Wow did anyone see this? Short Hills hunt and protest

tb4me

I'm not sure what to think of it.

Seen like a lot if money to pay OPP officers to block of entrances to the park during the hunt...

I see if from both sides I guess...

Edited by N.A.W

well, the article is based on Haudenosaunee Nation who hunt these local area's, including in my city, Hamilton.

We have a protected area on the west side of the escarpment.

walking trails, mountain biking trails, etc.

I started mountain biking these trails in about 1990 (10 years old).

We would see nice deer (big ones too) when we rode.

It was a beautiful area.

I need to clarify this is DIRECTLY in city limits (I mean, back yards backing directly onto the property, with homes surrounding the entire property). Its not an "edge" or anything like that.

about four years ago some neighbours started seeing blood on the trails. Thinking the worst they called the cops. Cops set up a watch and found natives going in at night and using crossbows, shooting deer.

this was rather alarming, as this had never been done before, native, non native, or the alike.

so the natives were told you are directly in city limits, stop it.

of course the next thing that happened is we had bands from all over the area protesting their right to hunt this land. (and now, they are going to do it in the day).

it hadn't been done in decades. but now it had to be done.

what happened next? well, as it is a public park, the public started using fire works to scare the deer when the natives were coming to hunt. that didn't go over well with the natives so the police SHUT DOWN the public park when the natives were going to hunt.

that's some facts.

I'm not going to post my feelings, as that isn't allowed in this thread.

but those are the facts.

let me attach a map of the area referenced in the article (the Hamilton part). Note the scale in the bottom left corner of map. Notice how SMALL of an area this is. Also notice how directly in the middle of the city this area is.

8zev.jpg

Edited by Steve

I think people should be more up in arms about the guy that stabbed a family pet to death in BC while it was on a leash for a walk...i understand the need for the controlled hunt to preserve the park just like Rondeau Park years ago...I think it should be a shotgun hunt but thats just me ....I own a crossbow and a compound but never use them anymore....I find stressed meat isnt as tasty as a instant kill.

Ya, I wouldn't be happy to find someone hunting in my urban back yard, especially since there are 'two sets of rules', the ones I follow and the other ones that are unwritten and/or vague. If there is to be hunting on adjacent and/or city limits property, then full communication, debate and rules need to be written...for everyones sake.

Hunt all the deer you want but be smart about it...no?

well, the article is based on Haudenosaunee Nation who hunt these local area's, including in my city, Hamilton.

We have a protected area on the west side of the escarpment.

walking trails, mountain biking trails, etc.

I started mountain biking these trails in about 1990 (10 years old).

We would see nice deer (big ones too) when we rode.

It was a beautiful area.

I need to clarify this is DIRECTLY in city limits (I mean, back yards backing directly onto the property, with homes surrounding the entire property). Its not an "edge" or anything like that.

about four years ago some neighbours started seeing blood on the trails. Thinking the worst they called the cops. Cops set up a watch and found natives going in at night and using crossbows, shooting deer.

this was rather alarming, as this had never been done before, native, non native, or the alike.

so the natives were told you are directly in city limits, stop it.

of course the next thing that happened is we had bands from all over the area protesting their right to hunt this land. (and now, they are going to do it in the day).

it hadn't been done in decades. but now it had to be done.

what happened next? well, as it is a public park, the public started using fire works to scare the deer when the natives were coming to hunt. that didn't go over well with the natives so the police SHUT DOWN the public park when the natives were going to hunt.

that's some facts.

I'm not going to post my feelings, as that isn't allowed in this thread.

but those are the facts.

let me attach a map of the area referenced in the article (the Hamilton part). Note the scale in the bottom left corner of map. Notice how SMALL of an area this is. Also notice how directly in the middle of the city this area is.

8zev.jpg

Hunting within city limits is 100% legal according to the MNR and it is up to each municipality to set their own bylaws if firearms and bows can or cannot be used within city limits. That said, Hamilton does allow the use of firearms and bows for hunting within the city limits providing the user is fully licensed, ensures their projectiles do not leave the property, and is more than 100 meters from any dwelling.

While I disagree with allowing only natives to participate, in this case they are permitted to hunt within city limits and the public was blocked from the park during the native hunt as people setting off fireworks would interfere with the hunt and cause problems.

Follow this link for detailed maps (the area you're describing is on one of the maps) and firearms related bylaws.

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/6B512F07-8535-4A14-AC46-D24735E4AD6F/0/05114.pdf

3. GENERAL PROHIBITIONS
(1) No person shall discharge a firearm or bow within the limits of the City of
Hamilton, except as provided for in Section 5
5. EXEMPTIONS
(1) Subsections 3.(1) and 3.(2) of this By-law do not apply to:
(a) a person discharging a firearm who holds all hunting and firearms
licences required by law providing that the discharge occurs in the
areas indicated on the map attached as Schedule ‘A’; attached hereto,
which Schedules form part of this By-law.
B) a person discharging a bow who holds all hunting and firearms licences
required by law providing that the discharge occurs in the areas
indicated on the map attached as Schedule ‘B’; attached hereto, which
Schedules form part of this By-law.
Edited by ch312

so by that if a non native started shooting their arrows at the deer within that outlined area, all should be ok correct?

because as ridiculous as that sounds 'to me', I have a couple great friends who are hard core crossbow hunters would would love to take a couple of those residential deer.

so by that if a non native started shooting their arrows at the deer within that outlined area, all should be ok correct?

because as ridiculous as that sounds 'to me', I have a couple great friends who are hard core crossbow hunters would would love to take a couple of those residential deer.

You would need to obtain written permission from the landowner (City of Hamilton I guess?) in order to legally hunt the area, something I doubt would happen.

Why not fire off an email seeking permission to hunt the park and see what they say?

Nice bit of constructive information there CH132 thanks for your insight

Just trying to educate everyone as it's a very common misconception that hunting within city limits is prohibited everywhere when in fact it is up to each municipality to set their own bylaws.

Unfortunately, Brantford does not allow the discharge of firearms or bows within city limits except at approved ranges.

Another interesting link and survey for the area discussed.

http://www.animalalliance.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/AncasterWinteringDeerSurvey2009FinalMarch11-2010.pdf

It turns out that this 2009 winter survey found that the area where this hunt occurred has the highest deer concentration in the area with 1.21 deer per hectare. 1 deer per hectare = 100 deer per square kilometer so this survey found that the area where this hunt occurred had a deer density of 121 deer per square kilometer!

That's a ridiculous amount of deer (unhealthy for the herd) and it was likely the result of this survey that justified allowing the hunt. Why bother using taxpayer dollars to fund a cull when natives can reduce the population for free?

While it's not fair that only natives were allowed to hunt, it was a cheap and easy fix to reduce deer numbers to better the herd.

• 4 weeks later...

Its irresponsible hunters like the one referenced below is why there are issues. This is a freaking city.

"My property backs onto the KILLING ZONE I have lived here for over 40 years The deer are part of the landscape in my garden I am able to identify many of the individuals by their antler shape their colour and by their habits. Last spring One of the “ladies” had her twins up close to the house and she allowed me to film it. Around this time last year another of “the ladies” came here to die she was SHOT I was able to track her back to where she was shot. If I could track her (I am almost 70) the Hunter could have tracked her and put her out of her misery. The RBG will never see another penny of support from me any any others I can influence"

Yes, some sensationalism, but unless you are a hardened hunter I'm quite sure none of us want a dying animal coming to our property to die cause the hunter wasn't responsible enough to finish off their job.