Best fly in fishing trip. When and Where

lovetofish

Hey guys, my stepfather wants to take me on a once-in-a-lifetime fishing adventure and I don't even know where to begin to look. I've seen some amazing fishing trips posted here. Looking for some opinions on where and what time of year. A few of the trips he was looking at were $10,000 per person.

Thanks for any help.

LTF

Man my trips in Order would be for very exotic destinations. Taimen fishing in Mongolia. Golden Dorado in Bolivia would be my top two choices. Staying in Canada, Plummers with the outpost at the tree river for char and then finally Sutton River for Brook trout. Times of the year its best to ask an outfitter. GTS.

Then Plummers for sure with half the time at the tree river outpost for char. Huge lake trout and pike. Artic Grayling and massive char.

http://www.plummerslodges.com/

Yep. I spent 15 years guiding up @ Great Bear.

There is some good pike fishing and great fishing for lakers and grayling.

The Tree River outpost has world record Char.

If you want coloured up char and a chance at some schooled up spawning lakers go in August.

If you want silver char and shallow water lakers (as shallow as 18") go in early July.

One caution is that early season can be hit and miss due to ice limiting traveling.

You have better grayling fishing later in the season as the water warms up as well.

If you want to go to the Tree you will have to stay @ the main lodge as the trip is run out of there.

If you want better pike fishing stay at Trophy Lodge. You can still fish char out of here but it is on the Coppermine river.

The fish are smaller but there are more of them. Tree River is an overnight trip while Coppermine is a long day trip.

Out of Trophy there is a fly out to the Anderson river which is pretty cool.

There are usually tons of whitefish, lakers and grayling here, but the main interest is in the inconnu that hit the river to spawn starting in late July.

There is a stupendous fly out for grayling out of the main lodge.

Both lodges have the ability to produce 60+ pound trout at any time during the season. :clapping:

Like this one. B)

IM004426.jpg

i

I would love to fish for post spawn pike and lakers. Not sure when the ice goes out up there

Ice usually goes out the 1st week of July but have seen bad pack ice as late as the 3rd week.

One year we had to fly people out to open water for the first 2 weeks of July. :o

If you want to fish the early season the safest bet is the second week of July.

From what ive been reading, whitefish river is suppose to be great for pike. Any idea which lodge we have to go to to get to whitefish river

The Whitefish River is out of Trophy Lodge.

It's at the head of Bydand Bay.

The river mouth has shallow edges that drop off into 20-30 fee mid channel.

Lots of good piking there.

There is also the Pike River that is closer to the lodge.

No big ones in there but lots of smaller guys.

This spot can save the day when it's too gnarly to hit the main lake.

Capture_zps6e411f87.jpg

There are numerous "ultimate fishing vacations" in Canada.

Here are a couple:

http://www.fairmont.com/kenauk-montebello/

I have done the kenauk trip before and it's amazing, stay on papineau in one of the private chalets and catch all the bass you want, or try for some rainbows and lakers. I have beaten multiple PBs here, and if you get tired of papineau tow your boat down to the Ottawa river. They also rent boats if you need one.

The Great Bear Lake & Tree River experience will ruin anyone for life. It is as Dave would know as well, simply incredible. With char in the mix I'd stick to August but if wanting a better laker experience I'd like to try July. Plummers Trophy Lodge would be awesome to try too.

I have a short "big trip" bucketlist for the moment that includes Ungava for atlantics and char, Sutton specks, Athabasca lakers & pike, Great Slave lakers & pike, Costa Rica for tarpon, and Panama for roosters and bills. As far as Ontario goes, would simply like to see more stretches of the Attawapiskat & Nipigon.

I don't think you could go wrong with many of the suggestions...guess it depends on what you're looking for mostly. If I could "go anywhere", it would probably be up to Scott Lake Lodge...60th parallel...northern Sask. The whole package is first class. It's close to Wollaston Lake Lodge and Hatchet Lake Lodge...both of which were listed already and that I'd put as #2 and #3 behind SLL. What an opportunity...good luck!

http://www.scottlakelodge.com/

If you guys are in to big pike, Nothern Ontario has many offerings, including one of my favs, Sportsmans Lodge on Little Vermilion. Several OFNers have been there (most make return trips). At under $1000 per person for 7 days, its a pretty good deal too.

Here are some sample pike I caught there...

Huge-Northern-Pike-105.jpg

013.jpg

Big-Head-Pike-144.jpg

d6-3.jpg

You mentioned staying in Canada, but if you expand that to the US there is some incredible saltwater fishing. A place like the Florida Keys you could find nice, safe places to stay and familair food (nothing to exotic if that's what you want to avoid). There are many different trips to take to target things like marlin, giant grouper, sharks, cuda, tarpon, stuff you can't find anywhere near home. Maybe it's not what you're looking for but thought I'd mention it.

Edited by timmeh