get it for some reason. It would have been free for me due to gift cards but there was something about it in my hands and at that price point that made my gut tell me no. It was basically a free combo for me yet I still put it back... Maybe it was the reel, I forget now but if I do pick another up I will take note as to why I didn't like it. It was just a GUT feeling is all I can say right now.

There was 4 of those abus out on the ice in our group on saturday. Look like decent rods but the fella that was using them sure took a lashing lol. Everytime his or his sons rods fired he had a hard time telling where to go haha, he missed a few good bites. If you were jigging id see no issue, or in a hut. But out in the white stuff those rods are VERY hard to see

Whoever thought a white ice fishing rod was a good idea needs to give their head a shake. At least use some crazy fluorescent wraps or something.

i bet they sell good though. Virtually invisible on the ice, but stick out like a sore thumb in the store lol. Visual appeal i suppose. Last year my son wanted a new spinning setup for his birthday and thats the same pattern on the rod he chose. One of those ianconelli rods. Nice rod though for the price. Reel was crap though. And its a better walleye rod than it is for bass lol. IMG_0307.jpg. Now back on topic lol.

Best ice rod I have ever seen for Hi-Vis use was a neon green one, and the rod was very good too! Too bad I forget what the name was. I think it was a Smitty's or some other not so common name staring with an S that Cable's and a FEW other places sold.

Dude, you sure that's not an Ugly stick? Remember the way those things used to bend? LOL!!!!!

hahaha true! This rod has some good power believe it or not. Frig i still have my ugly stick from when i was a kid, a 2lb walleye will fold it right over lol. Geez though those rods would be 27-28 years old now Edited by manitoubass2

That's the problem with the Abu combo's that are out there right now (for me!). The rod is close to or worth the 'sale' price but the reel that they pair with it is rated for the rod BUT the quality is Substandard at that price point. I would rather ANY old Mitchell on a $20 rod that does what it says it's going to do and feels right doing it. IE not a brick holding it and can fight a 3LB walleye...