New ATV rules coming

Bernie

There was a private members bill introduced to allow the use of side by side and two up ATV's on the road along with the present single seat riding.
It looks like it went through the house and was passed.
It will now be the responsibility of each riding/municipality to allow them on local roads.

The link below was the discussion in the house.

Glad to see they finally came around to do this.

We have been fighting for years to get the City of Kawartha Mistakes to allow ATVs on some of our local roads where necessary to connect trail systems. They finally relented and did allow us to pass through Fenelon Falls connecting two sections of trails but to the best of my knowledge that is it so far. I don't see how this new law is going to help us much if it is dependent on the municipality passing a bylaw "allowing" us to ride on local roads.

What this looks like to me is that now I am going to have to spend the money to get plates and renew my tags every year (I already have insurance) and I still won't be able to drive my ATV down the road in front of my house. I don't see a win in this for our area, just a lot more money going into the goverment sink hole.

Snowmobilers have had to do it for years and ATV riders acess the snowmobile trails and cross roads to acess them as well so it's time to pony up and pay like the sledders do !!!! It's been a long time Comming and should have been done years ago there will be more to come as well in the future

We have been allowed to use ATV's for the last several years on our local roads. It's surprising how many are being used.
I use mine to push no start vehicles to my shop within town. Works very well!
You will need to put some pressure on your local municipality Cliff.

Snowmobilers have had to do it for years and ATV riders acess the snowmobile trails and cross roads to acess them as well so it's time to pony up and pay like the sledders do !!!! It's been a long time Comming and should have been done years ago there will be more to come as well in the future

Time to pony up? When we can ride the roads like sledders do then I'll be happy to "pony up". Right now I can't drive my ATV 10 yards down Snug Harbour Rd. without risking a ticket (and yes I have been stopped and issued a warning).

As far as using the trails; you buy trail passes for your sled, well I buy trail passes for my ATV. I and many of my friends also contribute a lot of hours every year to cleaning garbage off the rail trails and sled trails, (1800 lbs on the last clean up) many of which we have only very limited access to and have to constantly fight to keep what limited access we do have. Many of us spend many hours every year doing trail improvements, building bridges, removing fallen trees...I have never once seen sledders out there picking garbage up and hauling it to the dump.

Bernie, we have been fighting for 8 years now to try to get our municipality to allow ATVs on secondary roads in our area. They even hired consultants at one point (from Toronto) who just plain told me at one meeting "we don't care what you think or what you want, you'll get what we give you!".

One of our councelors owns property where one of the rail trails passes through, he has managed to convince the city to ban the use of ATVs on that section of trail and in fact there are plans in the works to sell that section of the trail to the adjacient property owners. This will in effect make that area private property and block the only access to many miles of trails. This won't affect sledders because they can skirt the area using local roads.

This new law won't have any effect on us here at all other than to cost us more money for something we can't use because this municipality has their head where the sun don't shine.

One of our councelors owns property where one of the rail trails passes through, he has managed to convince the city to ban the use of ATVs on that section of trail and in fact there are plans in the works to sell that section of the trail to the adjacient property owners. This will in effect make that area private property and block the only access to many miles of trails. This won't affect sledders because they can skirt the area using local roads.

Just my thoughts Cliff, but if there's as much garbage thrown on the trails as you say, and if I owned some of that property, I'd want it closed to those guys too.

Always only takes a few pigs to spoil things for everyone.

Just my thoughts Cliff, but if there's as much garbage thrown on the trails as you say, and if I owned some of that property, I'd want it closed to those guys too.

Always only takes a few pigs to spoil things for everyone.

Lew, you'd be amazed at how many plastic water bottles, pop cans and nutrition bar wrappers we find. Most of the garbage is within easy walking distance from an area where cars can park, it tapers off drastically the farther we get from civilized areas. A lot of these hikers are the ones that are apposed to ATVs sharing their walking trail but if it wasn't for the ATVs many of these trails wouldn't even exist anymore. I served on the Board of Directors for both KATV and Haliburton ATV associations. You would be amazed at how much money and time they contribute every year to the development of new trails and the maintance of existing ones.

Would be nice to also include us riders on ORM's (Off Road Motorcycles) in Regulation 316/03 as well. We ride light with minimal garbage stuffed in our pockets, just as odd looking as the rest of the OHV pack, have some pennies to inject into the economy, and sometimes have to wear our helmets backwards because we made a wrong turn 2 miles back. Perhaps I should install side-cars on my bikes and consider them official "quads". Hopefully there is no resitance. Gonna give it a shot anyway.

There was a private members bill introduced to allow the use of side by side and two up ATV's on the road along with the present single seat riding.

It looks like it went through the house and was passed.

It will now be the responsibility of each riding/municipality to allow them on local roads.

The link below was the discussion in the house.

Glad to see they finally came around to do this.

Sorry to burst everyones bubble, but that was only a private members bill and even though the vote approved of the "idea", that does not make it law yet, far from it. It has to go before many boards such as MTO, OPP and a host of others that all throw in their thoughts. Then it has to back to the legislature for 3 more readings before any possible hope of making it an amendment to the regulation. Part of the problem with side x sides is their width, a lot of country roads don't have a wide enough shoulder to allow their use, so now you're riding half on, half off the road and becoming an obstacle(hazard) to other vehicular traffic. Why people buy them when the rules don't allow road use in the southern part of the province kinda makes you wonder. Maybe dealers should clue people in to that fact.