Quinte Winds not looking good

RangerGuy

~~~~High of +2 winds at 25 from the west on Sat. should be okay under the Cement Plant

And Long Reach... launch at Picton Harbour, run up the west side of Picton Bay and that should keep you out of the wind.

Some fish were caught on Long Reach this past weekend.

HH

with those winds adolphus reach will be tough.

you'll be limited to "one rod per person" water UNLESS you can duck behind the lighthouse point on the north shore.....careful water comes up shallow quickly but we often do well just NE of the lighthouse.

watch the gusts.....

oh - and have fun :)

never been to picton harbour, how is the parking and what does it cost?

I think it is minimal as far a charges are concerned... drop box near the launch.

Parking, especially this time of year is the challenge. Don't, I repeat don't park in the hotel parking lot as folks have been getting tickets... it's private property. You might have to do some walking to get a safe place to park.

We were up last weekend. Mid week last week, our trip looked like a write off based on the forecast for pretty high winds. Well, I'm glad we didn't take too much notice as Saturday turned out to be a great day on the water.

Moral of the story, don't let the weather man mess with your plans!

HH

If you take the ferry across to the east side of the bay, travel about 2 miles along #33 and you'll see a trailer park on the right. It's got a good ramp into Adolphus Reach and there won't be any traffic and there's acres to park in.

If their closed, go just a bit further on 33 and turn left on #8 and go north 1 mile to Dorland. There's another camp ground on your left that we stayed in for years. It's a decent dirt ramp and again there's acres to park in.

Don't know if either place is open this time of year Greg, but it's another option for you.

adolphustown park is open....

but it is very very shallow lew.

water levels are a bit better this year, but the last number of years that launch has been a no-go. (and i run a 17' tiller boat).

i love that launch however (if it was deeper).

tons of parking and little traffic. puts your right in the heart of the fishing.

I haven't stayed in Adolphustown for probably 15 years Steve and didn't realise it's too shallow now. The other camp at Dorland was usable until about 5 years ago, but it may be too shallow now too.

Oh well, it was a thought.

that dorland ramp is VERY secretive ... :)

your probably the first person i've seen mention it in all my years on the net.

superdad showed it to me a few years back.

when i used to do my late december trips, we stayed in Haybay, so the dorland ramp was the closest to our trailer park.

ahhhh those were good memories....cold...but fun!

Steve, we stayed in the Dorland park for probably 15-20 years on our annual spring Quinte trip. Nothing fancy but a decent place to throw up some tents and great fishing just a short boat ride away.

Here's a favorite pic of mine taken down at the water front.

I miss those days.

Cnv1429-2.jpg

There is a launch on the south side of the Telegraph narrows bridge. It may be nasty for a short time in west winds and you will have to run around Forresters Island, which would be pretty rough, but once past Forresters, Long Reach would be relatively easy to fish... relatively!

There's also the launch at Deseronto, but I would bet that launch would be problematic with a west wind gaining strength all the way from Big Bay, through Telegragh Narrows.

HH

Edit: Telegraph launch is on the south side just as you get over the bridge.

Edited by Headhunter

Thank you guys!.. I'm bring'n my wife and sister-in-law out for the day so I'm hoping the wind lets up and to find a easy place to launch.

We got stuck at the ferry once .. it took my wife and 3 guys waiting to launch, to hold the ranger off the dock & rocks while I got the truck.... that was about as tough a time I've ever had pulling a boat out.