best bang for buck ice rod.

johnnybo1

Actually those Abu Garcia Veritas combos are very good quality for what you get. The reels are MUCH better quality than the reels on the St. Croix combos. Guides with actual inserts (aluminum oxide or similar) rather than the crap stainless steel inserts on many others.

Yes they are white but its only the blank.... the handles are black....

Burt :)

the st Croix rods are pretty good for 25-30$...but make sure you check a few out, IMO the guides are not always spined right, and the actions are not always consistent (as is this case with most factor rods lol)

I also really like frabill rods...if you ever see any older discontinued frabill ultra ice or amplifier rods, buy it and then PM and sell it to me hahahah...really good rods and much cheaper than a thorne bros

a lot of my shimano reels are double duty summer and winter, but for strictly ice fishing the newer generation fx and ax models in the 1000 size are hard to beat and they're cheap

HT are not the best quality but plenty good enough for ice fishing and with 50$ you could get 2 combos

for a 50$ combo you have a lot of options and you won't really go wrong with any of them

thanks for all the feedback and merry X-Mas to every one. I'm going out tomorrow to go shopping and I have taking everything you have all said into account. I will post back with my purchase and give my 2 cents on why i decided to pick it.

Thanks a bunch have a great newyears

hey all,

Ended up getting a medium-light Fenwick rod at CTC. They had a bunch of HT, lightning rods (untra lights only) and a bunch of other brands I was not to sure about. The Fenwick has a pretty sensitive tip, a pretty nice backbone, looked quality and felt the best in my hand plus it was only 30 bucks even though I'm sure I could of found it else where cheaper. I'm going on the ice tomorrow and I didn't feel like going all the way to sail or bass pro. The reel I have on temporarily is crap and I will for sure be looking into getting a new reel in the near future. Has any one used the BPS Tiny Lite spinning reel? It seems perfect for a ice setup at a great price.

BPS Tiny Lite - http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-TinyLite-Spinning-Reel/product/91147/

I also got a spring tip but it seems real cheap ($1.99 made by sub zero) and the shrink wrap that was suppose to hold it onto the rod wouldn't even go over the first eye. I used electrical tape for now just to try it out but I think it might just get in the way if its constantly falling off all the time.

I will be on the Ice tomorrow bright and early I will post back with a fishing report when I get home.

Thanks for all the advice from you all cheers!

Johnny Boy

if you can find them HT polar light rod med light, they took over the old polar gold rod. good back bone with a light tip that will bob up or down when the fish hits even before you feel it.

they are 13 bucks in the states about 18 bucks here. i own 5 of them

I agree with dwc67, the tip is like a spring tip (similar to some of the Meatstick rods) and with really good backbone for the hookset.

Burt :)

Just realized you're in Hamilton, you know there is a sail in Burlington right?

I'm from Hamilton and currently living there while I'm in school. I actually live up in Keswick with my girlfriend and I will be back here for good in April once I'm done. Problem is we only have one car and she uses it for work. Unfortunately I'm carless in Hamilton :wallbash: .

I was on the ice today and caught a few perch. over all I'm pretty happy how the rod felt and worked but I 100% need a new reel, its already pissing me off. It was a short day sadly due to 56 Kph WIND GUSTS It just got way to cold out. We fished for 2 hours and then took off. Caught about 40 perch mostly dinks. I was just glad I finally got out on the ice.